CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-29-2006, 05:27 AM   #1
Sean Harrison

Profile:
I will be going to my local watch store to pick up my Timex OVA and Sleek that were in for repair.
The OVA just stopped working one day (not just the batteries!) and I accidentally ripped the buttons off my Sleek when i took my weight vest off, but that was the 3rd,yes 3rd time I'd knocked buttons off the Sleek!
So anyway, I have a G-shock (yes , a lot of watches) and it doesn't have many functions... what do other Crossfitters recomend if I ever go out and buy another digital watch. Which I know I'll do someday. I love the functions of the Timex but love the durability of the G-shock.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:51 PM   #2
Frank M Needham

Profile:
I've got a Timex Ironman, works great no probs so far.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:15 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Sean, I'm a big watch guy too. I love the OVA and have had no problems with it yet. I think Timex has really got the functions down. 3 alarms, countdown timer, interval timer good for Tabata's, great light, and the OVA takes care of the timer button getting pushed off during lifting. Other digital watchs seem to fall short on functions I use all the time. I have an Oakley, G-Shock, Sunto, and Nike, digital watches, and don't use them. The OVA wakes me up, then tells me to work out (alarm), then times my workouts.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:22 PM   #4
Michael Manseau

Profile:
Larry:
How much of a pain is the OVA for figuring out the functions? I have a Timex 100lap ironman watch & you pretty well need the manual to program it.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:29 PM   #5
Chris Siler

Profile:
I like the Nike watches. They have a countdown timer with multiple stages, great for Tabata stuff. Also they have a huge lap memory so I can break down my split times for all the metcon workouts.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:00 PM   #6
Sean Harrison

Profile:
I think the OVA is great ( the Sleek has more functions such as a basic counter..just that, you press the big button and a big #1 on the screen goes up to 2, then to 3 every time you press it...great for counting sets) it's just that it froze on me someday.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:03 PM   #7
Jerry Hill

Profile:
Timex has the functions but no durability - I’ve burned through 3 of them...nothing beats a G-shock for durability but they lack function. The best I’ve seen so far is the referee's watch by G-shock...minimal function but has a countdown timer with repeat and interval.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:16 PM   #8
Eric Allen Kerr

Profile:
I've picked up an OVA based on Larry's recommendation after I killed my Nike watch (before that I killed a high end Timex and before that, and before that...let's just say that I'm rough on watches).

I found it easy to use and haven't managed to tear anything off of it, yet.

My only minor complaints so far is that:

-I've got to crank it down a little tighter than I like to keep it from spinning around on my wrist (I have realtively small wrists though).

-Twice I've had the clock get changed to something other than the correct hour for no apparent reason (weird because the way the buttons are placed and the way it is on the side of your wrist should lessen the change of random button hits...and you have to hold a button to change the time).

-I would like the second interval chime to a bit louder.

But based on my experince with it thus far and the price point (you can find it cheap online), I'd recommend the OVA.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:46 AM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Michael, I have had no problems with it and have had an OVA for about a year. I think setting up the timers is super easy. Eric, glad you like it...If you keep the "Start Lap" (top) button depressed the time changes to T2 (second time zone). If you have a problem with that again, just change your T2 to your proper time and you will never notice. I would like the G-shock with the Timex and some of the cool Sunto functions...should go into watch design.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:29 AM   #10
Eric Allen Kerr

Profile:
Larry,

Ah, I wasn't aware that the Start Lap button would change the watch to the 2nd time zone. Thanks for the heads up on that.