CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-15-2016, 01:34 PM   #1
Sal Villani

Profile:
Shoulder Issue

4 weeks ago, we were doing ring muscle ups as part of a WoD. After my first MU, my left shoulder muscles ached a bit; felt like they cramped up. I stretched and rolled out certain areas and it felt ok. After my second MU, I had the same feeling. Again, I stretched and rolled the muscles out a bit and did not continue to do any MUs. The WoD also included HSPUs. I attempted a few and my shoulder started to ache. I stopped all pushing movements for that day. Over the next week, I was having trouble getting into the rack position with cleans and felt the ache on the descent with presses (at about forehead level). At that point, I ceased all pressing movements through today.

I was evaluated by a sports trainer who determined that I probably overloaded the muscles of and around my shoulder (rotator cuff, bicep and tricep). It was clearly evident that these muscles (teres minor, infra, supra and subscap) were extremely tight and inflamed. Over the next 2 weeks, we worked on mobility through very deep massage and active release of the muscles, light shoulder rehab movements, and heat (little to no ice ala KStarr). I regained nearly complete mobility in all directions, except for some discomfort in certain positions. My strength is there, but not 100%.

Here's what remains: if I move my arm across my body at shoulder height and then press it in with my right hand (as in a tricep/shoulder stretch), I feel discomfort in the area where the short head of the bicep and the pectoralis connect to the shoulder - right below the deltoid. And a little discomfort in what I believe is the infraspinatus or even the short head of the tricep. If I press with weight, I feel some discomfort in the same areas.

Also, when I have my arm down by my side and then rotate my hand clockwise (so that my palm faces rear then outward), I feel a clicking in my shoulder in the deltoid area, but no pain.

I decided to have an ortho take a look. X-Rays were fine, and he was happy with my mobility and strength. However, due to the discomfort, he suggested I get an MRI if (he said big IF) I don't see a real improvement in 2 weeks. I don't want to have an MRI. I'm highly claustrophobic.

I do have a good rehab program, and the deep massage and release (although painful) seems to be working. I just want to see if anyone had a similar issue and can share their rehab experience, and see if you have any advice for building up strength and stability in order to get back to muscle ups.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:03 PM   #2
Michael Hollister

Profile:
Re: Shoulder Issue

Sal,

I've also had shoulder issues and know it's no fun. Overhead stuff sometimes causes issues, as well as muscle-ups and ring work. Pain in the same locations you described. I wouldn't be surprised if I have a tear in my right shoulder. But I only get the pain when I know my form is sloppy.

A couple questions for you:

1) Have you had any previous injury to your shoulder?

2) Do you ever notice pain in other areas of your body like lower back, hips, knees, or neck?

3) What kind of work do you do for your day job?

4) How do you think your posture is overall?

The reason I ask is, although I was having shoulder and neck problems, a therapist identified that my hips were rotated and out of alignment. When I fixed my hips, I fixed my shoulders.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:38 AM   #3
Sal Villani

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hollister View Post
Sal,

I've also had shoulder issues and know it's no fun. Overhead stuff sometimes causes issues, as well as muscle-ups and ring work. Pain in the same locations you described. I wouldn't be surprised if I have a tear in my right shoulder. But I only get the pain when I know my form is sloppy.

A couple questions for you:

1) Have you had any previous injury to your shoulder?

2) Do you ever notice pain in other areas of your body like lower back, hips, knees, or neck?

3) What kind of work do you do for your day job?

4) How do you think your posture is overall?

The reason I ask is, although I was having shoulder and neck problems, a therapist identified that my hips were rotated and out of alignment. When I fixed my hips, I fixed my shoulders.
Michael,
Thanks for your response. Over the past few months, I have narrowed down the cause or causes of my shoulder issues. To answer your questions.
1. No previous injury. I just felt muscle strain similar to tendonitis pain after a ring muscle up.
2. Yes. I have QL tightness and glute medius tightness on the left side. I had a hip replacement in 2007 which definitely caused some pelvic shifting and scar tissue in the glute area. I have been working beyond diligently to break up the scar tissue and keep loose.
3. Desk job, but I get up and walk around a few times per hour and stretch 2-3x per day (flexors, hams, etc.). Plus, I do some good mobility work at lunch a few times per week.
4. Posture is not great, but improving with increased mobility

Over the past 2 months, my shoulder was been healing to the point where I can do MUs without pain and go heavy-ish with presses. After each set, I do get some tightness forming in my traps and neck and immediately roll it out, and it has been working. I also have tightness in my lat and teres minor. I am constantly stretching and rolling.

I have also been rehabbing the smaller muscles in and around my shoulder and back as I've noticed they are weak. With all of its positives, I think that an area where CF is lacking (or at least CFers lack the education) is training other muscles that do not typically get trained during strength sessions. I believe there needs to be balance in order to avoid injury. It's a shame that sometimes injuries are the impetus to educating oneself on how to avoid injuries.

Sal
Old 03-24-2016, 08:29 AM   #4
Michael Hollister

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Villani View Post
Michael,
Thanks for your response. Over the past few months, I have narrowed down the cause or causes of my shoulder issues. To answer your questions.
1. No previous injury. I just felt muscle strain similar to tendonitis pain after a ring muscle up.
2. Yes. I have QL tightness and glute medius tightness on the left side. I had a hip replacement in 2007 which definitely caused some pelvic shifting and scar tissue in the glute area. I have been working beyond diligently to break up the scar tissue and keep loose.
3. Desk job, but I get up and walk around a few times per hour and stretch 2-3x per day (flexors, hams, etc.). Plus, I do some good mobility work at lunch a few times per week.
4. Posture is not great, but improving with increased mobility

Over the past 2 months, my shoulder was been healing to the point where I can do MUs without pain and go heavy-ish with presses. After each set, I do get some tightness forming in my traps and neck and immediately roll it out, and it has been working. I also have tightness in my lat and teres minor. I am constantly stretching and rolling.

I have also been rehabbing the smaller muscles in and around my shoulder and back as I've noticed they are weak. With all of its positives, I think that an area where CF is lacking (or at least CFers lack the education) is training other muscles that do not typically get trained during strength sessions. I believe there needs to be balance in order to avoid injury. It's a shame that sometimes injuries are the impetus to educating oneself on how to avoid injuries.

Sal
Sal,

That’s great to hear about your shoulder improvement over the past few months. Glad to hear you’re back into doing those movements again. You took the words right out of my mouth regarding CF’s lack of attention to the “other muscles” that get neglected.

Are you talking about stabilization muscles?

The reason I asked about your day-job and posture is that, my theory is that it’s our sedentary lifestyles (in between WODs) that contributes to the neglect of these “other” stabilization muscles and leads to pain and injury. When our bodies are designed to be upright and in motion, but instead most of our time (outside the gym) is spent sitting and using limited range of motion, we neglect these muscles. And it only makes sense that this would have side effects, namely our posture collapsing and compensation occurring in the form of things like rounded shoulders, thoracic flexion, rotated hips, knocked knees, or flat feet. Pretty poor foundation for power snatches and a recipe for pain…

Is this in the ballpark of what you’re talking about? Have you found any solutions to address this? I know MobilityWOD and stuff like that are out there, but I’m talking about a more holistic method for restoring functional alignment to our bodies.

Michael
Old 03-28-2016, 05:37 PM   #5
Sal Villani

Profile:

Yes, I'm referring to stabilization muscles. I am now reducing my CF metcon days and working in more weight routines to strengthen minor and major muscles. I am also going for active release and stretching. All seems to be working well.
My shoulder held up during 16.5, but I lack stamina and the burpees destroyed me. Now that the open is over, it's time to get stronger.