CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-19-2015, 08:04 PM   #11
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Rotator Cuff and Biceps Tendon Tear?

Keeping us updated here is fine with me. Good luck with it.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:59 AM   #12
Dawn Rivera

Profile:

Getting ready to go under the knife next week. I have a 20% rotator tear and a slap tear that I sustained 29 years ago playing sports. I'm 46 so my surgeon recommended not repairing the slap since it is not getting worse over the years and, depending on the rotator, leaving that alone too and just cleaning it up (along with any other good stuff in there).

We are going to go with a biceps tenodesis surgery which should make for an easier recovery and hopefully give me close to 100% recovery.

Make sure you get more than one opinion and do your research as well. I am hoping to be back at my box within a few weeks after surgery just to work on basic (very basic) mobility/stretching. Thankful my box has a 15lb bar for when I can hold something to my back and start doing light workouts.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #13
Alden Hingle

Profile:

Thought I would provide an update.

Been going to physical therapy once per week for the shoulder for the last six weeks. Therapist assessed my shoulder as having good stability and very good RC strength (except for supraspinatus). Biggest problem area for pain is in the biceps tendon/ front deltoid area. She/ I have been working on ROM (primarily improving internal rotation) and strengthening of the supraspinatus.

I am back to doing push-ups, assisted pull-ups (one band), dumbbell rows and kettlebell swings without problems. Therapist wants me to avoid overhead lifts for now. Pain in the shoulder is not a significant issue during the day and I can perform most normal activities (tuck in shirt, shower, put on belt, put things in jacket pocket) but my sleeping has been affected. A couple of times each night, the shoulder bites hard, waking me up and making it difficult to find a comfortable position. Unless the situation improves, I plan to opt for a clean up of the joint, removal of the loose stuff around the SLAP tear and biceps tenodesis surgery in the fall. I want the surgery just after summer adventure season so I have time to recover for ski season.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:07 PM   #14
Alden Hingle

Profile:

Update

Not long after previous post, pushups, pull-ups and anything overhead just became too painful to continue.

Had surgery on 1 Oct for R/C (supraspinatus) repair, cleanup of torn labrum and sub acromial decompression. Upon going in, doctor determined biceps tendon was intact and did not require repair but the arthritis was considerably worse than expected.

I started physical therapy two weeks post surgery and am doing reasonably well with ROM. In most ROM movements I have about 3/4 or more of the desired ROM. The main challenge area is internal rotation (arm behind back). At best, I can get the back of my hand to the lower part of my butt. Trying to raise it to mid-butt is so uncomfortable, I cannot hold the position. I try to work it every time I think about it so it will loosen up. I had lousy internal rotation there pre-surgery so no surprise that it needs a lot of work.

I can't start strengthening for another 6 weeks so I have nothing to report there.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:42 PM   #15
Alden Hingle

Profile:

I have progressed in strength and can row, do pull-downs, knee pushups and small number of regular pushups and lift 10# X20 reps with the repaired shoulder. My physical therapist gave the shoulder a good checkout yesterday and discharged me from treatment. She said I should ease back into my routine but she is not a fan of overhead lifting and recommended I avoid any overhead work. My surgeon's guidance, on the other hand, was to work back into my normal routine slowly and "if it hurts, don't do it." He had no guidance for avoiding exercises; he just emphasized that I needed to keep the rotator cuffs strong and healthy.

I am confused by the therapist's recommendation. I've read the American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons guidelines as well as the ones from Mass General that I found online; neither of those seem to advise against overhead lifting. There are exercises they say to avoid but overhead lifts with the bar in front of the shoulders is not one of them. They do talk about working back into the loads slowly and deliberately. One talks about not increasing the load by more than 10% every two weeks; that makes plenty of sense and is an easy recommendation to follow.

Am I making a mistake by putting overhead pressing back into my workout routine? I understand that heavy singles probably aren't in my best interest (ever) but overhead lifts provide useful strength for everyday life.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:52 AM   #16
Chris Gerhardt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rockett View Post
So some SLAP tears are painful and others are just present and seen on MRI. It depends on your exam and location of pain. If SLAP tears are fresh some can heal depending on size of tear and age of patient. Usually one gives something 3 months to try to heal and see if it is getting better on its own. The doctor is talking about biceps tenodesis. If you google my name I have a blog that talks about biceps/SLAP tears and biceps tenodesis and returning to CrossFit.
Sean,

I found your blog, but I am having trouble finding that specific article about return to CrossFit. My wife has a SLAP tear and surgeon is suggesting SLAP repair and tenodesis. I am trying to find as much information about post surgical prognosis in the short and long term. I have an athlete that had the same injury and only had a surgical SLAP repair. She is back to 90% after 12 months. Your opinion would be greatly appreciate.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:02 PM   #17
Sean Rockett

Profile:

So I tell my patients if we perform a biceps tenodesis they are not to sweat for the first 10 days to make sure there is no infection from sweat dripping into the wound. Then I allow stationary bike and sedentary type exercise. Air squats in a sling as long as there is movement of the arm. Then there is a gradual progression to more active exercises without stressing the biceps repair. Eventually I tell people that they are returning to moderate weights 4 months and heavy lifting whether that is with a job or crossfire at 5 to 6 months. Then explosive things occur at 6 to 8 months usually. It also depends where the person is before the surgery as far as their fitness level and strength; so this guide is not absolute.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:32 PM   #18
Alden Hingle

Profile:

Sean,

I did a variety of internet searches but could not find what looked like an authoritative answer. Is there any reason (age, type of RC repair, etc.) that I should avoid overhead lifts, KB presses, KB snatches as I progress in the strengthening of my shoulder? I'm 5+ months post surgery and the shoulder feels good. I can do regular pushups and have progressed to overhead presses with a 45# bar. I'd appreciate your opinion as to whether it is appropriate to work these exercises back into my routine.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:59 PM   #19
Sean Rockett

Profile:

I can only comment on what I allow my patients to do and yes I let them get back to CrossFit and its exercises once they have achieved appropriate strength.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:58 PM   #20
Alden Hingle

Profile:

Sean - thanks very much for your reply. I think I can speak for folks here that we appreciate your input and insight very much...