CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-30-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Good Orthopedist in NYC

anyone know a good orthopedist in NYC, preferably near midtown?
Old 08-30-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
Randy Gruezo

Profile:
Re: Good Orthopedist in NYC

I know you're not asking for this, but I have a great physical therapist. He knows the best orthopedist in NYC and he's located in Midtown.

He did physical therapy for Pyrros Dimas (no joke). Pyrros requested him. He also did my shoulder too when I tore my labrum during an Oly competition and decided not to go surgery route.

His name is Timothy Stump

http://www.professionalpt.com/index....lId=10034.html

(link w/f/s)

I know he'll be able to help you out.

It's been awhile since I've talked to him but he's awesome as well as the rest of his staff.

Hope this helps,
Randy Gruezo
www.crossfitsouthflorida.com

P.S. my hometown is in Washington Heights so let me know if you need anything more.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
Arik Levy

Profile:

I had the best knee surgery ever (I've two in my life) for a torn ACL. Dr. Donald Rose on the upper east side. Before the surgery my knee would always blow out. I really didn't want a cadaver graft or the patella graft (then recover from basically two operations) so he does a hamstring graft. Hamstrings are twice as strong as ligaments and he took a small portion from the inner thigh area. Never notice it plus my knee is better than before.

I can find the number if you can't.

Good luck.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:04 PM   #4
Andy Shirley

Profile:

As a note, who you go to would depend on the type of injury. Most orthos specialize. There are knee guys, shoulder guys, etc. There are even more specializations within this. Sure, most will do anything, but they have what they are good at. And the more they do of a specific procedure the better they get.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
Elliot Royce

Profile:

shoulder in this case, although I tend to need various body parts at different times. Ideally someone within an orthopedic practice would be best so I could stick with them for different injuries.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:51 PM   #6
Elliot Royce

Profile:

Randy:

I checked out Tim and have booked an appt. He certainly seems like he has the relevant experience to figure out what's going on. Basically, I get pain in the elbow and along the back of the shoulder on the negative of a push press but there is no major pain when the doctor pushes on the muscles. I also get pain when I sleep on my side. Apart from that, the pain is largely absent. A bit weird, huh?
Old 08-31-2007, 07:42 PM   #7
Randy Gruezo

Profile:

Elliott,

Not weird at all. I tore my right labrum during an Oly comp. However didn't know it was tore until a month later. Also during that month didn't have any strength (NO STRENGTH) Why a month? Thought all I needed was rest. I finally decided to see a Dr when I couldn't sleep through the night because of the pain. Actually I woke up in pain so that morning called a highly regarded orthopedist.

Fortunately, I saw him the same morning which is generally impossible. But luckily I had a good network. I had the same symptons as you. However, I had no strength in my right shoulder found out via "can test." X-ray showed some bone spurs nothing abnormal except for the non-existent strength. Got MRI and there you go torn labrum. Anyhow decided not to do surgery and do intense rehab. Took about 1 yr to get full range and strength back w/o pain.

Come to think of it I have the name of my orthopedist. Dr. Howard Levy 212-744-8114 He's in the upper east side around york and 86. All i remember I took the 5 train to 86 lexington stop. He came highly regarded from my mentor Dr. Paul Juris.

http://www.hlevymd.com/index.php~practiceId=2440.html (Link w/f/s)

I know he can help you. He's in a practice with other orthopedist. Among them is the guy who invented the knee brace that you see on all the Offensive Lineman where in the NFL, NCAA.

You're on the right path not waiting for it to get worse like I did.

Good Luck,
Randy Gruezo
www.crossfitsouthflorida.com