CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 07-28-2007, 03:41 PM   #11
Richard Gonzalez

Profile:
A bit late into this, but I found the topic interesting. This is one of the best parts of reading the message board, I can actually research something I know little about. Anyways, I came across this guys blog which I felt very relevant to the topic at hand. He offers his opinion on "statistics" regarding "life-span" of certain cities.

And I know that this link does not match the Message Board Topic, but it is relevant to the conversation.
(WFS)
http://thomasdsegel.com/archives.php?id=A2006091
Old 08-07-2007, 09:20 PM   #12
Stephen Solano

Profile:
I went a retirement meeting through California's Public Employee Retirement System (PERS). They said the average life span after retirement for cops is 9 years. Now I don't know what else is in the equation, but they emphasised 9 years.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:31 PM   #13
Emiliano Leal

Profile:
Re: Fitness and Law Enforcement

I am a member of the Chicago Police Department.

We are eligible to retire at the age of 50. Therefore many retire within 5 years of making 50.

We receive our pension checks once a month. The AVERAGE police officer collects 18 pension checks corresponding to an AVERAGE life span of 18 months after retirement.

The average lifespan for Cook County which contains the city of Chicago is approximately 73-78 depending on gender, race.....

I have about 16 years on, I'm 39, and I plan on "pulling the pin" in about 10 years so that gives me an expected life span of about 12 years.

Bottomline, when I'm felling a little down, I cheer myself up by thinking, "Only 12 more to go!!!!"
Old 08-25-2007, 07:48 PM   #14
Kevin McGuinness

Profile:

Emiliano, that may have just taken the cake for the most uplifting first post I've ever seen on any forum
Old 08-26-2007, 03:49 AM   #15
Brandon Oto

Profile:

The key thing is whether your job is terribly stressful, I think. You don't want to retire "from life"; that DOES lead to mortality. My mother is an elder care consultant and swears she'll be keeping busy as long as possible -- it's when you call it quits that your body goes, "welp, guess I'm done here" and kicks off. As far as that goes, retirement can be dangerous.