CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 09-08-2007, 07:03 PM   #1
Frank Mocerino

Profile:
Quiting Smokeless Tobacco

I've been using smokeless tobacco (Skoal mint) for about 6-7 years, and I've decided that its time to give it up. If I'm eating zone clean, and working my a** off on the WOD's and OLY lifting skills, then I shouldn't be polluting my body with this other stuff anymore (Even though I love it). I've tried nicotine gum, and that stuff is just too awful to work. I've heard that mint snuff (finely chopped mint leaves) works well to curb the oral fixation, but I'm sure I would be going through extreme nicotine withdrawl.

Anyone else out there quit smokeless and have any tips for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your comments.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #2
Wade Smith

Profile:
Re: Quiting Smokeless Tobacco

Try skin patch, sugarless gum to compensate chewing action, and either counseling or some type of recovery group. Seems experts say it takes multiple modes to effectively quit.

I was a tin of Copenhagen a day guy and decided, just like you, to power through it and get off it. That was many years ago. It can be done. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:57 PM   #3
Jonathan Rich

Profile:

Hey Frank- I used the mint leave snuff when I quit dipping and it really did help with the cravings. The only problem I had was evidently I was as addicted to the act of dipping (having something in the mouth and spitting) as I was to nicotine. That being the case, I actually had a hard time quitting the mint snuff. I guess it's a lot better than tobacco, but I definitely didn't expect to having problems quitting it. Good luck man.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:01 PM   #4
Frank Mocerino

Profile:

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:32 AM   #5
Joshua Vernier

Profile:

I feel your pain, man. I never dipped, though. My problem is cigarettes. Either way, it's the nicotine addiction that's the most difficult part. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:53 AM   #6
Steve Cable

Profile:

Frank - Congratulations on the decision to quit smokeless tobacco. I have chewed for nearly 30 years. About 2-2.5 cans of Copenhagen a day. About 5 months ago I was in Sam's Club getting ready to plunk down about $600 for my next 60 day rotation to the sandbox and for some reason I had the enlightenment you mentioned. "I'm crossfitting, eating great but literally poisoning myself with this crap." So instead of spending $600 on chew I loaded up my "Copenhagen" suitcase with sugarfree gum, sugarfree wintergreen lifesavers and sunflower seeds. Sunflower seeds were harder on my mouth than the chew. Like Jonathon said I pretty much traded one oral fixation for another with the gum but I think its still alot healthier. The nicotine is out of your system within 3-4 days. The addiction is purely mental after that but it is freaking powerful. Even after 133 days (yeah I'm still counting) nicotine free I still think of putting in a chew probably 2-5 times a day. But now I can make it go away pretty easy. There are certain triggers though that are harder than others. One needs to know what those are and be able to remove himself from the situation.

www.quitsmokeless.org (w/f safe) has some great articles and support groups (though I never officially enrolled, I used to read the boards)

I wish you success in quitting. Don't try to quit forever, just tell yourself that you aren't going to chew today!
Old 09-17-2007, 10:02 AM   #7
James Conklin

Profile:

I dipped, or chewed , depending on what was available, for a long time. Even used instant coffee from C's or MRE's if I didnt have anything else. It took many tries for me, so just keep at it. Finally ended up taking a tobacco cessation class and using Zyban to help take the "edge" off; Finally made it work. Good luck.