CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-21-2011, 07:13 AM   #1
Victor Amuso

Profile:
Creatine Aggression

While the response on most bodybuilding forums seems to laugh at the notion, I decided to stop taking creatine yesterday after getting excessively aggressive over my 13 day stint taking the stuff. I was using SNI's Creatine Ethyl Ester. Has anyone else experienced higher aggression levels/rage while taking Creatine?

If you want to know more about my experience, I wrote about it here: http://www.intentionalconsumption.com/?p=171 (WFS)
Old 04-21-2011, 07:50 AM   #2
Emily Mattes

Profile:
Re: Creatine Aggression

Creatine has no relation to testosterone levels whatsoever, so I'm not sure why it would cause you increased aggression. I have not experienced that nor met anyone else with that experience (unless you mean frustration from the bloating!).
Old 04-21-2011, 07:58 AM   #3
Victor Amuso

Profile:

Wasn't really frustrated with the bloating until yesterday, because it wasn't a major issue. Ethyl Ester is not supposed to cause bloating. As a matter of fact I think the bloating may have been from putting too much sea salt on my last batch of almonds.

So while I don't understand the science behind it, what I do understand is that I didn't change anything other than removing eggs from my diet, and these aggressive feelings and thoughts starting surfacing a few times per day. Here is some info that points to a possible link between Creatine and Aggression: http://www.creatinemonohydrate.net/s...ggression.html (WFS).
Old 04-21-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
Richard Allen Pagel

Profile:

Creatine doesn't cause bloating or aggression.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Rick Hardin

Profile:

Were you using straight creatine or a blend mixed with NO boosters, stimulants, etc...?
Old 04-21-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
James Chu

Profile:

I never got angry while on Creatine in the past, but did get irritable/short tempered after exercising for 13 days straight.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
Victor Amuso

Profile:

Rick - It was SNI's Ethyl Ester. Besides the Creatine, the only other stated ingredients are Magnesium Stearate, Silica, Gelatin. Besides the Creatine, I was only taking a multi-vitamin, and I'm not really 100% consistent with it.

James - During this 13 day stretch I had one 6 day week and one 5 day week, so I had a few days of rest in there.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
BMH

Profile:  

Maybe the issue has more to do with how you are addressing stress in your life or some other underlying issue. Sounds like something other than diet and exersice to me. That being said, you may have just had a couple of bad days. Sometimes, when the mood is right, I could stand to boot stomp some heads too.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Allen Pagel View Post
Creatine doesn't cause bloating or aggression.
It doesn't cause water retention? Have you ever taken it? It's a well-known side effect, it's not going to cause actual fat gain but you will retain water. Can really mess with your head as one of the best reasons to take creatine is to preserve muscle mass while losing weight, and the retention messes up the number on the scale.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:20 PM   #10
Victor Amuso

Profile:

Bill,

I have looked closely at that as well. My job stress has been very low lately, especially in comparison that what it had been in years past. Most of the outbursts came after some pretty random stuff, that wouldn't usually bother me. 36 hours after stopping consumption, I feel perfectly normal again.