CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-29-2006, 01:25 PM   #1
Rebecca Lewis

Profile:
I broke my femur last summer, and I would really like to get back to regular exercise, rock climbing in particular. I think I could start on easier climbs again, except that wearing my harness is still kinda hurts (the leg loop of the harness applies pressure to the break).

It's been 5 months now, how long do bones normally take to heal so they don't hurt when pressure is applied. I was also hoping that as I rebuild the muscle in my leg it will help to pad the break, is that a reasonable hope?
Old 12-29-2006, 01:58 PM   #2
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Rebecca:

Since I have two hip resurfacings, I have learned a fair amount about the risk of femoral breakage. I think you should talk to your orthopedist and not do anything until you have his/her opinion. The response will have to do with your bone quality, age, etc. I would make sure they do an xray so they can see that the break has fully healed.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
Rebecca Lewis

Profile:
I've had the doctor's premission to start exercicing beyond physio stuff probobly 2 months ago, and he said I was healing well. I also discussed wanting to start climbing at the gym again with my physio therapist, and she thought it'd be okay (she discharged me just before xmas). I'm really not worried about doing any damage to myself (low impact, and I have a metal bar running though my leg anyway) its just wearing a darn harness!

(Message edited by granite_grrl on December 29, 2006)