CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-13-2006, 04:39 AM   #1
David Boucaut

Profile:
Ive had shoulder impingement for about 8 months (caused by benching incorrectly )
can someone check my program for any faults ????

are overhand grip pull ups ok for someone with shoulder problems ???dont have any issue when im doing them ,but im not sure if they aggravating my shoulders...are underhand better for now ???

thank you for your replys
mon
A-1: Incline Dumbbell Press 3x5 (start with 55lb dumbbells)
A-2: Lat Pulldown 3x5 (start with 140lbs and palms facing you)
B-1: Barbell Full Squat 3x5 (start with 200bs)
B-2: Romanian Deadlift 3x5 (start with 160lbs)
One-arm Lateral Raise 2x10 l,r (start with a 15lb dumbbell and take one-minute breaks)
tue 100 rep external rotation with band
wed
A-1: One-arm Dumbbell Push Press 3x5 l,r (start with 55lb dumbbell)
A-2: One-arm Dumbbell Bent-over Row 3x6 l,r (start with a 70lb dumbbell)
Barbell Deadlift 4x3 (start with 200lbs) (two minute breaks)
Cuban Press 2x6 5lbs(one-minute breaks
thur 100 rep external rotation with band broke up into reps over the day

friday
A-1: One-arm Dumbbell Floor Press 3x6 (start with a 60lb dumbbell)
A-2: Weighted Pull-up 3x6 (start with 10lbs)
B-1: Barbell Full Squat 3x3 (start with 205lbs)
B-2: Romanian Deadlift 3x3 (start with 165lbs)
One-arm Lateral Raise 3x8 l,r (start with a 15lb dumbbell and take one-minute breaks
Old 11-13-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
Jason Carriveau

Profile:
Any kind of stretching program? Internal/external rotation, horizontal shoulder abduction/adduction, flexion/extension etc.(not to cause pain, just enough to stretch) Also some pendulums (hold weight 10-15lbs.) bend over and let your arm hang stretching the capsule.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I continue to have shoulder impingement of sorts and I think it's not fair to say that your impingement was "caused" by benches, more that benches triggered the inflammation of impingement. The difference being that you are prone to impingement.

In my limited experience, anything done overhead MAY cause further inflammation and lateral raises MAY be particularly bad. Bottom line, though, your body is going to tell you when you've done something to worsen the impingement. If you're doing 100 external rotations, you probably are ready to use some weights for rotator cuff exercises. This would typically be 5-10lbs to start.

Of your program, it's the lateral raises that seem to me to be the most risky. You're doing them with light weights so there can't be much benefit to your muscles but I'm guessing that each time you raise your arm like that, you're aggravating the impingement. I steer clear of that movement but do O lifts and overhead presses (with dumbbells as it allow for a more natural shoulder motion) and I wouldn't call my shoulders small (in fact, my shirts are starting to bind),
Old 11-17-2006, 09:31 AM   #4
Charlie Armour

Profile:
i had some pain to both shoulders recently (the front) and was impingement i believe...the advice i received suggested the pain was due to an imbalance in strength between the posterior and anterior delts (ie weak rear delts), tight chest muscles (through too much bench when i was uneducated!) and basically poor posture (ie rolled shoulders)...i took a good 10 days off, which sucked but in hindsight was very beneficial....during that time i stretch easy the upper body, chest, shoulder, and back...easy stretches, really focusing on chest and shoulders...i also did very light (2.5kg) one arm bent over flyes, to strengthen the rear delts...took some ibuprofen to assist in reducing inflammation....also did handstand holds (not HSPUs!) as i felt the static exercise would assist in the overall strength of the shoulder...

long story short, shoulder impingement pain has gone, and i am crossfitting again...i have forced myself to really ease back in as i am thinking long term....am continuing stretching of shoulders and chest and isolation exercises to strengthen rear delt...also regularly tell myself to 'pull your shoulders back'....

hope my experience helps...good luck

Old 11-18-2006, 04:54 PM   #5
David Boucaut

Profile:
I will give the laterals a miss add in some externals rotations with 10 lbs see how i go ..

i add some light rear delt too

thanks
Old 11-19-2006, 10:02 AM   #6
Pierre Auge

Profile:
David,
do some muscle snatches, and if you are going to press weight overhead let me give you this tip. Ensure your arms are going up and out at a 45 degree away from you body.

Make sure you are not trying to keep your arms in line with your body when you are pressing. This will impinge your shoulders.

Do some dips for frig sakes, and lose the lat pull-downs these can put a great deal of strain on the rotator cuff because your body can't track around the implement. More pull-ups for you!
Old 11-19-2006, 04:26 PM   #7
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Pierre:

By 45 degrees do you mean in a plane with your chest (i.e., 45 degrees out to the side like the snatch grip on a barbell) but vertical over your head? Or do you mean 45 degrees forward of your body (like some kind of incline press)?

If the latter, that may help on impingement but it's going to put a lot of strain on the shoulders, elbows and forearms, isn't it? I've never seen someone press overhead with the weight out in front of them.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:43 AM   #8
David Boucaut

Profile:
Made some change see how this goes ..also have been doing all pressing with plams facing.....

mon
A-1: Incline Dumbbell Press 3x5 (start with 55lb dumbbells)
A-2: Lat Pulldown 3x5 (start with 140lbs and palms facing you)
B-1: Barbell Full Squat 3x5 (start with 200bs)
B-2: Romanian Deadlift 3x5 (start with 160lbs)
external rotation 2x10 l,r (start with a 10lb wed
A-1: One-arm Dumbbell Push Press 3x5 l,r (start with 55lb dumbbell)
A-2: One-arm Dumbbell Bent-over Row 3x6 l,r (start with a 70lb dumbbell)
Barbell Deadlift 4x3 (start with 200lbs) (two minute breaks)
pronetrap raises 2x10 10lbs(one-minute breaks
friday
A-1: One-arm Dumbbell Floor Press 3x6 (start with a 60lb dumbbell)
A-2: Weighted Pull-up 3x6 (start with 10lbs)
B-1: Barbell Full Squat 3x3 (start with 205lbs)
B-2: Romanian Deadlift 3x3 (start with 165lbs)
face pulls 3x8 (start with a 15lb