CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-21-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
Daniel Camp

Profile:
HSPU's

Hello all, my name is Dan and I have been doing crossfit for a few years and have made great strides in technique and, therefore, strength. Still struggling with a few things, which leads to my question. If I cant do a full HSPU with my head touching ground, should I do partial reps or should i do negatives? Trying to get stronger on this exercise ....

Thanks in advance,
Old 10-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
Richard Colon

Profile:
Re: HSPU's

First, look up 'handstand push-up' progression on google. Go to guys like Beastskills.com and see what sort of gymnastic stuff you find. Then look up 'handstand push-up crossfit' on google. Now you'll find some specific Crossfit based info (typically on a wall rather than parallel bars or freestanding). Find videos by Carl Paoli.

The reason is for focus on technique and skill with the movement. Since you aren't already someone that can bang out 20 HSPU in a row, you aren't trying to re-train yourself with more efficiency. Especially in regards to the gymnastic end of things - by training with proper body position and mechanics, you can better stabilize and give yourself a better overall position of strength to help you with the movement - which is difficult.

Then, after you've got positioning down and are doing things correctly, work on the following:

Maybe do some holds first. Just get stabilizers firing when in proper position - think hollow body rather than broken in the midline. Just hold in a handstand. After you've got that down, try and do negatives. Lower yourself with control until your head touches the abmat or whatever. Then just bring your legs off the wall, relax and rinse/repeat. Look up sites like monkeybargym.com - they use a lot of bands and clever products that they sell to show how you can band assist a HSPU.

In short, just type in hspu progression and click on googles video tab. Search for Carl Paoli and Jeff Tucker in the CFjournal videos. Practice what they say consistently, treating it as a weakness (put it in your warm-up programming) and you win!
Old 10-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
Sam Mina

Profile:

I have a problem doing them strict. I can kip a few. Is this a strength issue? or is there a certain hand placement??
Old 10-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I would recommend doing them off a plyo box with the hips piked

wfs http://drillsandskills.com/images/ar.../plpuext4s.jpg

Negatives or partials can be acceptable but if you deal with too short a ROM it's worthless, IMO.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
Daniel Camp

Profile:

Thanks for the great response. Will take your suggestion!
Old 10-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
Michael Petersen

Profile:

Resistance bands work great as well. We tie one off to our pull-up structure, then create a shoulder harness out of the other one. This allows you to adjust the resistance with the different types of bands and still get full ROM.

Negatives work great as well, put an abmat down under your head and put your hands on plates so you don't mash your skull in to the ground.