CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-27-2013, 02:30 AM   #851
Adam Carlson

Profile:
Re: Gslp

One other quick Q: when the time comes that I need to adjust from the GSLP to an intermediate program (leaning towards the TM as detailed by Justin Lascek), should the burpees be dropped, or can they be kept without hampering training under the bar? Justin's plan outlines having two conditioning days, but would daily burpees get in the way of things?

I don't want to bite off more than I can chew, and I don't want to waste time in the gym if I'm killing my training with the burpees. If I can do both without anything negative, I'd like to
Old 07-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #852
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Have you looked at 5/3/1? I think it's a better option for a post-LP program, if for no other reason that 5x5 volume days will take forever and beat you up. 5/3/1 gets you in and out of the gym quickly and burpees plus 2-3x conditioning per week wouldn't impede your progress in any way.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #853
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Thanks for the input Eric. I've looked at 5/3/1 from time to time in the past, and I'll give it another look. Might be time to buy the e-book.

The thing that I like about the TM is that heavy set on Friday where you can see the pay off from the training, as opposed to seeing it pay off in rep records and such. The downside of the TM is definitely the volume day and the amount of a beating that will dish out on the body. Justin's book does a good job looking at that, but I want to read 5/3/1 as well now
Old 07-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #854
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

You'll still see plenty of payoff during each 1+ week of 5/3/1. For the first few cycles you'll probably be able to get 4-5 reps on your 1+ sets, but pretty soon you'll be setting new 1/2/3 RMs on a regular basis.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #855
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Good to know! ...now if I could just find a way to convince my wife to let me buy the ebook
Old 07-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #856
Will Feber

Profile:

Eric, you switched back to GSLP from 5/3/1? Why?

Thinking about giving 5/3/1 another shot soon. I've tried it last year and 2 or 3 months in I've lost some strength. Diet, recovery, sleep was all good and normal. Maybe the stimulus just wasn't high enough yet?
Old 07-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #857
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I had a two month layoff from training while finishing school and moving across the country, which required a big reset on all my lifts. I started back up with GSLP so I could get my lift numbers up as quickly as possible. I'll probably go back to 5/3/1 within the next month or so.

If you're lifting heavy weights on a program that includes max-rep sets and you're losing strength, you're doing something wrong. Period. If I remember correctly form your previous posts, you had some mental hangups that kept you from squatting anything more than 225x5. So I'm going to guess your lack of success with 5/3/1 has something to do with that.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #858
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Eric, thanks for your advice. I'd looked at 5/3/1 before, but looking over it again is making it more appealing. Especially BBB.

With my work schedule what it is, I might go TM once I finish my LP through about December, and then start 5/3/1 in January. Either way, I want to buy the ebook now
Old 07-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #859
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

BBB isn't bad but it's a little...boring for my tastes.

Make sure to get the 2nd edition e-book, and check out the assistance template that has you do RDLs after squats, front squats after deadlifts, incline after bench, and close grip bench after press.....rep scheme goes 10-10-10 on 5s week, 8-8-6 on 3s week, and 5-5-5 on 1s week. Allows you to work muscle groups in a slightly different way than you would doing the BBB approach.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #860
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Thanks! Just bought the book and am enjoying it so far