CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #451
Cain Papettas

Profile:
Re: Gslp

Gslp is one of the best things ive done so far! Very well structured!! All i have added in for my conditioning for the past month is daily villian challenge 1 (burpee challenge) and that has kept me going and got me fitter!!
Old 06-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #452
Joshua Ruwet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain Papettas View Post
All i have added in for my conditioning for the past month is daily villian challenge 1 (burpee challenge) and that has kept me going and got me fitter!!
When are you doing your burpees - just after finishing last lift? Also, what about non-lift days (morning, afternoon, evening)? Trying to figure it out myself (doing M, W, F w/"100 push up challenge" on T, Th, Sat and WOD on Sat if schedule works and not feeling tired).

Only on 2nd week of GSLP - loving it as well! Looking to add burpee challenge for conditioning but wasn't sure where to place it in my routine.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #453
Chad Smith

Profile:

I'm going to be starting GSLP soon though there are things I'm not sure of. I'm pretty new to weight lifting so I don't know how much I need to do for warm up sets. For warm up sets, how much do I increase the weight by, and how many warm up sets do I do?

I know my 5 rep max for exercises like the Squat, Deadlift and Bench Press. Do I start with those for my working sets or do I scale it back some? For example, my 5 RM back squat is only 180, should I scale the weight back more for my working sets?
Old 06-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #454
Robert Walsh

Profile:

Start lower, become more confident with the weight, then smash your old PR. There is no sense in struggling right from the beginning, you will stall soon enough.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #455
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Cut back about 10% from your current 5RMs so you can get 8-10 reps on your 5+ sets. You'll still be getting strength gains from the 5+ sets and you'll be setting yourself up for more prolonged gains.

Warmups are a very individual thing but the important thing is that you want them to get you warm but not wear you out. I generally do 3-4 sets of increasing weight and decreasing reps. So if my work sets were at 300lbs, I'd do something like 45x5, 135x4, 225x3, and 275x2 before going into my 300x5 sets.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #456
Joshua Ruwet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Smith View Post
I'm going to be starting GSLP soon though there are things I'm not sure of. I'm pretty new to weight lifting so I don't know how much I need to do for warm up sets. For warm up sets, how much do I increase the weight by, and how many warm up sets do I do?

I know my 5 rep max for exercises like the Squat, Deadlift and Bench Press. Do I start with those for my working sets or do I scale it back some? For example, my 5 RM back squat is only 180, should I scale the weight back more for my working sets?
First, strongly encourage you to invest in the book...most of your questions and more are answered there. I'm an idiot novice, and still find myself asking questions. So...the Strength Villain forum http://strengthvillain.com/forum/ (NOT WFS) has tons of info and you can ask questions directly to author/founder John Sheaffer (aka Johnny Pain).

With that said, the work set for your lifts should be what you think/feel you can do for a set of 8-12 reps. Start low, focus on form, and realize that you can always add more weight if you need to. Otherwise you add 2.5lbs each session on Press/Bench and 5lbs for Squat/DL. The reset if pretty cool...all explained well in the book.

Here's my weakling starting point if it helps in figuring out warm up sets/reps, etc:

(example: 50x5x2 = 2 sets of 50#'s for 5 reps each)

Press for 70#
Warm up: Barx5x2, 50x5x1, 60x3x1
Work set: 70x2x5, 1x5+(till failure...shooting for 8-12 reps)

Bench for 115#
Warm up: 50x5x2, 75x5x1, 95x3x1
Work set: 115x2x5, 115x1x5+

Squat for 175#
Warm up: 80x5x2, 125x5x1, 150x3x1
Work set: 175x2x5, 175x1x5+

Deadlift for 250#
Warm up: 135x6x1, 175x5x1, 200x5x1, 215x3x1
Work set: 250x1x5+

Hope that helps...and if you already haven't, again, strongly advise you to buy and read the book.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #457
Chad Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Ruwet View Post
First, strongly encourage you to invest in the book...most of your questions and more are answered there. I'm an idiot novice, and still find myself asking questions. So...the Strength Villain forum http://strengthvillain.com/forum/ (NOT WFS) has tons of info and you can ask questions directly to author/founder John Sheaffer (aka Johnny Pain).

With that said, the work set for your lifts should be what you think/feel you can do for a set of 8-12 reps. Start low, focus on form, and realize that you can always add more weight if you need to. Otherwise you add 2.5lbs each session on Press/Bench and 5lbs for Squat/DL. The reset if pretty cool...all explained well in the book.

Here's my weakling starting point if it helps in figuring out warm up sets/reps, etc:

(example: 50x5x2 = 2 sets of 50#'s for 5 reps each)

Press for 70#
Warm up: Barx5x2, 50x5x1, 60x3x1
Work set: 70x2x5, 1x5+(till failure...shooting for 8-12 reps)

Bench for 115#
Warm up: 50x5x2, 75x5x1, 95x3x1
Work set: 115x2x5, 115x1x5+

Squat for 175#
Warm up: 80x5x2, 125x5x1, 150x3x1
Work set: 175x2x5, 175x1x5+

Deadlift for 250#
Warm up: 135x6x1, 175x5x1, 200x5x1, 215x3x1
Work set: 250x1x5+

Hope that helps...and if you already haven't, again, strongly advise you to buy and read the book.
Thanks for the advice. I actually have been reading the book but some things still confused me.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #458
Joshua Ruwet

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I actually have been reading the book but some things still confused me.
No worries...right there with you, my man Figure I'd rather take some ridicule and get my questions answered than do things wrong and end up frustrated or injured.

Good luck...I'm starting week two and am excited about being in the gym again. It's a nice change. Was really starting to burn out and plateau after a year and a half of CrossFit. Wished I had done SS or something similar prior to beginning CF. Oh well, better late than never.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #459
Chad Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Ruwet View Post
No worries...right there with you, my man Figure I'd rather take some ridicule and get my questions answered than do things wrong and end up frustrated or injured.

Good luck...I'm starting week two and am excited about being in the gym again. It's a nice change. Was really starting to burn out and plateau after a year and a half of CrossFit. Wished I had done SS or something similar prior to beginning CF. Oh well, better late than never.
Yeah I found myself really weak going into Crossfit and I figured doing a strength training program would be the best thing for me to improve. I figured I could do the basic program then once I get stronger, see about plugging in an Olympic lifting routine (since he offers that option) later on. That way when I come back to doing CF I'm a million times better.

Just for clarification though, I'm putting 5lbs on the Squat and DL after the end of each work out, resulting in 10lbs per week increase? Or do I add the weight at the beginning of the workout?
Old 06-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #460
Joshua Ruwet

Profile:

Quote:
Just for clarification though, I'm putting 5lbs on the Squat and DL after the end of each work out, resulting in 10lbs per week increase? Or do I add the weight at the beginning of the workout?
My understanding is adding weight workout-to-workout. So, your Squat would gain 10lbs by the end of each week (adding 5lbs on Monday and another 5lbs on Friday). Deadlift would increase 5lbs per week since you are only doing that lift 1x/week.

Example: Squat work set on Monday is 150#, on Friday the work set is 155#, the following Monday is 160#, and so on....