CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-02-2005, 01:19 PM   #1
Michael McMahon

Profile:
It seems that whenever I run the day after exercises like thrusters or box jumps I experience extreme tightness in my right hip/glute that radiates into my low back (waistline) and into the upper quad. This usually hits somewhere between 1 and 1 1/2 miles. I warm up and strech before and after all my workouts but this still happens. It is usally bad enough that it prevents me from finishing my run because I cramp up so bad in my hip that my leg can't follow the proper motion for running. Any suggestions? No history of any low back or disc injury and it feels 100% muscular in origin.
Thanks
Old 04-03-2005, 04:39 AM   #2
Troy Dodson

Profile:
I'm no expert but I had a problem similar to yours. I used to have muscular tightness in my hips and lower back that I eventually attributed as tight hip flexors, and I'm not sure but I think the psoas was the main culprit. I read up on Pavel's "Relax into stretch" and focused on stretching my hip flexors and hamstrings everyday.

I also worked on my "abs" thru Janda situps and L sits because my abs weren't strong enough to counter act the pulling of the psoas on my lumbar spine.

If you spend a lot of time during your daily life in a seated position then I would suspect the hip flexors, and it may help for you to periodically loosen them throughout the day (for ex. hip circles, samson stretch etc.)

It took a lot of trial and error, and I had to "listen" to my body and make adjustments until I found the right combo of stretches and exercises to fix the problem.

Hope this helps

Troy
Old 04-08-2005, 07:44 AM   #3
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Michael,
Spend a little time stretching on the ball. It sounds like it may simply be a small strain, and the rest is probably sympathetic reaction due to your bodies natural compensation.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:18 AM   #4
Alex McClung

Profile:
I find holding a deep back-squat for 5 - 10 seconds, for a few reps (3-5), with some light to moderate weight (1/2 to 2/3 BW) really streches out my lower chain. I try to force my knees as wide as I can once I'm in the squat. I do this almost every day as part of my warm-up.