CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
David Meverden

Profile:
60 Minutes segment on sugar

60 Minutes (popular and well respected weekly news program in the United States) had a segment tonight on the hazards of sugar. Didn't see a thread about it yet.

Fourteen minutes long. It's a good watch.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...in;contentBody (WFS)
Old 04-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:
Re: 60 Minutes segment on sugar

While it was an interesting video, I think parts of it were somewhat intellectually dishonest.

They replaced 25% of the study subjects' daily caloric intake with basically sugar. So for me, that'd be almost 200g of just pure refined sugar, equivalent to about 60 oz of regular soda.

Yeah, if you drink 2L of regular coke a day for 2 weeks, things won't look pretty. Says nothing about fructose in moderation.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:05 AM   #3
Ryan Gerke

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Dziabenko View Post
While it was an interesting video, I think parts of it were somewhat intellectually dishonest.

They replaced 25% of the study subjects' daily caloric intake with basically sugar. So for me, that'd be almost 200g of just pure refined sugar, equivalent to about 60 oz of regular soda.

Yeah, if you drink 2L of regular coke a day for 2 weeks, things won't look pretty. Says nothing about fructose in moderation.
Dishonest? Not really. I'm a bit embarrassed by this but, back in my cable guy days, I would consume that amount of soda on a daily basis at work alone and I had co-workers who did the same. There are lots of Americans for whom this is normal.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:30 AM   #4
Mark Davis

Profile:

Quote:

Really good video. 60 oz. of soda isn't really that much for a lot of people. You would be surprised. And 25% of total caloric intake isn't a stretch either; there are some pretty horrible diets out there. And when sugar alone is increased to that level it is easier to distinguish its effects as apposed to say a 10% increase.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
From 60 Minutes? Perish the thought...
Old 04-02-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Gerke View Post
Dishonest? Not really. I'm a bit embarrassed by this but, back in my cable guy days, I would consume that amount of soda on a daily basis at work alone and I had co-workers who did the same. There are lots of Americans for whom this is normal.
I am sure you can find people that eat this way, and I know people that really like Coca-Cola and probably do consume this much.

At the same time, they acted as if these results were somehow completely contrary to what anybody expected. Replacing your vegetables and sweet potatoes with 60oz of coke, every single day, will have...(drumroll)...a NEGATIVE effect??? Gosh, who would have thought.

Dr. Lustig's conclusion: Fructose is evil and must be destroyed. Oh wait Fruit has it, but it doesn't count, cause it's got fiber.

While pointing the fingers at refined sugar is certainly deserved, I think some people watching the program might interpret this as an excuse to avoid all fructose, or not to eat too much fruit because it has sugar and will make you fat. Apparently fruit makes you fat now.

That's the main reason why I said it was a bit dishonest, they made it seem as if fructose was bad, whereas really they should have said "too much fructose is bad."
Old 04-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
Chris Hunke

Profile:

Quote:
I am sure you can find people that eat this way, and I know people that really like Coca-Cola and probably do consume this much.

At the same time, they acted as if these results were somehow completely contrary to what anybody expected. Replacing your vegetables and sweet potatoes with 60oz of coke, every single day, will have...(drumroll)...a NEGATIVE effect??? Gosh, who would have thought.

Dr. Lustig's conclusion: Fructose is evil and must be destroyed. Oh wait Fruit has it, but it doesn't count, cause it's got fiber.

While pointing the fingers at refined sugar is certainly deserved, I think some people watching the program might interpret this as an excuse to avoid all fructose, or not to eat too much fruit because it has sugar and will make you fat. Apparently fruit makes you fat now.

That's the main reason why I said it was a bit dishonest, they made it seem as if fructose was bad, whereas really they should have said "too much fructose is bad."
What kind of fruit do you farm in Canada?

Millions of people don't know how bad sugar is for them. Look at all of the Type 2 Diabetes and heart disease that plagues the U.S. Like the segment said, people think that all calories are alike. I know people who go through a 12 pack of soda a day. It is their primary fuel from the time they wake up until they eat 3 cheeseburgers from McDonalds for supper. People need to be scared about eating sugar.

Last edited by Chris Hunke; 04-02-2012 at 08:57 AM..
Old 04-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
Sean Dunston

Profile:

I didn't see the piece, but were they really claiming fructose was the culprit, or was it high fructose corn syrup?

When I was a student - undergrad and grad school - I had numerous friends that drank 60 oz of soda per day... in my professional life, I see my colleagues in the office consume 3 or more cans of soda per day also... sheesh, sometimes that is by 2:00 p.m.

They didn't have healthy eating habits prior to consuming that many sodas - i.e., they weren't all of a sudden substituting veggies and sweet potatoes with sodas to get their daily caloric intake - they ARE NOT eating them anyway, and do drink that much soda. I think that is the unspoken part of the argument, if I am understanding it correctly: people should be ditching the sodas and grabbing real food.

/rant
Old 04-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
David Meverden

Profile:

The main interviewee said that HFCS and table sugar are the same and implicated both. One of the researchers they talked to used HFCS in her study and spoke about the dangers of HFCS. When discussing adverse effects fructose and processing in the liver was mostly implicated.

Quote:
Yes, people know soda and cupcakes aren't healthy but I think the reason that stories like this are important is because we are finding NEW ways that added sugar is bad for you. Most people don't know that those sodas are making them more likely to have a heart attack. I don't think I had heard about a possible sugar and cancer link. Will have to keep an eye on that one as more research is done.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
I didn't see the piece, but were they really claiming fructose was the culprit, or was it high fructose corn syrup?
Either way, the average american consumes about 45g of HFCS which is actually way too much. This study showed that 135g (3 times!!) was bad for you. Congrats. Didn't have to lock up people in the hospital to figure that out.

HFCS is basically like table sugar. Nobody is recommending a high consumption of table sugar, but one has to accept that the obesity problem is not due to a single factor. People tried it with fat, now they're trying it with sugar and insulin.