CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
Bryan Lloyd

Profile:
Question Tired!!!

Hello all,

I will get right to it. I have been actively Crossfitting for three years. I am a Level 1 certified 39yom 6ft 190lbs. I am a firefighter at a busy station and I never get good sleep at work. I am on a 24 on 48 off schedule. I have been noticing my energy level declining rapidly over the last year or so. I have tried everything in my power to bring my energy levels back up. I have dabbled with paleo/primal over the years and dove in two months ago after reading Mark Sissons book thinking maybe this would help with the energy. While I have dropped to 10% bf without dropping more than two or three pounds (bonus) I am still tired. I have had a full physical done with bloodwork and all and everything looks good. I used to work out at an affiliate but do to my schedule I have outfitted my fire station and now follow main site. Is their anyone out there who can give me some good advice or ideas. I currently tAke a multi, vitamin d and fish oil per Robb Wolfs calculator. Am I just getting old or what?
Old 12-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Tired!!!

Could be that you're not eating enough, could be too much volume without enough food/rest, or could just be not enough good sleep. Obviously shift sleep isn't ideal, but if you can try to make it in a completely dark and quiet room that would be helpful. Something like ZMA or Natural Calm may help with recovery and deeper sleep.

Or CF.com may not be the best option for you given your situation--something with less metcon volume and more strength work could be a good way to go.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

My first thoughts:

- Are you eating enough? You may be eating the right things, but are you getting enough of them?

- Are you overworked/overstressed, either in terms of your job or your training?

- Being a firefighter will make this difficult, but you need to fix your sleep issue somehow. If you can't improve the quantity of sleep that you are getting, at least do everything you can to ensure that what sleep you do get is quality sleep.

As I neared my 40's, I definitely felt the impact of quantitatively/qualitatively poor sleep. You may be experiencing that as well.

- Mark
Old 12-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
Andrew Thompson

Profile:

For me, making sure I eat enough overall calories, and include enough starch, is key. I eat a lot of sweet potatoes, white potatoes, and have recently added beans (soaked, and cooked from scratch - not canned).

When I eat strict paleo/primal my energy suffers. When I make sure I eat enough (about 3200 - 3500 calories a day), and get enough starch, then I feel great.

For comparative sake, I'm 6'1, 205 pounds, 38 years old. My sleep could be better, but being a Dad, it's the best it's going to be right now.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

More sleep, more food, less training, more active recovery
Old 12-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
Zach S

Profile:

Let me guess, low carb?
Old 12-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
Chris Mason

Profile:

You may be overtrained. How many WODs per week are you doing. You have to understand that training is a stressor, but so is work etc. If your overall stress levels are up you can tolerate less training.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:31 AM   #8
Mark Davis

Profile:

What was your testosterone readings?