CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Blending Met-cons and GSLP, how to do it

So I have hit a wall squatting in 70's Big/SS&C. I have failed at completing work sets at 300 several times. I can get one good set of 5 but not 3. Reset worked back up to 300 and failed again.

Male/43/5'11"/190, best guess 12 to 14% body fat.

Back Squat 5x300
Dead Lift 5x345
Press 5x125
Bench 5x195
Power Clean 3x180

So my short term goals are to continue to build strength slowly while increasing my metabolic capacity. Longer term to generally be a bad *** Masters athlete (well at least locally).

I would like to add another 50 lbs to my squat, deadlift, power cleans. Bench is still progressing so I'm not sure where it will end up. Press is tricky because I have a bad shoulder I have to work with.

So what do we think is the best way to program for these goals? It seems GSLP is the next logical step. I own an affiliate that is home based so I wake up every morning with in 30' of a full gym. Days of the week mean nothing to my training schedual. My last program was 70's Big blended with traditional CrossFit met-cons into an 8 day 3 on 1 off cycle alternating deads & power cleans and bench & press.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm always interested in the why of what you suggest. For some funny reason I think blindly following internet advise with out understanding the why isn't such a good idea.

*I will note I have not been as well rested and I have quit eating everything in sight. I want to let the body fat I picked up drop naturally through met-cons and dropping milk from my diet. I've already lost 4 or 5 lbs in a couple of weeks. Though if it comes off too fast I will add the milk right back in.

The rest should be getting back on track. I just went full time at my affiliate and stated offering 6:00 AM classes. Getting up is no problem. Getting in bed and asleep by 9:30 or 10:00 takes a little more organization then I am use to. I'm getting the details sorted out like big meals mid day when the gym is closed and fast dinners at 8 PM so I can be in bed on time.

Last edited by Brendan McNamar; 08-13-2011 at 12:27 PM..
Old 08-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Blending Met-cons and GSLP, how to do it

Have you considered Conjugate CF? I stalled pretty fast on 70's Big for some reason, but progressed pretty well on the Conjugate. I just followed Chris Mason's Templates that he posted in the journal. I like it so much that I'm probably going to do the full Westside Conjugate.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

How familiar are you with GSLP? Its basic "linebacker" program includes three lifting days and two metcons per week, and you can do a lot for your conditioning with the FM pushups, pullups, and burpees along with the fasted walks.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
How familiar are you with GSLP? Its basic "linebacker" program includes three lifting days and two met-cons per week, and you can do a lot for your conditioning with the FM push ups, pull ups, and burpees along with the fasted walks.
I'm not. I would buy the eBook but money is tight. I probably want a little more conditioning then M-W-F lifting will allow.

Suggestions from those who have experimented with it?
Old 08-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
Travis Rask

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
I'm not. I would buy the eBook but money is tight. I probably want a little more conditioning then M-W-F lifting will allow.

You really don't need the eBook. If you comb the Strength Villain message boards JP (and others) lay it out.

I'd suggest trying it out. It's a great program. The villain challenges and the conditioning workouts are more than enough. You can even make up your own metcons...just try to keep them to <10 minutes.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

There's a ginormous threat over at Strength Villain that details it.

The basics are: A/B rotates

Monday: A - Press 5, 5, 5+ / Weighted chin-ups 2 sets of 6-8 reps
Squat 5, 5, 5+

Wednesday: B - Bench press 5, 5, 5+ / Curls 2 sets of 10-15 reps
Warm-up with power cleans (if you want) /
Deadlift 5+
Conditioning WO

Friday: A - Press 5, 5, 5+ / Weighted chin-ups 2 sets of 6-8 reps
Squat 5, 5, 5+

Saturday: Conditioning WO

Then you have your frequency method chins, push-ups and burpees done 5-6 days a week.

You can also do fasted walks daily.

Or you can do two lifting days a week and 3 conditioning days instead, if that's your focus.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:

In that case you could go with GSLP on a 2x per week lifting plan (press/squat one day and bench/power clean/deadlift the other) with 3 conditioning workouts spread throughout the week. With the lower lifting volume you could probably get away with one of the metcons being a bit on the longer side. Add in the frequency pushups, pullups, and burpees and you shouldn't have any trouble meeting your conditioning needs.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #8
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

So along this line:

M Bench 5-5-5+, weighted chins 2x 6-8, squat 5-5-5+
T Met-con
W Met-con
TH Off
F Press 5-5-5+, weighted chins 2x 6-8, power clean to dead lift 5+
S Met-con
S Off

FM push ups and pull-ups M to Sat

5 min. max Burpees on the lifting days M & TH

I will intelligently program met-cons to be well rested for next lifting day. No high rep deads in met-con on Wed. for example.

Next question is how do you pick starting weights for lifts and reps for FM?

Weight increases 5 on dead and squat, 2.5 on press, probably 5 dropping to 2.5 on bench?
Old 08-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
Jay Adams

Profile:

I did 6mos of straight GSLP with some prolwer work, burpees and sprints on conditioning days. Fasted cardio (walks) and got WAY strong. I had topped out on SS and Texas Method but really excelled with GSLP. I swirched over to a power building program on JP's site and leaned out and kept alot of strength. I did not do any CF WODS for 14 mos and did an 8 flat Helen on Friday so...pretty good stuff
Old 08-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #10
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
So along this line:

M Bench 5-5-5+, weighted chins 2x 6-8, squat 5-5-5+
T Met-con
W Met-con
TH Off
F Press 5-5-5+, weighted chins 2x 6-8, power clean to dead lift 5+
S Met-con
S Off

FM push ups and pull-ups M to Sat

5 min. max Burpees on the lifting days M & TH

I will intelligently program met-cons to be well rested for next lifting day. No high rep deads in met-con on Wed. for example.

Next question is how do you pick starting weights for lifts and reps for FM?

Weight increases 5 on dead and squat, 2.5 on press, probably 5 dropping to 2.5 on bench?
Close...I would switch press to Monday and bench to Friday. And the power cleans are used almost like a warmup for the deadlifts. I'll usually do something like working up to a heavy single or doing a rep a minute for 8 minutes at about 85-90% of my 1RM.

As written the program matches two sets of 10-15 dumbbell or barbell curls after bench, but you can do weighted chins both lifting days if you want. I've enjoyed doing the curls though and can tell they're helping with arm strength.

Pick starting weights that will allow you to get 8-10 reps on your 5+ sets at the beginning, except for deadlift where 7-8 is a good range. So maybe back off 10% from your current 5RMs.

For FM push/pulls go with about 50% of your max set and do 3-5 sets throughout the day, 4-6 days a week. Every few weeks you can retest your max set and adjust your sets to the new 50%.

I wouldn't just throw in 5 minutes of burpees--the idea is that you start with 3 sets of 10 reps, keeping each set under 30 seconds, with about 1 minute rest. Once that's not too hard bump it up to 3 sets of 15 in under 45 seconds, then 3 sets of 20 in under 60 seconds, etc. Once you're up to sets of 30 cut it back to 2 sets and once you reach 50 just do a single set and build up to 100 eventually. You can do the burpees as often as you do the other FM stuff.