CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #21
Ryan Eddy

Profile:
Re: Fish Oil Quality v. Price

I've been using the Vitacost brand for a while now and I'm quite happy with it. Taste good enough and the label says its packed full of the goods.

http://www.vitacost.com/Vitacost-Liq...sh-Oil-EPA-DHA
wfs

50 servings of EPA 1572 mg and DHA 1048 mg for $17
Old 12-22-2011, 06:43 AM   #22
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Eddy View Post
I've been using the Vitacost brand for a while now and I'm quite happy with it. Taste good enough and the label says its packed full of the goods.

http://www.vitacost.com/Vitacost-Liq...sh-Oil-EPA-DHA
wfs

50 servings of EPA 1572 mg and DHA 1048 mg for $17
Seems like very little EPA/DHA for the amount of fish oil per serving, ~9g.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:49 AM   #23
Mark Davis

Profile:

Keep in mind all fish oils are not the same quality due to manufacturing processes and starting material. I have always stuck with Barleans Fresh Catch. It is the only brand that I am aware of that has a manufacturing date and best before date on the label and is not that bad of a price considering the quality. It is also usually kept in the fridge at health stores to preserve quality. There is a site that analyzed multiple different popular brands for quality, I'll try to find the link.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #24
Ryan Eddy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shishineh View Post
Seems like very little EPA/DHA for the amount of fish oil per serving, ~9g.
I have a hard time comparing fish oils though. My suggestion has 782mg EPA and 524 DHA per teaspoon. I was under the impression that that would be considered a lot. Help me out here.

Are you saying there is too much "other"?

Like if I look at Eric's suggestion there is only 50mg of "other". Is to much "other" bad? or?
Old 12-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #25
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Eddy View Post
I have a hard time comparing fish oils though. My suggestion has 782mg EPA and 524 DHA per teaspoon. I was under the impression that that would be considered a lot. Help me out here.

Are you saying there is too much "other"?

Like if I look at Eric's suggestion there is only 50mg of "other". Is to much "other" bad? or?
With ~5g in one teaspoon, so you are getting 1306mg/5000mg fish oil ~26% Omega-3s.

I don't think it is necessarily bad. I believe the rest is just fat, other Omega-3s, and not sure what else.

Puritans Pride Triple strength is 950mg of EPA/DHA per 1360mg (~70% Omega-3s). This results in having to take less fish oil to get the good stuff.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #26
Mike McGee

Profile:

Price vs quality does matter... The biggest factor in deciding a fish oil is whether or not it is in Triglyceride (TG) form or Ethyl Ester (EE). TG form is better absorbed by the body than EE. Most fish oils are EE because it is cheaper to manufacture.

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Fish...glyceride.aspx

http://www.ascentahealth.com/health-...ature-intended (WFS)

http://www.expresscontacts.com/omega...hyl-esters.htm (WFS)
Old 12-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #27
Dave Traeger

Profile:

I take this one http://www.naturesway.com.au/our-pro...h-oil-60s.html (wfs)

Its in soft pill form, each one has 1500mg omega 3 triglicerides incl 540 epa/360dha

Not sure how many to take per day though, just been taking one at the moment. It was $12.49 for 60, thats 20c each.

Last edited by Dave Traeger; 12-28-2011 at 10:52 AM..
Old 12-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #28
Greg Reeves

Profile:

I've been taking the Publix Greenwise Fish Oil. 1,000mg capsule with 360/240 EPA/DHA, no soy, and $7.99 for a bottle of 60. That comes out to roughly .22 for per gram of EPA/DHA. I take about 9 a day so I'm getting 5.4 grams of EPA/DHA a day. Probably a little much but I found when I cut it down to a lower dose, I started feeling a little more sore in the joints.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #29
Dana Rice

Profile:

If you are looking for a pill (I prefer the pills to the liquid because of the taste), I have found Now Foods Ultra Omega 3 to be good. 1 pill has 500 mg EPA and 250 DHA. The pills are molecularly distilled and enteric coated, if you care about that kind of thing. They are also tested to be mercury and contaminant free, however "soy derivatives" is listed as the last ingredient.

I can get 180 soft gels for $17.54, which comes out to about $.13 per gram of EPA/DHA
Old 12-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #30
Alicia Michel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Fletcher View Post
Just to give an opposite opinion, that fish oil is absolutely nauseating to me. I bought a bunch of it because it was cheap and ended up throwing most of it away. I tried mixing it with orange juice (because there's nothing else you could mix it with) trying to mask the flavor, but still had to hold back gagging. I forced myself through two bottles but at this point I would rather have a omega 3/6 imbalance than take that stuff.

So by all means try it, but just buy one bottle first.
It nauseated me really badly as well, halfway through my first bottle, and began throwing up after drinking it. Now I don't know what to do with the rest of the bottles.

Now I either take the big tub of Now Foods' (360 / 240) or Jarrow's EPA-DHA balance (400/200).