CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #21
Rob Samuels

Profile:  
Re: Does a Paleo diet really enhance athletic performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
Do these populations you speak of do better because of grains in their diet or because of other lifestyle factors? You can might be able to prove correlation but is their causation?
I don't know. Neither does anybody else which is why I think some of the broscience around so many things nutrition is hilarious.

I think the zone/paleo argument has gone on long enough. Its not how athletes eat. Any athlete, anywhere, in any sport. Lets not start the debate about crossfit being a sport and yadda yadda yadda.

There is nothing that paleo can accomplish that can't be done in other ways and it is not this magical cure for diease. Its just not. Eat more veggies cut out the processed garbage I'm all on board with that and its not new its what pretty much every diet in existince suggests.

I only say that if paleo works for you and you enjoy eating in that manner then by all means do it I wouldn't say dont do it. I'm just saying its not the best way to eat for every athletic endeavor, or probably any athletic endeavor.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #22
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Correct.

No.

No.

Like others have said, diet is an individual thing. Some athletes, Rob Orlando being one of them, say that eliminating dairy helps them breathe better during metcons and day to day life. Rob Orlando also eats grain and crappy peanut butter. He has experimented with his diet and figured out what works for him.

Don't get stuck to one dogma. Try everything you think will help you and they'll all become trinkets in your toolbox on your road to progress. Eliminating dairy may be great for you. Eliminating grains may be great for you. Try things out and see what works.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:52 AM   #23
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McLafferty View Post
Like others have said, diet is an individual thing. Some athletes, Rob Orlando being one of them, say that eliminating dairy helps them breathe better during metcons and day to day life. Rob Orlando also eats grain and crappy peanut butter. He has experimented with his diet and figured out what works for him.

Don't get stuck to one dogma. Try everything you think will help you and they'll all become trinkets in your toolbox on your road to progress. Eliminating dairy may be great for you. Eliminating grains may be great for you. Try things out and see what works.
The OP asked specifically whether eliminating grains, legumes or dairy would improve performance if one isn't allergic to said food group. The answer is no.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:40 AM   #24
Mark Davis

Profile:

I've been doing some research on specifically grains and legumes, and it seems that phytic acid is one of the main reasons why some exclude it from their diet. I just started looking into phytic acid, but some credible sources say that it can be a good thing and others a bad thing (like all diet info now of days). But then on the same hand a lot of nuts have a significant amount of phytic acid as well.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:41 AM   #25
Mike Laroche

Profile:

For me the large problem is always the meat and milk-not to mention fruits and vegetables-that we have access to in our country. What we do to the meat here is horrible. There are so many studies that correlate meat consumption with cancer-but those are US based studies. We feed our cows ****, treat them like ****, have them live like ****, then we kill them and eat them and wonder why it makes us sick. Brilliant. The same can be said for milk. We feed the cows like ****, treat them just a little better than the cows going to slaughter, and then pasteurize the milk killing important enzymes. We spray pesticides all over our fruits and vegetables, and grow them in nitrogen enriched nutrient void soil. It truly is a wonder of modern medicine that we survive like we do. Just imagine if we took care of our food and the earth and had modern medicine in our back pocket, we would probably all live to over 100. (don't mean to ignore the stress factor here, I actually think that is the biggest variable in our health/performance today, but I will rant for far too long).

If you were eating a "true" paleo diet maybe it would help performance, but its pretty difficult to get your hands on that stuff regularly without breaking the bank. My advice-grow a garden in the spring and get a hunting license in the winter.

If you have not checked out Weston Price's work strongly recommend WFS
http://www.journeytoforever.org/farm.../pricetoc.html
Old 11-23-2011, 07:20 AM   #26
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Davis View Post
I've been doing some research on specifically grains and legumes, and it seems that phytic acid is one of the main reasons why some exclude it from their diet. I just started looking into phytic acid, but some credible sources say that it can be a good thing and others a bad thing (like all diet info now of days). But then on the same hand a lot of nuts have a significant amount of phytic acid as well.
Phytic acid has no adverse health effects when consumed as part of a varied nutritionally adequate diet and contrary to what some self proclaimed Paleo Diet experts say may actually be good for you.

Cancer Inhibition by Inositol Hexaphosphate (IP6) and Inositol: From Laboratory to Clinic.

Dietary fibre, whole grains, and risk of colorectal cancer: systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of prospective studies.

Proceedings of the Nutrition Society: Why whole grains are protective: biological mechanisms.

Plausible mechanisms for the protectiveness of whole grains.

Cereals, legumes, and chronic disease risk reduction: evidence from epidemiologic studies.

Legumes: the most important dietary predictor of survival in older people of different ethnicities.

Legumes and soybeans: overview of their nutritional profiles and health effects.

*All links wfs*
Old 11-23-2011, 07:57 AM   #27
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
The OP asked specifically whether eliminating grains, legumes or dairy would improve performance if one isn't allergic to said food group. The answer is no.
Yeah, I read it. The answer is not definitively no.

I'm not allergic to dairy but I find some things improve when I eliminate it and others when I add it in.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:43 AM   #28
Luke Pniewski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Vega View Post
Personally I have noticed that when on a strict Paleo diet, my performance does increase by a tiny bit. But, I do feel hungry most of the times (lack of calories) which causes me to want to get off of Paleo.
Latley I have begun experimenting with a Paleoish type of diet, consuming more veggies, meats, nuts, fruit, dairy, and a few grains (love that pasta!). I have found this approach to be more sustainable (diet wise) and have noticed that my performance has not suffered too greatly.
I like this idea! It seems like I've been doing a modified Paleo for a while, which is the paleo + bread and pasta. I need those extra carbs. This would also include the occasional pizza and beer.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #29
Richard Pacifico

Profile:

i also follow a modified paleo, while i still try to avoid Gluten, i mainly keep rice in my diet for the wheat part and also kept dairy. i tend to consume more dairy in the winter when its time to bulk up and add strength.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #30
Danielle O'Neill

Profile:

I have seen it improve my performance - but I do not follow Paleo 100%. I'm one of those 80%ers. To combat the hunger, I am constantly snacking throughout the day - whether on fresh fruit, sliced veggies, almonds, dried cranberries and bananas.

The first 6 months I did CrossFit, I did not follow the Paleo diet as well. Since starting it, I have a lot more energy and all of my PRs have gone up significantly (could be attributed to other things, yes, i know).

I try to think of Paleo as a platform for eating healthy, but do eat some dairy, rice and pasta (wheat) on a minimal basis.