CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
David Barnes Langston Jr

Profile:
Gloves or gymnastic shand straps

I have had a problem with sweat making it hard to grip the pull up bar. I sweat profusely when I work out. Today when doing kipping pull ups my hands came off the bar and I fell pretty hard. I use chalk but it just turns to chalk mud. I know a lot of folks don't like gloves or other hand accessories, but I'd like to try some. Can someone recommend a particular glove or hand straps for pull ups?
Old 06-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
Joe Spinelli

Profile:
Re: Gloves or gymnastic shand straps

I tape my bar and use chalk and the only problem I've had is in one WOD that I forgot to remove my wedding ring and got a nasty blood blister.

For me, I cannot do an un-taped bar for the same reason. My hands just get wet and slip off.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Use wristbands to absorb the sweat running off your forearms.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
Brian Watts

Profile:

In addition to really sweaty hands, I have a neurological disorder which I can only keep at bay by keeping my hands warm in the winter, so I use gloves at both ends of the temperature spectrum.

The gloves I use are the first CrossFit ones Reebok put out for a brief period of time (after 2011 Games? 2010? One or the other). They work great in both circumstances because they're tight, they're leather and I broke them in. Not precisely sure of the exact terminology for the kind of glove to look for, but people who have seen them usually call them either football receiver gloves or baseball/batting gloves. Here's what you have to do to not get worse blisters with the gloves than bare handed.
  1. Make sure the gloves are cut pre-curved. You don't want a flat pair of gloves, you want some that are made to be worn with your fist curled. That way, there's less bunching of material to cause blisters.
  2. Full gloves, not fingerless. The last thing you want to worry about is the little bit of finger material on the fingerless glove rolling back and causing a blister. Plus, fingerless gloves don't feel right without a mullet.
  3. Leather gloves only. In addition to a nice tight fit (which is key), the leather will not only absorb your sweat, it'll become kinda sticky. All the better to stay on the bar with.
  4. Break the gloves in. This is where a lot of people got it wrong back when I was a motocrosser and still do with these. The worst thing that can happen to the gloves is to let the material bunch up and get a wrinkle. Once that happens, you'll always get a blister right there and the gloves are worse than useless. Don't put on your brand new gloves and do Angie. Instead, spend a week or two doing your WODs the same way you have been. Use the gloves in warm-up or after class when you're done. Five, maybe ten pull-ups at the most, but not consecutive. Do one or two, drop, check the glove, make sure the fit is still tight, do one or two more. Works even better after a WOD since your hands will be nice and sweaty to season it. Eew.
  5. Make sure the middle finger on each glove is loose and flexible. You'll probably be using that finger a lot when you first start using the gloves.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:47 AM   #5
Chris Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Watts View Post
[*]Full gloves, not fingerless. The last thing you want to worry about is the little bit of finger material on the fingerless glove rolling back and causing a blister. Plus, fingerless gloves don't feel right without a mullet.