CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-12-2006, 02:57 PM   #1
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
per the zone,Do i not eat anything because it does not fall in with one of my snacks or meals, or am i allowed a protein shakes or something?
Old 06-12-2006, 03:20 PM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
As per Zone recommendations, I think you're supposed to time your workout to be in the middle of a meal and a snack, so that you work out 1.5 hours or so after the meal then eat your snack an hour or so after your workout. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:26 PM   #3
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
thats not to much time in between? I was always taught(not saying that makes it right) that you need something right after a workout. Any thoughts?
Old 06-12-2006, 04:54 PM   #4
Darrell E. White

Profile:
The ideal window to "recharge" is 30-60 minutes post-workout. Something about the insulin "acceptability" in the target tissues maximizes the amount of ingested calories that are converted to glycogen for replenishing muscle stores. The controversy exists in the form that those calories should be. Strict Zone adherents would say that an appropriate Zone meal within this window is perfect. At the moment that's what I've been doing. There is research from the University of Wisconsin (specifically looking at endurance activities like bike racing) that strongly showed that the ideal meal was a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein, taken in ANY from. There was a "spirited" discussion here last week about this, largely centered on whether a pre-mixed prepared meal like Endurox R4 (decidely non-Paleo which was the sticking point of the discussion, I think) was acceptable. But as I recall, the researchers were quite content to have the post-workout meal consist of ANY source (Endurox, fruit and chicken, a Twinkie and jerky:talker:). Their research showed that the 4:1 ratio taken in the appropriate 30-60 minute window was the key to recovery from intense exercise.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:33 PM   #5
Jesse Woody

Profile:
That is true as far as research goes, yet there are many on the site that notice a marked increase in bodyfat while doing the whole post workout insulin spike thing.

I go both ways. If you read Berardi you begin to think that you can consume your entire allotment of carbs pre/during/post workout and be fine, while Robb Wolf would say that post-workout should be chicken and sweet potatoes, at worst. I go both ways. I haven't noticed a huge difference between a fasted workout with 2 hours before my next meal or a well-fed workout followed by a Powerade with half a scoop of whey protein as far as intraday performance/recovery. I guess I need to somehow set a control and perform a real experiment personally to see how good either method works (i.e. intermittent fasting and the supposed HGH boost post-workout that food supposedly kills, versus strict Zone, food every 4 hours, post workout balanced meal or post-workout insulin spiking carb/protein blend)
Old 06-12-2006, 06:30 PM   #6
Daniel Miller

Profile:
Jesse,
Keep us posted on how you decide to evaluate it.

I don't take a PWO shake and have not for some time. But I also don't do the 2x or 3x fat that I normally do when eating after a workout. This is usually the time I'll have 3-4 fish oil capsules with some lean protein then vary carb sources between grapes, sweet pots, or a 4-block berrie smoothie...giving me a regular 40-30-30 zone meal.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:41 PM   #7
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I thought the paleo deal was don't eat for like an hour after a workout so as not to lose the hormonal state that you have achieved.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:01 PM   #8
Darrell E. White

Profile:
My real world experience, FWIW, is that I just totally bonk after a serious met-con WOD ( the "Filthy Fifty" for example) if I don't get that post workout meal within that window. I had the same experience when I did a "traditional" aerobic workout like extended biking, rowing, or running before I discovered CF. I'm sure that IF advocates would feel that I have simply trained my body to expect calories at that time, but I still can't shake the repeatable pattern that I've experienced over quite a few years that a post workout meal keeps me from the post-intense workout energy crash.

And Jesse, since EVERYTHING I do from this site has done nothing but REDUCE my body fat, I have absolutely no credibility whatsoever in that particular discussion. And as Larry said in a different thread, I still personally have plenty of suffering to go on the way down the fat content slope before I have the privelige of worrying about the trip back up! So I'll certainly defer to the collective experience on that one and hope to be a contributor in the future:happy:

Old 06-12-2006, 07:35 PM   #9
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I have been eating an hour after the wod and sure I am spent, but I don't bonk.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:59 AM   #10
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I eat a Paleo meal an hour to 90 minutes after a workout and I get no bonk either. In fact, I'm performing better and bodyfat is down. I think only the very big amongst us (200+ guys at <10 BF%) eating a full Paleo diet need liquid nutrition...I do an average of 17 blocks/day and had to lower my carb intake because it's too much food. I can't imagine one of the 22+ blockers and their veggie intake.