CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-14-2006, 08:52 AM   #1
Anthony Persi

Profile:  
Thanks in advance for any input here.

I'm trying to get going on the Zone and am having a hard time picking what to read to clear some things up. I have read "The Zone" and "Mastering the Zone" but I still feel like I am missing some stuff. For example, day 1 and 2 on the diet, my wife and I both experieced pretty long dull headaches. Not sure why and would like to know what we might have done wrong. I just feel like I'm missing the final pieces to putting this all together.

So then, can anyone please recommend the "right" books to pick out of this mess of publishings that might be helpful? A good receipe book would be apprecaited too, Amazon's review section is really mixed on which ones are worth the time to read.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:22 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Anthony,
The headaches were likely related to hypoglycemia. If you are eating the right amounts of the right foods, you will both soon be past this issue.

The only two books I recommend to laypeople anymore are "The Paleo Diet" and "Mastering the Zone". The first tells you what to eat, the second tells you how much.

Stay with it. Things will improve.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:49 AM   #3
Anthony Persi

Profile:  
Thanks Garrett, I've been checking back over the blocks to see if I am low on certain things, but am still in the learning curve a bit and really haven't been able to get an exact as to how much of what I need quite yet. I decided to just jump in with the "Typical male week in the Zone" to see how that would make me feel. I'm pretty sure that I need more then 4 blocks a meal though. Think I just need to find that niche and run with it.

If I understand this right, hypoglycemia might be caused by not enough carb intake?
Old 06-14-2006, 10:16 AM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Anthony,
It's likely the other way around. You and your wife would likely be suffering from hypoglycemia due to too many carbs *and* the wrong type of carbs in your previous diet. For example, too many refined sugars and grains (the standard American approach), not enough protein, the wrong kinds and amounts of fat. Everyone I know who doesn't eat mostly Paleo foods exhibits some form of hypoglycemia symptoms after 3-5 hours postprandial (during the day, I'm not talking about sleep time here).

Do you fit the "typical male" parameters given in the book? If not, you're setting yourself up for issues.

At the start, the Zone will not seem like a lot of food, unless you really concentrate on the vegetables. You will likely still be hungry, as your body right now is very *inefficient* at dealing with food/calories. As your body makes the hormonal shifts, it will become much more efficient and you will feel the Zone gives you plenty of food.

Your body is getting used to running at a lower blood sugar and insulin level than before. It's not a fun process, however, it is one that must be persevered through in order to create better health.

Eat quality foods. You will be getting plenty of nutrition if you do that part.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:34 AM   #5
Anthony Persi

Profile:  
To be honest Garrett, trying to figure out if I fit the "normal" male is where I am having some difficulty. That's where I was hoping a little more learning would fill me in. I have worked out in one way or another most of my life, but until recently, I didn't focus much on diet at all.

I do expect there to be some changes in the way I feel while I push through these first couple of weeks strictly, but I didn't expect headaches to be one of the side effects. I do know that I am feeling a little hungry pretty quick after a full meal, but I assume that has to do with adjusting yet again. I want to try to push through for a week or two before making changes to see if there really is much need to do so.

I've seen quite a few people, like yourself, on this board though that seem to know what foods either lacking or too much of, cuase what feelings and I want to get to that point. Thanks again.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:55 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:
My input, as usual, is avoid grains, dairy, and all refined sugars.

I don't want to say you can eat *everything* else, however, if you limit these items, you're already on the road to a pretty darn good diet.

I'd expect the first week to be less than stellar. If you are still feeling poorly after a week and a half, bring it back up here.