CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #11
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Reading the Paleo Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Dunn View Post
I agree on the eating healthy not being for a poor man.

I figure there's going to be some things I won't have issues giving up, but things like milk, peanut butter, etc., I'm going to cringe and fight tooth and nail.
If you like peanut butter, wait until you try Almond Butter. I get Justin's natural almond buttet from Amazon at a cheap price. Almond milk is a good substitute for regular milk, although some guys say that organic milk is ok for the Paleo diet, so I still have that.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #12
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
I really think part of the problem is where we live. I constantly see folks in other parts of the country getting grass fed beef for $2-4/lb hanging weight. Best I could find around here in NJ/NY is about $5.5/lb. Some farm in NJ (which supplies many Whole Foods markets) want something like $8/lb hanging weight.

The biggest problem with a paleo type (or even a whole foods approach) is that veggies, fruits, meat, don't have coupons. Junk food, based on corn and soy, is cheap b/c of government subsidies. That's why you can get cases of corn chips for dirt cheap.
This is true. My wife just tries to buy what is in season or she finds some local places that sell the fruits and veggies at a cheaper price. I'm not too picky on the meat.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #13
Clint Harris

Profile:

I don't understand the healthy eating is expensive argument either. "unhealthy eaters" will still eat steak and chicken and pork, but they probably eat more of it in one sitting. So wouldn't a healthier portion be cheaper ? Yes, organic, grass fed cows with names and a local address are more expensive, and it is recommend that one only purchase this if they can afford it. If eating cheaper non-organic cuts, don't eat the fat and get as lean as possible. Yes, this will be more than the cheaper fattier cuts, but you'll buy less of it. When buying "organic" then you can get the cheaper cut and it doesn't have to be premium-lean everytime either.

When I'm at the grocery store, I look in my half full trolley that contains real food and sensible choices, then at a "unhealthy eater" with a trolley overflowing with "cheap" yellow and red colored boxes and cans. They probably end up spending the same as me, if not more, and they will have twice as much food so value will be perceived to be greater ...but it's twice as much unsatiating food and they'll also eat all of that in the same amount of time as my shop.

One just has to get used to buying less and buying smart IMHO. You also have to become a bit of a hunter-gatherer in the grocery store and pay attention to prices. Sometimes, you may go in with the intention of buying chicken breasts and you always get X type..... but sometimes, that price is higher than another comp. For example: I buy either greenwise or springer chicken. I compare the two per pound everytime and it is completely random as to which will be cheaper and by how much. If I were to just go with greenwise each time, then I'd be paying more than necessary ... sometimes. If there's no springer or greenwise and only that "other stuff" or some over-priced organic vegetarian chickens (what about grubs/insects?) for sale, I don't buy it and come back another day - there's some backup in the freezer or some other food choice. Same with beef. If it's too much, I won't buy it and look at lamb or something.
Somewhere like Wholefoods is expensive but to their credit, they have some deals often. Just look for them and be prepared to come back another day. Ask the butcher, they'll tell you when they get deliveries and specials are coming. At our wholefoods they have a twice per year sale on grass-fed-real-cows-with-names-and-local-addresses 85/15 ground beef. $4.99 per pound. That's cheaper than the junk stuff ... so we stocked up. Big $$ on the front end, sure, but haven't bought hamburger in weeks either. Usually it's about 7-8 per pound and worth it over the other cheap stuff. WF does have cheaper items in their store though, Almond Milk is often cheaper, rarely if ever more. Watch out for Almomd butter - some of that is priced like gold; pay attention and look around. Some fruits and veg are too ... or often the same price. A lot of things - especially beef/pork is worth a few extra cents per pound from there, but not everything.
Eggs are another one to look out for. It seems to range from 2.99-6.99 per dozen regardless of store. The 2.99 is usually just "large caged eggs" and the "6.99" is large organic cage free with a color label. But more often than not - especially at whole foods, there's the plain label EXTRA large cage free vege organic etc eggs for 3.99 ..... doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the best deal here. Buy the 6.99 variety is for the "birds". They may well be better and the label sure looks great, but unless one is made of coin, save the extra $3, put 1 in your pocket and 2 towards your meat choices.

You also have the in-season/out-of-season fluctuations so don't buy when prices are up. Buy and try something else.

It's really easy when you get used to it. Just pay attention and don't get tunnel vision, be prepared to change with the seasons and what's on offer. It's easy to get stupid at the grocery store .... especially getting carried away with organic and grass fed. Portion control starts at the grocery store, not in the kitchen.

Interestingly enough - I go to grocery store to get some icecream and salty chopped nuts for a cheat. The icecream is about 3-5 portions. I will also grab some other stuff ... like some almond milk (3-4 portions), bananas (5-6 portions), 2 avocados (3-5 portions) and a bag of carrots (10 portions).
The most expensive two items on that trip will be the ice-cream ~5$, followed by the nuts~5$, Milk ~$4 Avos ~$3,the bananas is perhaps a hair over $1 and the carrots a hair under $1.
The icecream and nuts must be the healthy stuff eh? Cost $10 of the $19 spent.

Last edited by Clint Harris : 09-26-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Eating healthier may be more expensive in the short run, but it's definitely cheaper in the long run once you factor in long-term health considerations.

Sorta like how skipping classes to sling burgers at McDonald's might be more profitable in the short run, but in the long run (i.e. the next 40+ years) you'll probably wish you had gone to class, learned more, and graduated with better grades as opposed to grabbing a few extra hours of minimum wage work.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #15
Gerry Dunn

Profile:

Thanks.. I'll take all that into consideration.

I actually downloaded the primal palate app for my tablet and I think we're going to try to start incorporating some of those recipes in to our eating.

Hopefully I can get on a good tear with the book this weekend and get it knocked out.