CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-26-2012, 06:38 AM   #1
Gerry Dunn

Profile:
Reading the Paleo Solution

I haven't started eating Paleo, just reading the book right now to get a feel for it.

For those of you who did go Paleo, what was the hardest thing(s) to give up?
Old 09-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Reading the Paleo Solution

The hardest thing for me was the milk and Splenda. I still have it on a regular basis, but that is about it. The thing that sucks is how expensive it is to eat healthy.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
Gerry Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
The hardest thing for me was the milk and Splenda. I still have it on a regular basis, but that is about it. The thing that sucks is how expensive it is to eat healthy.
I agree on the eating healthy not being for a poor man.

I figure there's going to be some things I won't have issues giving up, but things like milk, peanut butter, etc., I'm going to cringe and fight tooth and nail.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Paleo man did it without money....just sayin'
Old 09-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
Gerry Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Paleo man did it without money....just sayin'
Luckily bow season starts next week. Maybe I can take down a couple of deer, maybe a hog and thus end the buying of meat at the grocery store. Ain't nothing like free-range, organic, goodness from the woods.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

i know alot of folks that actually saved money by switching to healthy eating. many of them because they ate out alot, and eating out is very expensive, even at fast food places. but even if you are used to buying most of your food from the store, with smart planning eating healthy can be cheap. buy whole chickens or turkeys. go to a local butcher and buy whole hogs or cows at once, or half hogs or cows if you short on space. potatoes are crazy cheap. many fruits are pretty inexpensive. there are alot of things on the interenet about paleo on a budget, be sure to check those out. also be sure to look around your local area. often you can get eggs, meat, produce, etc from local people for cheaper than you can get at the store.

oh, and wild game meat is awesome! bow season is under way here in KS too! good luck in the field. SPILL BLOOD AND KILL!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
Gerry Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
i know alot of folks that actually saved money by switching to healthy eating. many of them because they ate out alot, and eating out is very expensive, even at fast food places. but even if you are used to buying most of your food from the store, with smart planning eating healthy can be cheap. buy whole chickens or turkeys. go to a local butcher and buy whole hogs or cows at once, or half hogs or cows if you short on space. potatoes are crazy cheap. many fruits are pretty inexpensive. there are alot of things on the interenet about paleo on a budget, be sure to check those out. also be sure to look around your local area. often you can get eggs, meat, produce, etc from local people for cheaper than you can get at the store.

oh, and wild game meat is awesome! bow season is under way here in KS too! good luck in the field. SPILL BLOOD AND KILL!
I'm only like 80 pages in, but I thought potatoes were bad on the Paleo diet because it's technically a legume?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #8
Michael Dries

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Dunn View Post
I'm only like 80 pages in, but I thought potatoes were bad on the Paleo diet because it's technically a legume?
Re-read those first 80 pages. Peanuts are legumes, potatoes are.... potatoes. Otherwise known as starchy tubers.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
Michael Dries

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
I really think part of the problem is where we live. I constantly see folks in other parts of the country getting grass fed beef for $2-4/lb hanging weight. Best I could find around here in NJ/NY is about $5.5/lb. Some farm in NJ (which supplies many Whole Foods markets) want something like $8/lb hanging weight.

The biggest problem with a paleo type (or even a whole foods approach) is that veggies, fruits, meat, don't have coupons. Junk food, based on corn and soy, is cheap b/c of government subsidies. That's why you can get cases of corn chips for dirt cheap.

Last edited by Michael Dries : 09-26-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
Gerry Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
Re-read those first 80 pages. Peanuts are legumes, potatoes are.... potatoes. Otherwise known as starchy tubers.
Not sure if I need to re-read those or go back through health class

I'm a zilch when it comes to what class vegetables or fruits are.