CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
Glenn Ellis Jr

Profile:
Hydration

Hello! I am having an issue hydration. I have upped my water intake to about 100oz of water a day. I am teaching 2 workouts a day (I partially participate in both with demonstration and assisting) and I workout 2 days on, one day off. I am always thirsty, but I have to go to the bathroom so much I don't know if I could increase my water intake anymore! I am 5'11" 200lbs. I am very active, and was told I need to drink 120oz minimum from several friends. Is that reasonable? Any tips? I try to drink10oz ever 2 hours, slightly more before and after WODs
Old 09-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: Hydration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Ellis Jr View Post
Hello! I am having an issue hydration. I have upped my water intake to about 100oz of water a day. I am teaching 2 workouts a day (I partially participate in both with demonstration and assisting) and I workout 2 days on, one day off. I am always thirsty, but I have to go to the bathroom so much I don't know if I could increase my water intake anymore! I am 5'11" 200lbs. I am very active, and was told I need to drink 120oz minimum from several friends. Is that reasonable? Any tips? I try to drink10oz ever 2 hours, slightly more before and after WODs
I wouldn't say that 100oz of water per day is excessive for someone in your position. However, feeling thirsty all the time (polydipsia) can be a sign of underlying medical problems so you might want to discuss this with your doctor before doing anything else.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

The guideline I give to my athletes is 1 oz of water per 2 lbs of mass as a minimum daily intake. That would make 100 oz your minimum. I also recommend that my athletes add 8 oz of water per 100 lbs of mass for every hour of intense exercise, as well as increasing water intake by 10% during any prolonged exposure to extreme temperatures.

It's possible that you may be having trouble with absorption. This is actually common among strict practitioners of the Paleo diet. Sodium levels get too low and water just goes right through them. If that sounds like you, try adding a teaspoon of salt to your first bottle of water each day.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

do you drink anything other than water? do you use alot of caffenine? what kind of water do you drink? and do you get enough carbs and salt? how much protein do you eat?

one gallon is 128 oz. yes you should drink at least that much. 100 oz is a minimum for you for sure. as stated above, you might need more electrolytes so it will help with absorption. low carb, low sodium diets lead to issues with dehydration. however, i also would ask what you consider "having to go to the bathroom so much". it is very common for people that are used to only having to go once or twice a day to feel that going every two hours is too much. but that should be normal. also, you might try holding it a little, it helps to be able to learn to go less. with time you will adjust and be able to drink your water and only go to the bathroom every few hours.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Glenn Ellis Jr

Profile:

I drink about 2 cups of coffee every morning. Don't always use sugar or cream. My diet is modified Paleo I guess? I try to stick to the Crossfit Football Diet. I don't take supplements. I drink VitaCoco water daily, sometimes 2x a day. When I hit 1gal of water a day I use the bathroom every 45mins or so. I try to never chug the water, just a drink here and there. I guess my biggest question is, if I force myself to drink a 128oz + a day, will I eventually stop using the restroom so much? Every two hours would be great!
Old 09-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
Chris Mason

Profile:

As the other Chris said, I think you are probably low in sodium. Eat some salty foods and you will likely find your problem fixed.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:55 AM   #7
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
I guess my biggest question is, if I force myself to drink a 128oz + a day, will I eventually stop using the restroom so much?
No.

Could you clarify something? In your first post you state that you're "always thirsty", yet in your second post you ask about the effects of forcing yourself to drink more. So, are you genuinely thirsty or you trying to force down more fluids because you think you will benefit from it in some way?
Old 09-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
Glenn Ellis Jr

Profile:

I'm always thirsty, especially during WODs. And the advice of a few of my friends, was to drink a gallon or more of water. I have noticed better performance and decreased thirst, however a side effect has been pee breaks as frequent as 45 minutes. I am a recreation, physical health, and youth coordinator, which with the fun stuff comes many meetings, often hours and hours. As a facilitator, it's annoying to have to ask to be excused so th often.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
I'm always thirsty, especially during WODs. And the advice of a few of my friends, was to drink a gallon or more of water. I have noticed better performance and decreased thirst, however a side effect has been pee breaks as frequent as 45 minutes. I am a recreation, physical health, and youth coordinator, which with the fun stuff comes many meetings, often hours and hours. As a facilitator, it's annoying to have to ask to be excused so th often.
If you always feel thirsty despite drinking a large volume of water you really should go and see your doctor because, as I said earlier, this can be a sign of underlying medical problems.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
Jason Peacock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
If you always feel thirsty despite drinking a large volume of water you really should go and see your doctor because, as I said earlier, this can be a sign of underlying medical problems.
Yes, this, exactly. Always being thirsty despite drinking plenty, and urinating frequently, are both medical flags - it's not normal. In fact, abnormally frequent urination is a warning sign of both diabetes and prostate issues. Go to a doctor!