CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #21
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: Question about diet and fat-loss (the one-millionth, I'm sure)

the irony is a 5'7" 155lb guy with low lift numbers is telling a 6'2" 195lb guy with low lift numbers to go on a cut

i still think the best thing you can do is start trying to pack on muscle. while doing that add a bunch of weight to all your lifts. not only will you look better but you will feel better too, and your performance will go up. if you gained 25lbs and got up to 220, even if you gained just a little fat and were at 15%, then you would still look better. not to mention you could then go on a cut and get down to 10%, except then you would be 10% at 205 instead of 10% at 190. the added muscle will make it easier to get lean and stay lean too. instead of trying to lose fat, focus on increasing strength and performance. the best way to look like a big strong fast guy is to be one. when you can deadlift 500, squat 400, bench 300, press 200, do 100 pushups, 20 strict pullups, do 100 burpees in 5 minutes, and run a mile in 6 minutes all in the same day then I am willing to bet you will like the way you look. if your goal is actually to improve at CF, then you definetly need to get bigger and stronger. if your goal is purely just for looks, then you need to at least get bigger. if your only goal is to have a low bodyfat, then by all means, go on a cut and lose more weight. just don't be shocked when you look more like a skinny guy and less like an athlete than you hoped.

this is a link to some NFL players, take a look at their heights, weights, strength numbers, and how they look... I am guessing that looking like most of these wide receivers wouldn't make you too unhappy... and i chose this page in the top 100 because it has numerous guys about your height, very lean, and not too heavy... however you can look through all the pages and you will notice that there are tons of guys within an inch or so of your height and they all weigh around 220 - 240... http://www.muscleprodigy.com/the-top...arcl-1989.html (link WFS)
Old 09-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #22
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
the irony is a 5'7" 155lb guy with low lift numbers is telling a 6'2" 195lb guy with low lift numbers to go on a cut

i still think the best thing you can do is start trying to pack on muscle. while doing that add a bunch of weight to all your lifts. not only will you look better but you will feel better too, and your performance will go up. if you gained 25lbs and got up to 220, even if you gained just a little fat and were at 15%, then you would still look better. not to mention you could then go on a cut and get down to 10%, except then you would be 10% at 205 instead of 10% at 190. the added muscle will make it easier to get lean and stay lean too. instead of trying to lose fat, focus on increasing strength and performance. the best way to look like a big strong fast guy is to be one. when you can deadlift 500, squat 400, bench 300, press 200, do 100 pushups, 20 strict pullups, do 100 burpees in 5 minutes, and run a mile in 6 minutes all in the same day then I am willing to bet you will like the way you look. if your goal is actually to improve at CF, then you definetly need to get bigger and stronger. if your goal is purely just for looks, then you need to at least get bigger. if your only goal is to have a low bodyfat, then by all means, go on a cut and lose more weight. just don't be shocked when you look more like a skinny guy and less like an athlete than you hoped.

this is a link to some NFL players, take a look at their heights, weights, strength numbers, and how they look... I am guessing that looking like most of these wide receivers wouldn't make you too unhappy... and i chose this page in the top 100 because it has numerous guys about your height, very lean, and not too heavy... however you can look through all the pages and you will notice that there are tons of guys within an inch or so of your height and they all weigh around 220 - 240... http://www.muscleprodigy.com/the-top...arcl-1989.html (link WFS)
There are two ways to reach the same goal.

1. You can bulk up and get fat, then go on a cut and lose the body fat. This is fine if you are ok with getting fat.

2. Or you can cut weight and drop down to 10% body fat, or whatever your goal is, and then go on a slow bulk get strong and gain muscle. This is what I'm currently doing and while I lost some strength, I'm willing to accept it because I know I can get strong again like I used to be. Plus my main concern right now is my conditioning for soccer so that is why I'm 155 and my strength numbers are what they are.

Personally, I've done both and I prefer the second version because I don't want to bulk up and get fat. That's just me.

And in Beau's case, he was 220#. He just busted his butt to get down to what he is now. Why would be want to go back up and get fat all over again when he has just to lose a few more lbs to reach HIS goal. Once he gets to the 10% body fat, then he can slow bulk and put on strength.

Last edited by Paulo Santos : 09-22-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #23
Beau Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post

Thanks for your encouraging words about my low lift numbers that I've PR'd on four times this week. Am I Rich Froning? Nope. I'm not even really close to being a Regionals-level athlete. But I've made nothing but progress and gotten stronger and faster since starting CF. And that's my main goal: to get better. Would I like to lose just a little bodyfat? Sure. But I know if I keep getting better at what I'm doing, my physique will be fine.

I don't know if I'm being a little too sensitive about what you're posting, but you make my 196 lbs sound like I'm malnourished and frail. I weighed 145 coming out of high school and I've had to fight against my genetics tooth-and-nail for every ounce of muscle I've put on since then. And I'm going to continue to push for more. But forgive me for not being one of those guys that can just automatically squat 375 and deadlift 500 after putting in just a couple months' work.

And I'm sorry if I'm not basing my strength and appearance goals on NFL wide receivers. Do those guys work hard? Sure they do. Are most of them blessed with superior genetics? Most definitely. I actually work with a former NFL veteran DB (amongst other athletes) that's about 6'1", 220# and carved out of stone. We've worked out together and I was pretty much right behind him step-for-step the whole time (thanks to CF). He'll even admit that a lot of those NFL guys, himself included, would look fantastic even if they didn't put in the work.

I'm sorry about sounding a little agitated. I agree with you totally on your advice about getting stronger and adding muscle mass, but after PR'ing four times this week the "low lift numbers" comment kind of rustled my jimmies . No hard feelings, man.

Last edited by Beau Davis : 09-22-2012 at 11:53 AM.