CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 08-05-2010, 11:27 PM   #4691
James Easton

Profile:
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Ok so i may just be venting because I have had a pretty **** week but today I went to the gym on base, hoping to feel a bit better after doing a wod and some lifting, to find out that they have banned the use of chalk. One of the reasons I was given was that "this isn't a gymnastics gym".

Keeping in mind they just installed a large pull up station and gymnastics rings, i thought this was a pretty lame excuse. Then the SGT went on to say that I was making a mess with the chalk and I told him that I could clean it up and he just ignored that statement. Anyway I just find it pretty idiotic that they would ban chalk for no sensible reason.

Oh and I also had some ****** watch me doing snatches for a while then just stand right in front of me. When I dropped the weight almost on him he just scoffed then went back to his friends.

Finally, I saw some guy using the pull up assist bands to do some weird shoulder exercise. I just laughed when I saw him because he genuinely believed thats what the bands were for.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:34 PM   #4692
Antonio Roca

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Easton View Post

Finally, I saw some guy using the pull up assist bands to do some weird shoulder exercise. I just laughed when I saw him because he genuinely believed thats what the bands were for.
What was he doing? I've been told using those bands is a good way to warm-up your shoulders.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:57 PM   #4693
James Easton

Profile:

He had the band around his elbow and was pumping his arm up and down?? It was funny though because when someone used the bands for pullups he just looked at them and was like "WTF???"
Old 08-06-2010, 06:43 AM   #4694
Christy Labrie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Chang View Post
Could be straight leg DLs. They're typically done on a step since the plates will typically end up being below the feet.

Greg Everett says they're great for increasing back strength for supporting the spine in case of unexpected flexion.

It's not really recommended for most athletes, but it's something that could help.
Ahhh, got it now, makes sense. thanks
Well, he should have done more of them since he ended up hurting his back
Old 08-06-2010, 06:45 AM   #4695
Christy Labrie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
I've NEVER used bumpers for Deadlifts. Why? i'm not dropping the weights down. Yes most likely he was doing Stiff leg deadlifts...working his hamstrings and lower back, i've done them on a step box before, until it got smushed by the weight lol
I know you can do DLs w/o bumpers. I was saying he didnt use them more to set the picture of what he was doing
Old 08-06-2010, 07:06 AM   #4696
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Easton View Post
Ok so i may just be venting because I have had a pretty **** week but today I went to the gym on base, hoping to feel a bit better after doing a wod and some lifting, to find out that they have banned the use of chalk. One of the reasons I was given was that "this isn't a gymnastics gym".

Keeping in mind they just installed a large pull up station and gymnastics rings, i thought this was a pretty lame excuse. Then the SGT went on to say that I was making a mess with the chalk and I told him that I could clean it up and he just ignored that statement. Anyway I just find it pretty idiotic that they would ban chalk for no sensible reason.

Oh and I also had some ****** watch me doing snatches for a while then just stand right in front of me. When I dropped the weight almost on him he just scoffed then went back to his friends.

There is also liquid chalk that doesn't make a mess that you can use. It comes in a little squeeze tube, I have a few friends who use it at no chalk gyms.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #4697
Vince Mannella

Profile:

Today I saw a few wierdnesses at the globo.
- A dude doing curls in the smith machine.....
- Next dude uses the smith machine...bench press with no weight and at the top of the rep he throws the bar up as high as he can and then catches it and does another rep.....
Old 08-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #4698
Stuart Buck

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy Labrie View Post
Saw some guy doing DLs w/o bumpers.
However he was standing on a step box and doing them.
I thought it was wierd.

*OK, if this is a real move, than I am the wierd one
Like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf0-yeAWNO0 [wfs] That's legit.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #4699
Vince Mannella

Profile:

Wow...95% of that guy's body weight is in his upper body...his legs look like toothpicks!
Old 08-06-2010, 12:05 PM   #4700
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Mannella View Post
Wow...95% of that guy's body weight is in his upper body...his legs look like toothpicks!
Seeing as he's one of the strongest men in the world...I don't think he cares!

And I bet they're still pretty huge compared to your average man.