CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 07-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #31
Ned Ferguson

Profile:
Re: Glen Becks $9 online university 9 classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
There's a difference between ad hominem and questioning someone's credentials.

I am questioning how some guy who doesn't even have an academic degree can attempt to educate us in a "university." I'm not saying people who don't have degrees don't have things to teach, but on matters of academia? No.
Come now, Shane. When was the last time you criticized "McDonalds University?" You do know that Glenn Beck U does not purport to be an accredited university handing out degrees, right? Hyper-literalism makes for a weak argument.

Beck is not trying to teach "you" anything. He only invites students who want to submit to his teachings. This is in the great tradition of teachers though the ages. Somehow, in very recent history, we have come to the place where everything must be "state approved" and that "matters of academia" must be left to the "professionals." Thus, anything that falls under the umbrella of "academia" (as chosen by academics, of course) is off limits to the unwashed masses. We are to be told what to do, what to think, and what freedoms we are permitted by the elites. That so many people are blind to the evil consequence of this is disturbing indeed.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #32
Antonio Roca

Profile:

Ned,

You sound like you have a great distrust of academia. Is there a reason why?

Old 07-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #33
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

The irony is that this is the same tripe that Coach Glassman faces, as he has recounted numerous times. Where are Glassman's credentials? How dare he presume to define "fitness" and "health" -- slippery terms that doctorates have failed to pin down? How dare he begin a rival fitness method and proclaim its superiority? How dare Glassman purport to engage in science?

Glassman faces multiple assaults from those threatened by his effrontery. He regularly faces ad hominem attack. The educated elite and powerful fitness institutions seek to lobby the state (i.e. use force where they lose debate) to thwart the Crossfit movement as I write. If they can only succeed in requiring the requisite "licenses" and "credentials" (and imposing the right "standards") they will win the battle. This is a perfect example of the corrupt, institutional "bad" chasing out the good fruit of freedom.

Last edited by Ned Ferguson; 07-11-2010 at 04:55 PM..

Old 07-11-2010, 05:06 PM   #34
Antonio Roca

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Ferguson View Post
The irony is that this is the same tripe that Coach Glassman faces, as he has recounted numerous times. Where are Glassman's credentials? How dare he presume to define "fitness" and "health" -- slippery terms that doctorates have failed to pin down? How dare he begin a rival fitness method and proclaim its superiority? How dare Glassman purport to engage in science?

Glassman faces multiple assaults from those threatened by his effrontery. He regularly faces ad hominem attack. The educated elite and powerful fitness institutions seek to lobby the state (i.e. use force where they lose debate) to thwart the Crossfit movement as I write. If they can only succeed in requiring the requisite "licenses" and "credentials" they will win the battle. This is a perfect example of the corrupt, institutional "bad" chasing out the good fruit of freedom.
Ned,

Crossfit is becoming more popular (at least from what I see). It takes time, even years, for ideas to be accepted. I wouldn't say that the 'educated elite' are thwarting its popularity just yet. Actually, I've never read about an instance of the 'educated elite' lobbying the state specifically with an anti-Crossfit agenda. Like I said, Crossfit is becoming popular, most people don't know it exists. And if we're talking about the state, then what should we make of your claim given that several police, fire, and military institutions have adopted Crossfit as a program?

I think a better explanation may be that, from what I know, there isn't much research between whatever programs these 'powerful fitness institutions' adhere to and Crossfit. The wonderful thing is that if you truly believe the other people to be wrong, all you have to do is conduct some experiments and falsify their claims. Then give an argument for your position and send it all in to some journals. It will be peer reviewed, the results replicated elsewhere, and you'll be held in high praise.

You're making some vague references to the 'educated elite' and in this case the 'powerful fitness institutions'. Who are these people? I'm about to earn a degree, am I part of the educated elite? Are they elite because they're educated? Are you even referring to academia? I'm not sure you are because the whole point of academia is to have opposing views duke it out with peer reviewed discussion and research, and this doesn't seem relevant to the example you gave at all.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:40 PM   #35
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Beck is not trying to teach "you" anything. He only invites students who want to submit to his teachings.
You mean I too can learn to scream at people that disagree with me, make thinly veiled racist remarks and hate anyone that is of a different political affiliation than me? Where do I sign up!?

For the record I avoid all cable news networks. However, my parents are Fox News Zombies and I've seen Beck on several times while over there and I'm offended every time he opens his mouth.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:37 AM   #36
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

Wait- McDonalds has a university?

Someone in Subversive Marketing 101 must have come up with all the slogans on their bags. I stopped and picked up breakfast one day, and reading the bag was a little disturbing. I think one line said something like "Why do you NEED our burgers? Because they are made with 100% meat"

Need... hamburger...

Anyways, yeah, this is a joke and McDonalds University is a joke. I really don't care if people watch the show or not.

Also, what Antonio said.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:15 AM   #37
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Roca View Post
Ned,

You sound like you have a great distrust of academia. Is there a reason why?
To be as succinct as possible: statism.

"Everything Within the State, Nothing Outside the State."

Old 07-12-2010, 07:23 AM   #38
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
You mean I too can learn to scream at people that disagree with me, make thinly veiled racist remarks and hate anyone that is of a different political affiliation than me? Where do I sign up!?

For the record I avoid all cable news networks. However, my parents are Fox News Zombies and I've seen Beck on several times while over there and I'm offended every time he opens his mouth.
The screaming must be inside your head, because I've heard Beck quite a bit and I don't recall him screaming very much, if at all. He uses a chalkboard a lot and makes arguments. As for the "hate" and "racist" charges (Why did I know the latter was coming?), they themselves are rhetorical screams designed to shut down debate. All you have done is repeat the same charges over and over again with no specifics to offer whatsoever. You are guilty of that which you charge Beck.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:24 AM   #39
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
To be as succinct as possible: statism.

"Everything Within the State, Nothing Outside the State."
What does this mean?

Old 07-12-2010, 07:34 AM   #40
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:

That so many people are blind to the evil consequence of this is disturbing indeed.
I have known people in academia all my life, they are pretty much just people who like to think about whatever thing that interests them, write up their conclusions for others to read and review. Doesn't seem evil to me.

Can you be more specific? What are the people that go through academia not seeing or considering?

As for your Glassman example, if he were to start an Online University and have his HQ staff lecture people about Quantum Physics and Computational Biology, it would in fact be ridiculous.

He is however simply talking about lifting weights, running, etc..., and how these can be combined into an exercise program, something he, through his experience coaching, is perfectly well qualified to talk about.

That being said, if people pay the money to beck, good for him.