CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 05:39 AM   #1
Jeremy Raffer

Profile:
Great story about meeting god on a train

www.thrivenotes.com/lets-help-germinate-this-seed/YOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

Well worth the read and my posting it here.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Brent Eno

Profile:
Re: Great story about meeting god on a train

Thanks for posting. This is right in line with Sagan's "Cosmos", a book I truly love.

Interesting quote- "species who hold on to religion past its sell-by date tend to be most likely to self destruct. They spend so much energy arguing about my true nature, and invest so much emotion in their wildly erroneous imagery that they end up killing each other over differences in definitions of something they clearly havenít got a clue about. Ludicrous behaviour, but it does weed out the weaklings."

Old 07-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
Antonio Roca

Profile:

Sagan FTW.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Eno View Post
Thanks for posting. This is right in line with Sagan's "Cosmos", a book I truly love.

Interesting quote- "species who hold on to religion past its sell-by date tend to be most likely to self destruct. They spend so much energy arguing about my true nature, and invest so much emotion in their wildly erroneous imagery that they end up killing each other over differences in definitions of something they clearly havenít got a clue about. Ludicrous behaviour, but it does weed out the weaklings."
I dissagree with this. If you are right with the word of God, killing some one over a definition is not something I would do.
If you do kill or atack some one, you are going agains the word, or the teaching in the Bible.

I have nothing agains you at all Brent, Just dissagree with the quote.

I expect this thread will turn in to another argument and shut down. It is tough to have a conversation about God with out people getting upset or taking shots from both side.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
Brent Eno

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
I dissagree with this. If you are right with the word of God, killing some one over a definition is not something I would do.
If you do kill or atack some one, you are going agains the word, or the teaching in the Bible.

I have nothing agains you at all Brent, Just dissagree with the quote.

I expect this thread will turn in to another argument and shut down. It is tough to have a conversation about God with out people getting upset or taking shots from both side.
Of course you wouldn't do anything like that, but there are plenty of people that do. It seems like we read about suicide bombings and similar atrocities everyday in the newspaper. Humans have committed unimaginably horrible acts throughout our history in the name of religion(the inquisition, the slaughter of millions of protestants during the reformation, the crusades). I would even venture to say that the vast majority of injustices done upon humans by others have been the result of either race or religious differences, sometimes both. I wish everyone would see it like you do, but that's not how it is. (and I agree, it is tough to talk about this kind of issue, but I think its healthy every now and then as well.)

Old 07-07-2010, 04:44 AM   #6
Camille Lore

Profile:  

No religion or politics to be discussed here.

Closed Thread