CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 12-31-2009, 09:43 AM   #61
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Best all round' athletes other than x-fitters

Maybe. I don't think so though.

True story, I was at an FBI interview Prep session given by the FBI. During it they are talking about the written part of the test and the presentor says "No, length doesn't really matter". It took everything I had to not say "You're right, thickness is much more important" or "Thats NOT what she said".
Old 12-31-2009, 09:53 AM   #62
Matt Corley

Profile:

So is the FBI Prep Test given by the FBI???
Old 12-31-2009, 09:59 AM   #63
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

THe Phase two test (interview and essay) are administered by the FBI. THe FBI also has a prep session, which lasts about an hour, for Phase two testing. THey tell yu how to prepare, what to study, etc.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #64
John Praeuner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B. George View Post
NFL cornerbacks and NBA guards have the best all around athletic traits.

The GPP levels of NFL cornerbacks are quite elite along with the speed, strength and overall athletic ability their sport demands. Many of these athletes are running 40 yard dash times in the 4.3-4.4 range, have verticals in the high 30's to 40's, while possessing 2 x's bodyweight in squat and olympic lifts (eventhough very little actually do the lifts). Eventhough I feel the bench press is an extremely overrated exercise in general, especially for athletes, many cornerbacks are benching 225 in the rep range of 20's and 30's at bodyweights commonly around 170-180 lbs. That's more than solid. They demands of their sport require them to cover wide receivers and tight ends who are elite athletes at around 6'6" around 250 pounds. That's no easy task. These athletes are usually extremely lean as well with great levels of relative strength that can perform high number of pull ups and push ups, etc.

Lebron James would be an NFL wide receiver as well as many other sports star if he wasn't into just basketball. He had an all-state high school career as a wide-receiver in ohio scholastic level. At 6-8 270 pounds, his speed, vertical, strength is quite superior. Dwight Howard can bench press 375 pounds at 6'11". I know these are just random examples and in some cases are more about those who have won the genetic lottery than being trained and developed properly. But these are the most well rounded athletes in the world with almost all high level physical traits that go beyond just the sport they play. These athletes are far superior to any crossfitter.
Ok, bold point 1- where the hell are you getting these numbers?
bold point 2- just lol, seriously- lol
bold point 3- CB's damn near never cover TE's. and I mean damn near never.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #65
Ben Sparks

Profile:

The smallest non-kicker in the NFL right now is DeSean Jackson, WR, at 178 lbs.

Corners average about 6'1, 205-210. And they put up their 225 bench 20 times or so on average, not 30.

"Oly lift 2x BW" is a meaningless claim. The only olympic-style lift football players work with any regularity is the power clean, usually at weights more like their bench numbers.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #66
Suzanne Campbell

Profile:

I may get hammered for this, but was just watching TV and have to give a shout out to figure skaters. Holy crap-how do they do that-

Speed, power, balance, agility, strength, control, endurance, precision. All the elements of a gymnast while on ice. Crazy.

Last edited by Suzanne Campbell; 01-23-2010 at 02:19 PM..
Old 01-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #67
Antonio Roca

Profile:

Just throwing my two cents in: most traceurs, from my experience, aren't very athletic. Or if they are, aren't very well rounded. Though people like Levi Meeuwenberg are pretty athletically inclined

I think someone else said it best on this thread - generally informally trained, weak knees, bad elbows, blah blah.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #68
Thomas Green

Profile:

This guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vL19q8yL54

w/f/s
Old 01-24-2010, 06:56 PM   #69
Tony Black

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Roca View Post
Just throwing my two cents in: most traceurs, from my experience, aren't very athletic. Or if they are, aren't very well rounded. Though people like Levi Meeuwenberg are pretty athletically inclined

I think someone else said it best on this thread - generally informally trained, weak knees, bad elbows, blah blah.
Perhaps a correct assessment if your experience is only of a few enthusiastic individuals youve meet who do it now and again...... And technically there ALL informally trained! Its afterall a informal discipline without governing bodies and formal schools! Though Belle and a few others train students.

The student numbers arent as high as say rugby or football so the talent pool isnt as deep.

However some1 like David Belle or Sebastien Foucan whove been doing there art for close to 20+ years - and even some of the newer generation (Cionn, Blue, livewire etc) yea they stackup well against top level athletes in most sports. Theres a argument that only top tier gymnasts can come close to doing what they do and most arent as crazy (exception Damien Walters).

But then again your comparing apples to oranges - some1 whos trained daily at a high level of commitment and dedication for years and some young enthusiast whos usually embarked on a program without much forethought about the consequences of big drops without proper conditioning.

Its of note that many of the top end guys end up looking heavily muscled and powerful....

Note sure id give them the title best all rounders - but skillset is plenty hard to get and very worth the journey.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:56 PM   #70
Antonio Roca

Profile:

Don't get me wrong - it's all very impressive. I can safely say this since I gave it a shot for a while. I have a lot of admiration for those who parkour (can be a verb as far as I'm concerned). I just don't think they're well-rounded athletes