CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #31
Jon Bettis

Profile:
Re: How to get over the fact that I am so out of shape and embarassed about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew D. Anderson View Post
90% of the gym battle, in my mind, is walking through the door. Once you walk through mentality and desire changes for the better. There were many workouts I didn't feel like doing, but once I walked into the gym I found nothing could hold me back.
My journey to 110 lbs weight loss has been about 18-months. I believe it's 90% mind. Everyone wants immediate results and when they don't occur we lapse. I'm a number's guy and I know 3,500 calories is a pound. If I eat 500 calories less a day and workout and burn 500 calories a day that's 7,000 calorie difference or 2-lbs per week. I also know that I could eat great and have awesome workouts but step on the scale and weigh 3-lbs more or not workout eat like a pig and lose 5-lbs. What I did is set a goal of 1-lb per week and not let the scale get to my psych. Who wouldn't want to be 52-lbs lighter at the end of the year?

What also helped me is on Monday on the way to the office I stopped by a grocery store and picked up a party platter of fruit and another of vegtables and put them in the refrig. Each time I went to the break room I got a cup of fruit then the next time a cup of vegtables and rotated throughout the day. By exchanging 1-cup of fruit or vegtables for a bagel, muffin or doughnut people brought in I'm sure I saved 500 calories (and I don't count calories)

Jon
Old 02-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #32
Kevin Bowman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Haas View Post
At some point in the workout, I assure you, your embarassment will not be anywhere near the front of your mind.

Just.
Keep.
Moving.

Scale the workout to your ability. Trust the process.

Just.
Keep.
Moving.
Don't
Ever
Quit

Most people have felt that way about starting or being "that person". It takes time to become better and the CrossFit community is there. This is why scaling and modifications are there. Everyone finishes, but no one finishes alone. If you are pushing to the best of your abilities and I am pushing to the best of mine, does it matter what weights are used or what numbers appear on the board? No.

As Mike said, Trust the Process.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #33
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:

The cool thing about CrossFit is that you'll find out almost everyone has a weakness AND a strength.

For instance, I got discouarged when I first started, because everyone was smoking me for some reason; the long METCONs were kicking my butt and it seemed like everyone was getting done quicker than me.

Then we started doing squats and deadlifts...where I realized I was staying even with, and even a bit ahead of, the younger guys. Considering I've had lower back and ankle surgery, and am 36 whereas most are 10 years younger, that's saying something...and many realized exactly what I said above - some excel at some things naturally, some at other things.

You'll get it; just keep after it and DON'T EVER QUIT.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:22 AM   #34
Shawn Mullins

Profile:

What everyone else said...

CrossFit is about getting into shape, making a change and bettering yourself. You are on par with everyone in that class mentally just for showing up. There are so many people out there who sit on a couch and just veg out after work and never move. Each time you go, that's one step further away from that person on the couch.

Heck, when I first started this kind of training I though I was in shape... Then the workout started and I was crushed. Each day you get a little bit better.

All of these are WFS and worth a look.

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...o_Athletic.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOsvIl7VLYo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIBiUNIUiDg
Old 03-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #35
Kunu Kaushal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Sanchez View Post
Who knew that at age 30, I was so out of shape. I finished my on-ramp classes at my local Crossfit and today is my official first WOD but I am so embarassed to go to my first class and allow for more people to see how out of shape I am. Ugh!
Before I say the encouraging stuff: I know exactly what you mean. I'm just 2 months into crossfit and and started days before turning 29. I was 250 lbs and even the first couple of weeks left me so sore my wife had to help me get a shirt on and off. I kept getting the advice to just "keep going, it gets better". As the person in last place, worst times, terrible pain, (ironically) competitive and multiple fears of failure... It's hard to accept that it could get better.

The reality is: it does get better. The mental part of CF is much more important. I think of it like this: you WOD for 45 min 3-4 times a week but you live with the voice in your head 24/7. I had to realize that I was a sh@ty negative person to myself. I've started to appreciate the little victories. In my mind I've started to replace the negative with ANYTHING positive about myself and this journey. Just adding another WOD and completing is a big deal for me. I'm now more mad that I ever sat on the couch and got into this situation. I'm proud of myself for not being the "old" me and doing something about it.

If it means anything- people like us have more to gain out of this. I know for me, it's probably saving my life and adding years to it.

Keep your head up and be your own hero.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #36
Joseph M DAndrea

Profile:

Im in the exact same boat. I actually just did my first WOD to Rx. been doing it two weeks. i still cant keep up even on the warm ups. But the people are very encouraging.