CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
Scott Hall

Profile:
Lightbulb Tips for fat loss after 1 year of Paleo and new to CF

After lurking for the better part of a month on the CF Forum I decided I should sack up and post a question to anyone willing to help. Basically been the same weight/size for the last 4 months. Been doing Cross Fit for the last 2 now. Stuck in a plateau and I need tips on getting through it. I've been accused of being long winded so I'll try and be as concise as possible:

-Sept 2011 weighed 297 lbs. Height 5'10". Age 28. Goal to weigh 200lbs by my 30th Birtday (Sept 2013)
-Started low-carb diet and transitioned into paleo/still primarly focused on low carb diet. Still have some dairy (god I love cheese).
-Did some excercise on my own since May 2012 (did P90X "lean" phase and after completition of that ran 3-4 days a week on treadmill to try and train for Philly Half Marathon.)
-Hurt Right Knee, gave it a rest for November/December 2012. Sadly, could not run the Half. Started Cross Fit workouts with my brother in law on Dec 3rd and have not looked back since.

Today's weight: 218.8 lbs
Body Fat %: no earthly idea. If I was a planet before, I'm a moon now.
Measurements: 44" in chest and 44-45" around waist. The two main areas I need to lose body fat/excess skin/lean out. I think I have lost about 8-10 inches total so far in the waist though. From XXL shirts starting to get tight, to wearing a L pretty comfortably. I really should have measured more in the beginning. Still have slight "moobs" though that I would take off w/ a hacksaw if I could.

Goals: Have adjusted the 200lb goal slightly if only because I looked the way I want with my shirt off, and the scale happened to say 206 lbs I wouldn't care. My goal really is to look like an athlete and be at least semi-well defined and lean. Actual number on a scale not important.

Current diet: I stopped tracking daily as I've been in this routine for over a year now, if I had to guess I'm somewhere around 1,400-1,800 calories a day. Here's a sample of my recent diet

Breakfast- none. Never hungry in the morning. Coffee (about 16-24 oz w/ a sugar-free creamer and 2 packets of splenda enough for me)

Lunch- Big-a$$ salad. Typically half of a bag of salad with protein source (either 1 can of tuna or chicken breast pieces), some sunflower seeds, and Greek Lite dressing. Also sometimes a string cheese and sometimes pepperoni.
Snack- lately on days I do an olympic lift, I have taken to a low-carb protein bar in the afternoon (around 3pm). Also a diet soda. Try to not have more than 20oz a day of diet soda. I love it though...

Dinner- Post workouts. protein source (chicken breast or lean steak (100-130g if I had to estimate) or even all-beef hot dogs in a pinch) with an entire bag of steam-in-the-bag veggies. Either chopped spinach, broccoli, broccoli/cauliflower, or green beans. But I eat the entire bag. Usually water to drink.

Weekends can have a cheat meal (hello buffalo wings) but try to really only do 1 meal that weekend (i.e. if we eat out Saturday night, stay good the rest of the weekend).

Workouts are about 5 days a week at like 6:30 or 7:00. only routines are to hit the 4 main lifts (back squat/deadlift/overhead press/bench press) and then at least 2 days at some point of metcon or high cardio. Sometimes I follow a 3 on/1 off routine, and sometimes a 5 on/ 2 off depending on what my obligations are. I Scale any of the WOD's I follow and working more on form w/ lifts and going slow with any weight increases.

Possible problem areas/things to change (where you in the forum come in):

water- don't drink nearly enough. But w/ the coffee and diet soda intake I have during the day at my desk job- I already feel like I'm up peeing every 2 hours. But I do plan on at least getting to the 64-oz marker for water consumption

dairy- I maybe have the equivalent of 2-3 slices of cheese a day. either based on string cheese or an american cheese slice. But it is a consistent if still small part of my diet

diet soda- tough to give up as it is 0 calories/0 carbs. I know some people say it increases the appetite or whatever, but that hasn't happened to me. If anything it helps to satisfy any sweet tooth I have. But on some weekends I will put down 4-5 Cherry Coke Zeros in a day. So I could definitely cut back

calories- am I taking in enough calories? I don't feel like I struggle for energy to work out and can get through okay (at least I feel like it's not energy but strength/conditioning that holds me back right now). Would an increase in protein consumption or fats help to shed more?

supplements- currently not really taking any. Bought 300mg of Fish Oil to try that to help w/ recovery. Also really considering whey protein for post-workout, but haven't decided fully yet how I want to proceed. Amino Acids? Something else?

this feels like I just typed the Canterbury Tales, so I should stop now. But I think that addresses enough to have someone help give an answer. Appreciate anyone's time in reading and responding. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:
Re: Tips for fat loss after 1 year of Paleo and new to CF

Are you still losing weight? For weight loss, your calories seem okay. Now is probably the time you are going to have to get a little stricter with your "trying" to only eat one cheat meal. Keep it small. Start breaking the soda habit and make water bottles with a green tea bag or something to drink if you want flavor. Hydration is important for metabolic processes and muscle building. Cut back to two condition workouts and really hammer strength and get your numbers up. You need to build muscle too, not just look at the scale. Higher volume 5x5 and 6x6 type stuff like Chris Mason's program could do you well. Take in a little more protein too. Perhaps eat a few hardboiled eggs in the morning, even if you aren't that hungry. You could probably benefit from a little more protein in your day.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
Paulo Santos

Profile:

To loose body fat:

1. Cut your calories to lose 1/2-1 lb per week.
2. Strength train 3-4 times a week.
3. 1 gr of protein per LBM.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
Kevin Bowman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
To loose body fat:

1. Cut your calories to lose 1/2-1 lb per week.
2. Strength train 3-4 times a week.
3. 1 gr of protein per LBM.
How to determine a starting point for calories?
I am working on 2 and 3 (avg 180g of protein per day now), but the calories get me.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Start at 2000 and work down as needed.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
Michael Dries

Profile:

218 with a 44'' waist is north of 25% body fat. Which means you have 160# of lbm or less.

I'd start at 2000 calories as well. Stick to that 100% for 3-4 weeks and see if you lost any weight.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
Scott Hall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
218 with a 44'' waist is north of 25% body fat. Which means you have 160# of lbm or less.

I'd start at 2000 calories as well. Stick to that 100% for 3-4 weeks and see if you lost any weight.
So if I up my caloric intake, should I focus on proteins? If I kept everything constant to my current diet and added a protein shake and perhaps upping to 2 chicken breasts at dinner it seems that would do it, but I'm not sure if I can hit 160-180g of protein. Rough calculations I'm only around 90-100g tops right now, and that's factoring in the days I have a protein bar.

I agree with the other sentiments on water and becoming 100% strict for a few weeks to see what changes occur. To answer Bill's question earlier I have not really lost any weight (per the scale) since starting CF training. However, all my athletic measurables have greatly improved (strength, speed, stamina, etc)
Old 01-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
Scott Hall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Perhaps eat a few hardboiled eggs in the morning, even if you aren't that hungry. You could probably benefit from a little more protein in your day.
Just saw this line. Not sure how I missed it before. I think it's a good idea and something I can bring easily to work, and maybe even wait until 9:30-10:00 to eat.

Any thoughts to a protein shake first thing in the morning? Or is 1 time a day post workout enough for that?
Old 01-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
Kevin Bowman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hall View Post
I agree with the other sentiments on water and becoming 100% strict for a few weeks to see what changes occur. To answer Bill's question earlier I have not really lost any weight (per the scale) since starting CF training. However, all my athletic measurables have greatly improved (strength, speed, stamina, etc)
Same boat here, Scott.
Except that I am hair taller and several pounds heavier.

Gained a ton of strength, better endurance during most WODs, and have shifted body composition, but no weight loss. So, in 2013, I opted to start with my diet first.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
Scott Hall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bowman View Post
Same boat here, Scott.
Except that I am hair taller and several pounds heavier.

Gained a ton of strength, better endurance during most WODs, and have shifted body composition, but no weight loss. So, in 2013, I opted to start with my diet first.
Glad to hear there's someone in the same boat... I think I struggle in that I lost 45-50lbs strictly by dietary changes alone when I first started. Perhaps I've slid back a little, or my body has adjusted to the diet changes I'm not sure. I'm excited to work on strength training... I enjoy it more and more each time.