CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-01-2006, 10:07 AM   #1
Garrett Smith

Profile:
http://www.youngerthanyourage.com/4/...iveCalcium.htm

http://www.youngerthanyourage.com/13/cancer2.htm

These are all well-referenced. The first "theory" was recently published in the peer-reviewed medical journal "Medical Hypotheses", what I consider the most forward-thinking and non-biased conventional publication out there.

The first article has, in combination with Z-Health, completely changed my paradigm and purpose/goal behind my own physical training.

Enjoy!
Old 09-01-2006, 11:43 AM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Very interesting ideas...
Old 09-01-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Holy irony that could of been predicted by thinking of things in the context of evolutionary biology, Batman!
Old 09-01-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
Ron Murphy

Profile:

thankyou Garrett for the post on dairy,another reason to stop putting dairy products in our bodies.

Dairy free for 35 years. giving up dairy made a big difference in my health.
neal
from your tone It feels like your not impressed with the studies on dairy that garrett posted.
maybe you could post some "real studies" [as you often say] to the contary of the information that garrett posted.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Uhhh, I was supporting what Garrett said. That milk may cause osteoporosis is ironic given what has been stated about it, and I was saying that in a humorous way.

(Message edited by trianglechoke7 on September 01, 2006)
Old 09-01-2006, 03:11 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:
One thing I would add is that I do believe that pasteurization, homogenization, and grain-feeding cows plays a big role in this issue, at least in regards to the milk portion.

I'd guess that in the countries that drank very little milk, that all of it was raw and from very *local* cattle (that probably scrounged around for whatever foods they could find).

I don't agree with modern dairy and supplements in an effort to force down more calcium. However, upon further inspection, if one was eating Paleo-style, a significant amount of calcium would likely be eaten a day. I believe that this would be metabolized much differently (acid/base-wise, especially) than dairy or isolated supplements.

If I was informed correctly, cows only naturally calve once a year (I think it was the spring?). I don't know what a natural milk cycle (until weaning) is, however, I do know that unless there are a lot of cows around, milk wasn't a year-round food for people in the past. I believe that is part of the issue here as well.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:41 PM   #7
Yael Grauer

Profile:
That's exactly what I wanted to ask. What about eating small amounts of raw cheese or even raw milk? (I eat raw beef too, I'm a bit of a heretic.)
Old 09-01-2006, 03:49 PM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
As has been mentioned processing and grain feeding change things dramatically. Raw/grassfed dairy is likely much more benign than conventional dairy but it is still a neolithic food. Some will do better with it than others.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:24 PM   #9
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Yael,
Raw meat good! (grunt, grunt)

I love my raw lamb leg steaks! A little sage, garlic powder, fresh ground pepper, crystal salt, olive oil, and I'm a very happy boy. The most tender meat one can get (now, without extra carcinogens!).

Raw dairy, small amounts, okay. Raw cultured dairy (kefir, kefir cheese), much more preferable.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:03 PM   #10
Yael Grauer

Profile:
ROCK! A doctor that eats raw meat!!! I go for the raw grass-fed ground beef from TJ's. YUM! Helps with hydration. I haven't tried raw eggs yet but that's next on my list. As long as I can keep eating raw cacao nibs every once in a while, nobody will get hurt.

Kefir cheese, I'll keep that in mind.

Oh, as for the calcium/magnesium info in the second article, I *was* reading about how symptoms of "calcium deficiency" are often magnesium deficiency.