CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 06-07-2007, 05:47 AM   #1
Patrick Henry

Profile:
I an pretty new to CrossFit and have been trying to get my workout partner to try some of the WODs. I was looking at yesterdya's workout, "Angie" and was thinking about how long it would take to do the workout.

My job gives us about 45-50 minutes per day to exercise. This can be at any time in the day, but we typically go around lunchtime. There is a fairly well-stocked weightroom with 75-80% of the equipment that I would say would be needed to do the WODs.

Anyway, we have to be selective abotu which workouts we do, based on time restrictions. the "Angie" seemes like I could complete it, but someone who is not great at pull-ups could be doing this workout for HOURS.

"Angie"

For time:
100 Pull-ups
100 Push-ups
100 Sit-ups
100 Squats

That being said, is it "cheating" if one were to do 10 pull-ups, then 10 push-ups, then 10 sit-ups, etc., until they had done 100 of each? This would not fully tax each primary muscle group as succinctly, but instead of taking 20 minutes to just hit the pulls, you could almost be finished in 25 minutes total if you worked the other movements between sets of pulls.

I am just wondering how that would work, in terms of following protocol. When we had "dedicated" days for back, we did 8-10 sets of 10-15 pullups, since they are the best single exercise for back (IMO), but this took a long time to do. Adding 3 other exercises between sets would not prolong the workout too much, but adding them AFTER the pulls could take a looooong time...

(Message edited by phenryiv1 on June 07, 2007)
Old 06-07-2007, 06:17 AM   #2
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Patrick, doing your proposed workout would not be Angie but still better than not doing the workout. Another not quite Angie which would preserve a lot of the stimulus would be to do Upside Down Angie with a time limit.

So start with the squats, then sit-ups then push-ups and keep doing pull-ups till you hit your time limit. At that point you are done. Generally, for these bodyweight type WOD's oriented more towards Met-Con I would suggest a time limit of maximum 40 min.

Or just do Angie but as soon as you are knocking out double or single pull-ups ramp it up again with jumping pull-ups.

Alternatively, you could do a set of 25 pull-ups before starting each other exercise.

Lastly, you could just do a straight scale of the whole workout. For this workout, and every other CF.com WOD there is no better place to go for scaling than Jeff and Mikki Martin's BrandX

http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/index.php (W/S, F/S)

Cheers, kempie
Old 06-07-2007, 09:05 AM   #3
Patrick Henry

Profile:
I want to clarify- I can do the workout. Doing 100 pull-ups is not a big deal. My workout partner, however, can top out at sets of just 12-13 reps, meaning he would be up to about 10 sets and take 20+ minutes just to hit the pulls.

I could knock out 100 pulls in 5-6 minutes. At 5'5" and 158, I have an advantage over my buddy, who is 5'10" @ 180, plus I JUST got him to do pullups starting 8 weeks ago. Before that, he used a lat pull-down machine. His lats have exploded in the 8 weeks of pulls, but he still takes 20 minutes to do his 8 sets of 10.

I do 8 sets of 15 and only rest as long as I do because I work between his sets.

I like the idea of the time limit, though. He saw my enthusiasm for the CrossFit workouts and has embraced the ideology, thogh he is slow on the uptake of new methods. We are adapting what we can with the facilities that we have. I have a newborn at home, and having the workout facility at work is a real blessing, even if it means I have to adapt the workouts a bit. Getting paid time to workout (as a part of a fitness push by my employer) is a great benefit to have!
Old 06-07-2007, 02:08 PM   #4
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Patrick, great to hear you can do it but even if that was not the case I meant no disrespect. Just that these workouts are strong medicine and there are different ways to ensure you get a safe dose in the beginning. All the same applies to your friend or anyone else you introduce to CF.

Congrats on the newborn and also on converting a buddy to this craziness. Shared suffering is always better.

Cheers, kempie
Old 06-08-2007, 06:35 AM   #5
Patrick Henry

Profile:
I never took what you said as any kind of insult. This whole site seems focused on positive thinking- not tearing down. I was just pretty proud of my ability. :happy:

My buddy (as well as I) have seen some great workouts, based on using the CrossFit workouts. I am trying to get my wife to try it, though obviously with some scaling. We don't do the WODs on the right day, but we do have a printed list of the ladies, and we scan old WODs for ones that we can do. We are working on proficiency at some new lifts. Push-press was a new exercise for us, but we have made good gains in the 3 different workouts where we have done them.

Now if I can just get down the motion of a muscle-up...
Old 06-08-2007, 01:44 PM   #6
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Nice one Patrick - you should be proud. Angie is not a very nice girl!

If you're working on muscle-ups check BrandX's CrossFitKids for an awesome video on muscle-up progressions. Something there for everyone.

Look forward to seeing your progress mate.

Cheers, kempie
Old 06-11-2007, 07:41 AM   #7
Patrick Henry

Profile:
Chris-

I THINK that I have seen that, but do you have a link?

Muscle-ups are killing me. I start EVERY workout with 1-5 attempts at a bar muscle-up. I cannot get my elbows to "break" over the bar. If I hoist myself up there, I can do the "dip" portion all day, and I can do 30 pullups in a single set...but I cannot put the two together.

For bench dips, I am at 45-50 reps per set, and on parallel bar dips I am at 35-40.

Pullups I do sets of 15 all day (8 sets minimum). ONE measily muscle-up escapes me.

BTW- no rings at my gym. Working on that.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:35 AM   #8
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Patrick, check out the vids on this page

http://crossfitkids.typepad.com/crossfitkids_videos/ (W/S, F/S)

My muscle up has gone on holiday again but a little while ago when I was working diligently on it there were a couple things that really helped me. These were for a ring muscle-up and I have never done a bar one so take this with a grain of salt.

Firstly, the number of pull-ups and dips you can do is less helpful than the range of your pull-ups and dips. Work on chest pull-ups and deep deep dips. Also, weighted pull-ups are your friend. Anything that helps you explode over the bar is a good thing so if you learn to pull heavy then your measly body weight feels like air and up you go.

Most of the muscle-up threads here are regarding rings but there are a couple addressing the bar variety so a search should yield some fruit.

Hope this helps and keep us posted on your progress.

Cheesr, kempie