CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-11-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
Kevin Cale

Profile:
increases on WS4SB

Programs like SS and PP usually advocate 1 to 3 pound increases each workout on bench once the early gains lessen.
On WS4SB when using bench press as ME Upper lift what sort of increases can you expect each week on the 5RM. As the ME lift gets rotated every 3 weeks can I increase the bench again in the first week of the next rotation-hope I made this clear.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
Donald Lee

Profile:
Re: increases on WS4SB

I don't think Joe DeFranco talks about rotating exercises. Rotating exercises is a WS thing, not a WS4SB thing. As far as I know, Joe DeFranco doesn't tell you what to do when you stall on the ME lifts, although he does tell you what to do for the Repetition lifts.

There are a few things you could do. You could start off with 5RM, and increase weights as you wish. When you're nearing a stall, you could microload. Or, you could reset and go for a 3RM. Then, once you stall, you could reset and go for a 1RM. Rinse and repeat. Once that stops working, you could start switching exercises, such as DB Bench Press, Incline Bench Press, Floor Press, etc. You could switch every month or so.

Generally, you do not want to switch exercises every week like with Westside, because if you're not advanced, you generally need some time to recondition your body to the neural patterns of the exercise.