CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-31-2004, 08:13 AM   #1
Gregory Spilson

Profile:
Just curious as to their overall value. I have read (more than once) both Neanderthin and the Paleo Diet, and little or no info is presented in regards to coconuts. I have also heard studies that coconut globulin is a superior protein. Any verdict?
Old 05-31-2004, 08:53 AM   #2
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
As far as I know, coconuts are great for you. I think it's something about how the fatty acids are already mostly broken down, and are used as energy much more readily... not sure on the science, though. My brother puts coconut milk in his protein shakes, and he says it works pretty well, so maybe that helps, hehe.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:20 PM   #3
Scott Kustes

Profile:
From what I've read, the medium chain saturated fats contained in coconut milk/oil are very healthy. I'm sure someone here can provide some even better information.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:35 PM   #4
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

"Approximately 50% of the fatty acids in coconut fat are lauric acid. Lauric acid is a medium chain fatty acid, which has the additional beneficial function of being formed into monolaurin in the human or animal body. Monolaurin is the anti-viral, antibacterial, and antiprotozoal monoglyceride used by the human or animal to destroy lipid coated viruses such as HIV, herpes, cytomegalovirus, influenza, various pathogenic bacteria including listeria monocytogenes and heliobacter pylori, and protozoa such as giardia lamblia. Some studies have also shown some antimicrobial effects of the free lauric acid."

www.coconut-info.com

Just something to look at.

-Jay