CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2010, 06:54 AM   #1
Frank Passalacqua
Member Frank Passalacqua is offline
 
Frank Passalacqua's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perkasie  PA
Posts: 31
Zone Carb Question (apples)

Hey guys, I'm on my 5th day of the zone. Things are going well but I have a question. I'm using Apples and oranges to make up some easy carb blocks because at 19 blocks eating that many veggies seems impossible! I feel like I'm eating TOO many apples though. I'm between 2-3/day. Will this prohibit weight loss due to the extra sugar? If so, suggestions on how I can make up those big blocks of carbs for my 5 block meals?

Background, 6'2" 238lbs 20% bf calced with handheld thingy (yes i've heard it's inaccurate) looking to drop 10-15lbs of fat.

Thanks!
__________________
Power through it.

Last edited by Frank Passalacqua; 01-14-2010 at 07:17 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
Don Traxler
Member Don Traxler is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dansville  NY
Posts: 36
Re: Zone Carb Question (apples)

I think this is something thats different for everyone. For example, I eat 3+ apples or oranges a day because they are easier to carry than chick peas or any vegetable. I am down to 8% body fat as of now, and started at 13%. I think the most important part is to make sure that you are doing everything you can to keep the rest of your food intake clean and consistent.

Try it out, and see how you feel and look (mirror test). If you are not getting results or are feeling subpar during/after workouts then re evaluate what you are eating and when you are eating it.

Best of luck!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
Brian Bedell
Member Brian Bedell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lantana  FL
Posts: 2,870
Re: Zone Carb Question (apples)

I do believe that apples are on the 'favorable' list, so have at 'em. But be more careful of the oranges.

FYI, you can sub fat blocks too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
Don Traxler
Member Don Traxler is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dansville  NY
Posts: 36
Re: Zone Carb Question (apples)

Oranges are also on the favorable list, per the CFJ article. I agree with subbing fat blocks, it works good and tastes great!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki
Member Jamie J. Skibicki is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pittsburgh  PA
Posts: 8,841
Re: Zone Carb Question

Berries and cherries are good as well, though I a bit pricey
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
Frank Passalacqua
Member Frank Passalacqua is offline
 
Frank Passalacqua's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perkasie  PA
Posts: 31
Re: Zone Carb Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Berries and cherries are good as well, though I a bit pricey
Hey thanks all! Ok I guess I will keep goin with what i'm doing now.

Yes, I noticed that buying all fresh stuff is more pricey...does anyone do frozen fruit/berries? You can get a lot for not that much.
__________________
Power through it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki
Member Jamie J. Skibicki is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pittsburgh  PA
Posts: 8,841
Re: Zone Carb Question

frozen is good
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
Jason David
Affiliate Jason David is offline
 
Jason David's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Clair Shores  MI
Posts: 3,037
Re: Zone Carb Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Passalacqua View Post
Hey thanks all! Ok I guess I will keep goin with what i'm doing now.

Yes, I noticed that buying all fresh stuff is more pricey...does anyone do frozen fruit/berries? You can get a lot for not that much.
Yep...costco. Eat 'em every day w/walnuts.
__________________
www.stclairshorescrossfit.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
Chad Ryan
Member Chad Ryan is offline
 
Chad Ryan's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bloomington  IN
Posts: 72
Re: Zone Carb Question

Frank - I have been going back and forth over the same issue. I am on Day 9 of the Zone with a 19 block deal. Dinner I get a lot of veggies in to hit 5 blocks (the huge 1 block salad and about 4 cups of broccoli for starters) but my lunch and snacks tend to be fruit. I have lost 4 pounds so I am pleased with the results but was worried about the sugar as well.

I have cut out grains and legumes for the most part so that makes it a challenge to get in the 5 blocks of carbs. I tried subbing out 2 carb blocks this morning at breakfast with 6 additional fat blocks (11 total for the meal) and that seemed to work out well. I am concerned with adding that much fat though even though my overall calories are still around the same.

I think I will keep taking down the fruit and seeing if I continue to see good results. All the fruits I eat are on the favorable list. When I start plateauing then I might sub carb blocks for fats for a couple meals to see the results and start tweaking from there.

Best,

Chad
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:22 AM   #10
Frank Passalacqua
Member Frank Passalacqua is offline
 
Frank Passalacqua's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perkasie  PA
Posts: 31
Re: Zone Carb Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Ryan View Post
Frank - I have been going back and forth over the same issue. I am on Day 9 of the Zone with a 19 block deal. Dinner I get a lot of veggies in to hit 5 blocks (the huge 1 block salad and about 4 cups of broccoli for starters) but my lunch and snacks tend to be fruit. I have lost 4 pounds so I am pleased with the results but was worried about the sugar as well.

I have cut out grains and legumes for the most part so that makes it a challenge to get in the 5 blocks of carbs. I tried subbing out 2 carb blocks this morning at breakfast with 6 additional fat blocks (11 total for the meal) and that seemed to work out well. I am concerned with adding that much fat though even though my overall calories are still around the same.

I think I will keep taking down the fruit and seeing if I continue to see good results. All the fruits I eat are on the favorable list. When I start plateauing then I might sub carb blocks for fats for a couple meals to see the results and start tweaking from there.

Best,

Chad
Chad,

Same here. I cut out ALL grains and anything processed. So it's basically all veggies and meats for this guy! I'm going to stick with the fruit and hit up BJ's for some XL bags of frozen berries and such. We'll see how things go. I will be weighing in tomorrow for the first time....hoping for something good.

Thanks every!
__________________
Power through it.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zone Carb questions Dan Koloski Nutrition 0 11-17-2008 03:24 PM
Question on the Zone and carb blocks Zach S Nutrition 9 10-05-2008 04:39 PM
zone carb block calculation question Lin Vinson Nutrition 2 10-07-2007 04:06 PM
Lower carb zone Kevin McKay Nutrition 9 06-30-2006 11:17 PM
High-Altitude Nutrition Question (zone or high carb?) Frank Batt Nutrition 5 06-28-2006 07:51 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:31 PM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.