CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-14-2010, 06:54 AM   #1
Frank Passalacqua

Profile:
Zone Carb Question (apples)

Hey guys, I'm on my 5th day of the zone. Things are going well but I have a question. I'm using Apples and oranges to make up some easy carb blocks because at 19 blocks eating that many veggies seems impossible! I feel like I'm eating TOO many apples though. I'm between 2-3/day. Will this prohibit weight loss due to the extra sugar? If so, suggestions on how I can make up those big blocks of carbs for my 5 block meals?

Background, 6'2" 238lbs 20% bf calced with handheld thingy (yes i've heard it's inaccurate) looking to drop 10-15lbs of fat.

Thanks!

Last edited by Frank Passalacqua; 01-14-2010 at 07:17 AM..
Old 01-14-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
Don Traxler

Profile:
Re: Zone Carb Question (apples)

I think this is something thats different for everyone. For example, I eat 3+ apples or oranges a day because they are easier to carry than chick peas or any vegetable. I am down to 8% body fat as of now, and started at 13%. I think the most important part is to make sure that you are doing everything you can to keep the rest of your food intake clean and consistent.

Try it out, and see how you feel and look (mirror test). If you are not getting results or are feeling subpar during/after workouts then re evaluate what you are eating and when you are eating it.

Best of luck!
Old 01-14-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I do believe that apples are on the 'favorable' list, so have at 'em. But be more careful of the oranges.

FYI, you can sub fat blocks too.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
Don Traxler

Profile:

Oranges are also on the favorable list, per the CFJ article. I agree with subbing fat blocks, it works good and tastes great!
Old 01-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Zone Carb Question

Berries and cherries are good as well, though I a bit pricey
Old 01-14-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
Frank Passalacqua

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Berries and cherries are good as well, though I a bit pricey
Hey thanks all! Ok I guess I will keep goin with what i'm doing now.

Yes, I noticed that buying all fresh stuff is more pricey...does anyone do frozen fruit/berries? You can get a lot for not that much.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

frozen is good
Old 01-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Passalacqua View Post
Hey thanks all! Ok I guess I will keep goin with what i'm doing now.

Yes, I noticed that buying all fresh stuff is more pricey...does anyone do frozen fruit/berries? You can get a lot for not that much.
Yep...costco. Eat 'em every day w/walnuts.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
Chad Ryan

Profile:

Frank - I have been going back and forth over the same issue. I am on Day 9 of the Zone with a 19 block deal. Dinner I get a lot of veggies in to hit 5 blocks (the huge 1 block salad and about 4 cups of broccoli for starters) but my lunch and snacks tend to be fruit. I have lost 4 pounds so I am pleased with the results but was worried about the sugar as well.

I have cut out grains and legumes for the most part so that makes it a challenge to get in the 5 blocks of carbs. I tried subbing out 2 carb blocks this morning at breakfast with 6 additional fat blocks (11 total for the meal) and that seemed to work out well. I am concerned with adding that much fat though even though my overall calories are still around the same.

I think I will keep taking down the fruit and seeing if I continue to see good results. All the fruits I eat are on the favorable list. When I start plateauing then I might sub carb blocks for fats for a couple meals to see the results and start tweaking from there.

Best,

Chad
Old 01-15-2010, 06:22 AM   #10
Frank Passalacqua

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Ryan View Post
Frank - I have been going back and forth over the same issue. I am on Day 9 of the Zone with a 19 block deal. Dinner I get a lot of veggies in to hit 5 blocks (the huge 1 block salad and about 4 cups of broccoli for starters) but my lunch and snacks tend to be fruit. I have lost 4 pounds so I am pleased with the results but was worried about the sugar as well.

I have cut out grains and legumes for the most part so that makes it a challenge to get in the 5 blocks of carbs. I tried subbing out 2 carb blocks this morning at breakfast with 6 additional fat blocks (11 total for the meal) and that seemed to work out well. I am concerned with adding that much fat though even though my overall calories are still around the same.

I think I will keep taking down the fruit and seeing if I continue to see good results. All the fruits I eat are on the favorable list. When I start plateauing then I might sub carb blocks for fats for a couple meals to see the results and start tweaking from there.

Best,

Chad
Chad,

Same here. I cut out ALL grains and anything processed. So it's basically all veggies and meats for this guy! I'm going to stick with the fruit and hit up BJ's for some XL bags of frozen berries and such. We'll see how things go. I will be weighing in tomorrow for the first time....hoping for something good.

Thanks every!