CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
Emily Ciccarella

Profile:
vegetarian paleo?

Hi,

I'm just starting to follow the paleo diet but I rarely eat meat. I do like seafood and white meat but I only eat that when I am home from college since I don't have time to cook it myself. Any other valid suggestions for my protein take? I'll take all the help I can get.

Thanks,

Emily from CrossFit Buffalo
Old 12-02-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: vegetarian paleo?

Vegetarian protein sources need cooking too. If you have time to cook a tofu burger, you have time to cook a chicken breast.

Among meat-free protein sources, eggs are completely paleo, dairy is marginal, and legumes aren't paleo at all.

Katherine
Old 12-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Why do you not eat meat? Just wondering what your reasons are and how strongly you feel about it...

If you eat fish, then it can't so much be an ethics thing right.. Because fish are living creatures too.

If it is a health thing, there is no reason not to include meat in your diet - moderate meat consumption is not unhealthy.

If it is a caloric control thing, there are plenty of lean meats available that are very low in calories.

My advice would be to just eat some meat if it doesn't bother you too much, meat is the easiest way to get protein anyway. Fish is fine but these days you have to worry about mercury and all that, not so good to be eating mass quantities of the stuff especially if you are not too familiar with the source.

If you really feel strongly about not eating meat, you can probably make do with fish and eggs (do you eat eggs?). I would suggest dairy too, but that's not Paleo.

I think processed soy products are frowned upon but I'm not sure what the stance is on fresh edamame, that's a pretty good source of protein.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:59 AM   #4
Laura Kurth

Profile:

oh wait, I missed that.

The only reason you don't eat more meat is because you don't "have time to cook it"? Well that's just ridiculous.

Put some effort into your nutrition, it's not that hard!

Also, if you want to be lazy you can buy deli meats that are more 'natural', that might be a viable option. And canned tuna requires no cooking at all (but tends to be high in mercury)
Old 12-02-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
S.S.

Profile:

Ground beef and turkey take like no time to make. Throw some meat, pepper, onions, paprika, and olive oil in a pan, set on medium-high, cover, stir once per minute, remove after 5-7 minutes. Done.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:40 AM   #6
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Ground beef and turkey take like no time to make. Throw some meat, pepper, onions, paprika, and olive oil in a pan, set on medium-high, cover, stir once per minute, remove after 5-7 minutes. Done.
yeah, I just cook a bunch of hamburgers/chicken in one go, fry them in a pan and then I have meat in the fridge for days to take to work with me.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #7
Brian J. Ross

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
yeah, I just cook a bunch of hamburgers/chicken in one go, fry them in a pan and then I have meat in the fridge for days to take to work with me.
I am a big fan of Laura's method, usually do it on Sunday.

There was a recent thread on slow cookers. Get one, throw in a roast (takes 42 seconds) when you come back from class, it will be ready. Should feed you for a few days.

There are some decent soy/vegan protein powders out there. Google it or check amazon.

Spirulina is another good source, kind of difficult to work with though. It is a fine powder that doesn't mix well. Turns everything within 3 feet green.

Josh Everitt's CFJ food diary tells us he uses liver powder as a protein source. Also a good source of iron if you don't eat much red meat.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:38 PM   #8
Daniel Lyell

Profile:

Dining halls have to serve meat. Supplement that with groceries. I eat strictly paleo at college and have no problems getting in good protein.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #9
Mike ODonnell

Profile:

Canned fish takes 30 seconds or less to open....and nowadays you can buy a small whole cooked chicken at most supermarkets for $5.

Besides that....we all have enough time in a day no matter how hard we work, we just have to prioritize food and health over lesser important time wasters like TV and Facebook.....and speaking of FB, I'm going to leave this with a quote I found the other day:

Quote:
Vegetarian: Native American definition for 'lousy hunter'.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:28 PM   #10
Emily Ciccarella

Profile:

thanks for the help! I guess my reasoning for not eating meat in the first place was because of a lack of education...in high school I was under the misconception that red meat was bad so I cut that out completely...then with my hectic schedule I avoided cooking nearly altogether. Now I pretty much eat raw every day, but I think I'll just have to find the time and cook up some chicken on the weekends and keep it in the fridge for a week. I do also eat eggs, but I am trying to cut them out because I'm also loosely following the blood type diet and blood type O diets call for restricted dairy intake.