CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 06-15-2006, 10:12 PM   #31
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Holy s*&t George you belted that one out of the park! Awesome work dude.

Cheers, kempie
Old 06-15-2006, 10:16 PM   #32
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
George that is an amazing time. No way I can touch that...well done. I'm going to try it with the proper row distances and see how close I come but I don't think I can get much closer than 20 minutes. How didi you break down the push presses?
Old 06-16-2006, 09:35 AM   #33
Michael Latch

Profile:
OMFG, George! Nice work!

How much do you weigh, out of curiousity?!

Mike in L.A.
www.valleycrossfit.com
Old 06-16-2006, 11:11 AM   #34
Patrick Kennedy

Profile:
My first go at this today, 23mins and change, (23:37 I think) I was trying to store the time and instead reset the chrono, DOH!

BW 180. HT 5'10"

Rows were all around 2:00-2:03.
drag ~125, 36-38 SPM
Push press sets as follows
25-25-20-15-15
15-15-15-15-15
15-15-20

I'm very new to the C2, and my technique is all over the place. I'm trying to find a groove. I have a long torso and short legs, so I have a tendency to really lean back to extend the pull, which I don't think is a great idea. My best 500m was 1:42, but it bothered my back. No way I could do it 4x! Today I tried to sit up straighter and just use my legs. Anyone with a similar body type have any advice?

I know I can better this. I changed grip in the pushpress during the second round, from full grip to just finger-tips, using more of a pop off the shoulders. Bad idea because I then had to grip again at lockout and it bothered my wrist. Went back to full grip for last two rounds, and it went much better.

Thanks,

Pat

(Message edited by patch on June 16, 2006)
Old 06-16-2006, 02:29 PM   #35
GEORGE FISH

Profile:

Mike: I weight 82kg. I am fortunate enough to have spent some time training on ergos, so was able to produce good times without writing myself off for the push press. That said today, two days after the event I am very tired, with muscular aches on back and deltoids. I should also say I rested properly prior to this WOD, and focussed on it like a race. I was fully jacked, in the zone and up for it, it was not just another WOD in my 3 on 1 off schedule. Also this WOD really plays to my stengths.

eugene - for the 100 I got to 52 before resting in place (not alowed to put the bar down). I have recently been doing twice weekly 100 x 1 rep of Clean and jerks, clean and press, OH Squat and Clean and push press with 80% of my max. This, in addition to alot of work on HSPU really paid off with the lighter loading. I do not know the remainder of my break downs exactly but they tended to be aimed at 10-15 reps before active rest.
Finally I really suprised myself. Planning a rematch this week to confirm!
Old 06-16-2006, 02:51 PM   #36
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
I was expecting you to weigh more George, it would have made me feel better. You are 180 pounds and I am 170 (77kg) and your push presses make me look like a mediocre endurance athlete....oh wait, that's what I am. No wonder I did 20, then 15 then some 10's and 5's after that. Incredible job George, looks like I will have to work on my push presses as well as my pullups...and rows, and thrusters, and OHS...does this ever end?
Old 06-17-2006, 06:55 PM   #37
Michael Latch

Profile:
Wow, this thread is so much fun for me to read!!!

Mike in L.A.
www.valleycrossfit.com
Old 06-19-2006, 06:14 PM   #38
Alex Jonusas

Profile:  
What a smoker. Did this a few days ago. Can't remember exact time but it was around 24 minutes or slightly less. Did a modification. Used 90 lbs instead of 75 lbs and drop the reps per round to 60/50/40/30. I think this is more applicable to me since I am a grappler and I always need to be working with a significant amount of explosion. Just a thought. I will try the original version to see if the sufferfest changes at all. Also first time rowing. Intervals were done between 1:48 and 1:59. I need to get a rower.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:50 PM   #39
Michael Latch

Profile:
You can move a 75-lb barbell pretty explosively, too. :crazy:

I want to try your version soon, Alex.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:40 PM   #40
Alex Jonusas

Profile:  
Michael I agree with you. I realize that one of the goals of xfit is to be strong in all arenas of fitness (physiological spectrums). If you were a comptetive athlete, would you modify some of the workout (not all though) so you could maximize the attributes you deem necessary. For instance as a grappler, my matches are seldom longer than 10 minutes. During that time period, there is a significant amount of anaerobic movements going on. Also one has to be in decent aerobic shape if one wants to be able to last more than the initial barrage of your opponent and your own. My point (long winded) is, do you feel it appropriate to use more weight but with less reps if it mimics your chosen sport. I know that many times we want balance and that entails working with exercises and loads that are not common to what we use. Thanks Michael, and by the way I am still significantly sore and the jacket of pain was done last saturday.