CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #11
Brett Dartt

Profile:
Re: ZMA side effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Guy View Post
Well I take it about an hour before bed on an empty stomach. However I also drink a casein protein just before going to bed, the milk in that may contribute? My pain is upper right quadrant abdomen.
the reason is your not supposed to have calcium around it is because it nullifies the effects of the zinc(i think it was the zinc) by absorbing it
Old 09-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #12
Adam Castagno

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Dartt View Post
the reason is your not supposed to have calcium around it is because it nullifies the effects of the zinc(i think it was the zinc) by absorbing it
Correct! They basically cancel one another out during absorption.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #13
Alicia Michel

Profile:

Haven't had any stomach issues with ZMA. The brand I take is primaforce.

Mine says to take it preferably on an empty stomach, and to avoid taking it with foods or supplements containing calcium.

Try it on an empty stomach!
Old 09-24-2011, 09:44 AM   #14
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

You guys taking ZMA have you noted any improvements related to its consumption?

I have read most independent studies conducted found no value to its consumption just wondering what your experience has been. (Aside from dreaming and diahrea!)
Old 09-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #15
Adam Castagno

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Samuels View Post
You guys taking ZMA have you noted any improvements related to its consumption?

I have read most independent studies conducted found no value to its consumption just wondering what your experience has been. (Aside from dreaming and diahrea!)
Hey Rob, I have read a lot of the same stuff. Personally with me, I tend to use it for 3-6 mos then come off of it for just as long, I feel when I first start using it I sleep much better and possibly recover a little better. I also tend to think it may help boost my immune system as well.

I have been back on it since April 1st and after this bottle runs out in the next week or so I will prob not purchase anymore again, possibly ever again actually.

I am just not 100% sold on if it is actually doing much for me, other than placebo. They do say it replenishes vit/minerals lost during intense exercise, but I am sure I am getting enough with my regular multi-vit.min as well as meals. Hope this helps.

BTW I have been using ZMA off and on for the past 6 or so years.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #16
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

That sounds like a pretty qualified review of the stuff given how long you have used it. I sort of expected it not to have rave reviews since that seems to be the consensus of what I have found so far but never hurts to ask! thanks!
Old 09-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #17
Georgia Guy

Profile:

Well I know it is supposed to boost test levels etc. I do know that for the two weeks I was taking it I began to break out again, and I am 40. We did several harsh workouts at the gym and I was not as sore as usual, I contributed that to a possible boost in test levels. If it were a simple tummy ache I could live with it but these are serious pains. I am gonna stop taking it for two weeks then start back up taking a smaller dose then up it if I experience no issues. What so you think?
Old 09-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #18
Brett Dartt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Guy View Post
Well I know it is supposed to boost test levels etc. I do know that for the two weeks I was taking it I began to break out again, and I am 40. We did several harsh workouts at the gym and I was not as sore as usual, I contributed that to a possible boost in test levels. If it were a simple tummy ache I could live with it but these are serious pains. I am gonna stop taking it for two weeks then start back up taking a smaller dose then up it if I experience no issues. What so you think?
that seems to be the consensus everywhere i've read about it. (start with half dose for a couple weeks and then bump it.)
Old 09-25-2011, 07:07 PM   #19
BMH

Profile:  

gives me swole arms....I mean, I haven't taken it and just wanted to interject nonsense.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:41 AM   #20
Brian O'Laughlin

Profile:

Zinc can cause stomach issues. Search 'zinc side effects'.

Mega dose experiments with zinc would sometimes titrate to stomach tolerance.

Reduce the dosage or try eating something along with it.