CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-23-2010, 05:17 AM   #1
Mike Ridgley

Profile:
Raceday Nutrition

I will be racing next week in my first 24 hour Mountain Bike event. I am in a team of 6 so the max I will be on my bike will be 2 hours. I anticipate two sets of 16 mile laps - which I should complete in about 1:40(ish).

Can anyone recommend some good carb sources that I can take to keep me going? All I can think of right now is fruit but that will be hard to tote around on a bike.

I have plenty of time between runs so maybe something that will keep me alive for two hours of non-stop pedaling.

I am strict paleo so supplements are not an option.

Oh, also to clarify, eating fruit while trying to control a bike is dangerous - I was thinking of some natural apple sauce or apple juice?

Thanks!

Last edited by Mike Ridgley; 05-23-2010 at 05:20 AM..
Old 05-23-2010, 05:48 AM   #2
William A Cantrell

Profile:
Re: Raceday Nutrition

Hey ...sounds tough!Kudos on the strict Paleo. Anyway i make my own trail mix (so i can be sure whats really in it) I add some homeade jerky some raw nuts and dehydrated fruit and a bit of coconut slivers. I dont cycle for sport (no compitition) Ill just go for a long ride and this helps me keep my energy levels up. Anyway good luck with your event.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
S.S.

Profile:

If you're strict paleo, fruit is your only option, really.

If I were in your situation, I would forget about being paleo for one day and take sports drinks, gels, electrolyte blocks, salt pills, etc. Paleo man was very active, but he never raced bikes.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:58 AM   #4
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ridgley View Post
Can anyone recommend some good carb sources that I can take to keep me going?
Honey. Buy the squirty bottles and use it like an energy gel.

http://entomology.ucdavis.edu/news/l...egatetalk.html

http://www.nutraingredients.com/Rese...nce-with-honey

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0955.htm

whfoods.org - Honey.

*All links wfs*

Last edited by Darryl Shaw; 05-24-2010 at 08:02 AM..
Old 05-24-2010, 08:14 AM   #5
James Chu

Profile:

Eat before and after each of your 16 mile loops?

You may not need anything if each of your efforts is only about an hour a piece.

If your stomach can handle it, a piece of fruit may be sufficient.

If you need a gel, mix nut butter (or pureed veggies) with some honey and salt and put it into a thin ziploc bag (not the freezer type). Push all of the mix into a corner and tie it off, so that it's packed into the corner pretty well. When needed, just bite off the corner and squeeze like you would a gel or if you were piping icing.

Coconut oil can be used as a mild binder if you need it to be less watery.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
Cassie Savage

Profile:

Dried fruit. Just make sure it doesn't have added sugar.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
S.S.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie Savage View Post
The whole point of eating dried fruit during an endurance event is to get sugar. Why anyone would avoid it during this situation is beyond me.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
Cassie Savage

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
The whole point of eating dried fruit during an endurance event is to get sugar. Why anyone would avoid it during this situation is beyond me.
OP said he was strict paleo, so I assume he wouldn't want added sugar?
Old 05-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie Savage View Post
I used to like dried fruit during event but you need to be a little cautious due to the high fibre content. You may experience unwanted rumblings.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #10
Scott Brafford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ridgley View Post
I will be racing next week in my first 24 hour Mountain Bike event. I am in a team of 6 so the max I will be on my bike will be 2 hours. I anticipate two sets of 16 mile laps - which I should complete in about 1:40(ish).

Can anyone recommend some good carb sources that I can take to keep me going? All I can think of right now is fruit but that will be hard to tote around on a bike.

I have plenty of time between runs so maybe something that will keep me alive for two hours of non-stop pedaling.

I am strict paleo so supplements are not an option.

Oh, also to clarify, eating fruit while trying to control a bike is dangerous - I was thinking of some natural apple sauce or apple juice?

Thanks!
First of all, I don't do paleo, and am only superficially familiar.. so bear with me on my recomendations.

However, I've competed in three 24 hour bike races (two five man, one four man), and one 8hr single speed solo. I've also run food for five teams at a time at three seperate 24 hr events (the two I competed in +1 that I couldn't).

Of those five teams, at three seperate events, we had 3, 3, and 2 podiums respectively for their age groups. So... I kinda know what I'm talking about here (for once).

First, do the math: If your estimating 1:40 laps, for maths sake 1:30. 24hrs/1:30 is 16 anticipated laps for your entire team. Divide that by your six members you get 2.7 laps per person. i.e. the people who go first in the rotation will do three, and the last will do two. Put your slowest guys last.

Since you have five other teamates, at 1:30 per lap, you get a WHOPPING 7.5 hours between laps... i.e. your golden on food. You have time to digest pretty much anything. (in my four man race we were cranking sub 1hr laps so we had less than 3 hours rest between.. we had to use a soft food and liquid based diet - Hammer Perpetuem, Recoverite, Gel, and some fruit, cheese, crackers, etc)

Recommended process: Lap - cooldown/hydrate - eat - rest/sleep as much as you can - wake - eat a small snack - lap - repeat

General recommendation #1 - avoid Soy based proteins. Digestion of soy leads to buildup of amonia in the bloodstream and the feeling of heavy, fatigued legs. Though this usually is processed after four hours.. better safe than sorry (this is why vegitarians smell funny ).

General recommendation #2 - each teamate should carry two electrolyte pills and a few chewable pepto bismol tabs. The two biggest downfalls after food are electrolytes and digestion. The schedule wrecks your system and many people end up with bloating, gas, diahreea, or burning wet farts..

pepto = gold in crumbly pink form.

If you find yourself dying half way out on a lap, take two electrolyte pills (I know, you may not believe in them.. but dying at 4am sucks). Within ten minutes you will feel at least 30% better and able to keep powering. If happen you start cramping, you will want to send me flowers for this nugget of advice.

For electrolyte pills, gel, etc I highly recommend www.hammernutrition.com (WORK & FAM SAFE - and very informative).

General recommendation #3 - Save a dry base layer for each of your anticipated night laps. It really, really sucks waking up at 4am and putting on cold, wet cloths. You never really warm up.

General recommendation #4 - Think hard about the process of who wakes who up for the next lap. Write the order down, and it should be the responsability of the person who just finished their lap to make sure the next person out is awake & PHYSICALLY UP before they are allowed to go to sleep.

That way sleeping beauty can warm up, eat, etc during the 1:40 the current teammate is gone and be waiting at the starting line with time to spare. If you don't do this you WILL have missed starts from people not waking up.

You should also keep a white board tracking lap times, and everyone writes down when they finished their last lap. That way a simple look at the board and a little math and you know about when to expect your teammate to return (and your lap to start). Oh, and tape a clock or watch to the board.. you'll need it.

WHAT TO EAT:
1 - as outlined above, you've got plenty of digestion time, so it doesn't really matter. Most anything will be out of your system within four hours. I'd avoid vegetables or anything really fiberous. Stick with things that are easy on the stomach, salt is good, spicy is very bad.

2 - Practice eating on the bike before your race! At least practice exercising with food in your stomach. Believe it or not, this has to be learned to avoid crazy gas, vomit-burps, bloating, etc. Beyond that, knowing what sits in your stomach and what doesn't is nice.

3 - Eat a solid meal immediately after your lap. It's better to eat too much than too little. Once you fall behind it's really hard to catch up. Your body cannot physically process fat stores fast enough for the rate you deplete your energy stores.

So by eating immediately after your lap your replacing glycogen stores which are your body's primary, fastest source of fuel. It also gives you time to digest. MAKE SURE THE MEAL INCLUDES A BALANCE OF SIMPLE CARBS AND PROTEIN. PROTEIN IS VERY IMPORTANT. Fat is also pretty essential.. but not in large amounts. You'll probably get plenty by eating a little meat, just don't avoid it.. your racing not dieting. (ingesting fat during endurance events actually stimulates your body to release and metabolize stored fat cells faster than if you had 0 fat intake).

4 - Eat a light snack 10 minutes or so before your lap. This should be simple carbs and can include juice, fruit, a few nuts, bread, crackers, whatever. (again, I like hammer gel from the link above - apple cinnamon is delicious - though not really paleo)

5 - 1:40 laps aren't THAT long. If you eat properly between laps, you probably won't need food on your lap. Obviously you should bring some anyway. Raisins are great - lots of potasium and sugar. Banana's are God's superfood. They have sugar, a little fat, potassium, low glycemic index, etc. Yes, bannana's can be eaten on the bike.. just open it with your teeth.

FYI - whoever gets the sunrise lap is the luckiest SOB on the team. Riding through the night and watching the sun come up is like witnessing the hand of God.

Feel free to ask questions. Nutrition, equipment, whatever.

Enjoy and good luck. These events are surprisingly fun.

Scott

Last edited by Scott Brafford; 05-25-2010 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: addl info