CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
Mary Poulin

Profile:
recipe ideas for calcium

ok, I did find a post that talked a lot about calcium. How about some examples of recipes or ways you eat those calcium fortified veggies. I'm guessing or hoping that people do try to make sure they are getting there calcium if not eating dairy. Some of these on the list are a little foreign to me and I wouldn't know how to eat them. Plain? In a salad? Some other concauction? Examples would be awesome.

Beet greens
Chives, freeze-dried
Collard greens
Mustard greens
Kale
Turnip greens
Nopales
Dandelion greens
Sea weeds
Old 01-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: recipe ideas for calcium

I haven't cooked any of those, but one option is to take a calcium-magnesium-zinc supplement to make up for the calcium you're not getting from dairy. Aside from that, as Cordain points out in his book, your calcium intake doesn't matter too much because (assuming you're eating mostly Paleo) a Paleo diet is alkaline-producing due to all the fruits and vegetables and lack of grains. Grains and other acid-producing foods lead your body to break down muscles and bones in an effort to neutralize acidic blood. So adequate calcium is a matter of calcium balance (calcium in minus calcium out) rather than strictly a matter of intake.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
Cassie Savage

Profile:

You should cook really thick, leafy greens like the ones you listed. It's easier for your body to absorb the nutrients that way, plus loads easier to eat them. I don't know anyone who could manage a salad with raw collards
Old 01-18-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Green leafies are awesome sauteed in olive oil and garlic. Add red pepper and/or grated parmesan cheese if desired.

The more spinach-like ones also make an excellent spinach and tomato pasta sauce. (Eat as a vegetable side dish if you're avoiding pasta.)

Or throw a few handfuls into a stir fry, with either chopped up stems (like chard) or something like snow peas added for crunch.

They're almost all tasty raw, and can be used in both fresh and wilted salads.

I like them steamed with a splash of vinegar, but that's kind of an acquired taste.

Be sure to rinse thoroughly before cooking, as they do tend to come with a bit of sand. The books recommend using enough water so that they float and the sand settles out.

Katherine