CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:
Question craving sweets/sugar

I crave sweets like crazy. I really need to give them up. I have hypoglycemia and think this has something to do with the cravings. I've heard once you give them up you'll stop craving them. Is this true? And do I need to give up my beloved coffee creamer? I don't want to undermind myself.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Wayne Riddle

Profile:
Re: craving sweets/sugar

I haven't done it, but perhaps the 30 day paleo challenge to help with the cravings.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:

yeah, I'm honestly considering doing Paleo. I'm looking to get leaner. I have IBS and have given up red meat and pork almost a year ago (it seems to help w/ my IBS). I'm thinking if I go Paleo I may need to incorporate these back into my diet?? My carb/sugar cravings are underminding my progress w/ CrossFit. I keep thinking I'd be in much better looking shape if I didn't eat pure crap all the time
Old 01-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
Sarah Powell

Profile:

yes,

you will definitely see quicker/ faster results in your body doing paleo. it will also improve your crossfit performance and overall well being

i have a major sweet tooth too, but im getting through paleo a day at a time and it's become easier to not crave as much sweets with time. goodluck!
Old 01-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
Michael Dries

Profile:

IBS is believed by many to be a gluten intolerance, also issues with dairy and some of the other paleo no-no foods.

Yes, welcome red meat back into your life, it will treat you right. :-)

When I have a sweets craving I found fruit or even dried fruit seems to curb it for me.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
Stephen Yosypiw

Profile:

I'm not sure people here will be able to diagnose the cause of your IBS online, even if they do know a lot about it or are medical professionals. Is it possible to get checked for the gluten intolerance that Michael talks about?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #7
Michael Dries

Profile:

Just to mention, I'm not a dr or attempting to diagnose a thing... Hence why I said "it's believe by many "

God is believe by many, doesn't make him real? ;-)

As many here will tell you, try a true paleo approach for 30+ days and see what happens.

Odds are you IBS might clear up and your performance will increase, based on other people's anecdotal evidence and stories.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:44 AM   #8
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

I agree with others on the gluten thing, something to have checked and maybe try cutting grains out for a month and see what happens.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:26 AM   #9
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:

I've had a blood test for celiac that was negative. Grains don't seem to "bother" me that I am noticing, not immediately at least. My gastro doc suggested giving up dairy to see what happens. I honestly haven't done that completely, although my dairy intake is down quite a bit. I'm frustrated w/ doctor's because I've been told to eat more often to avoid blood sugar lows, but when I'm eating every 2 hours I need to start looking at what I'm eating in the first place. I don't think eating peanut butter crackers at a 2 hour mark is a fix if I'm eating crap 2 hours before. I need to fix my overall eating in general. I think my major amounts of carb/sweet binging are causing me to go hypo in the first place.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:23 AM   #10
Cassie Savage

Profile:

After not eating sweets for awhile you do stop craving them to some extent, but not completely, in my experience anyway. But the few times I have had something really sweet when I was craving it (like cake or brownies or something) I've definitely paid for it afterwards, I can't move for hours because I get so weak and shaky. So knowing that you'll feel like that if you do eat sweets helps motivate you to not eat them.