CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-06-2006, 04:58 AM   #1
Troy Archie

Profile:
Just curious if anyone out there is a member of Slow Food or practices it's mindset?
Old 06-06-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
Kurt Holm

Profile:
I try
Old 06-06-2006, 07:39 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

I love the idea in principle. Good luck on implementing in my life however . . . doing so would require major changes that I'm not prepared to deal with right now (too busy chasing the almighty $).

(I'm sort of like most people are about real exercise . . . it's an excellent idea, but too much trouble to actually *do* . . . so I just watch and admire.)
Old 06-07-2006, 08:55 AM   #4
Brendan Fournier

Profile:
Yeah, I think they're pretty cool. They're basically anti-fast food, which is good. When I lived in California, I hooked up with a local group and through them I got in touch with lots of farmers...great direct sources for grass-fed meat, locally-grown veggies, etc. And the idea that meals should be relaxing and something to share with your friends or family is a good goal, even if I don't quite succeed all the time...
Old 06-08-2006, 04:16 AM   #5
Troy Archie

Profile:
Yeah you could easily spend a bundle living a pure slow food lifestyle but there's lots and lots of merits to it. Like even something as simple as making your own soup stock for cooking instead of the store bought crap can make such a big difference in your cooking and it's funny, a lot of the principles that they hold are ones that my grandparents instil.

I'm also liking the principle of good bad things. Like if you're going to eat something that's not the healthiest or more like what a Crossfitter thinks is healthy, at least do it really really good and with class. If you're going to eat chocolate, go out and spend some good money and buy yourself a high quality piece of chocolate and when you do decide to break down and have some, sit down and really enjoy it. Don't go out and buy a Mars bar and wolf it down while you're peeling down the road with one hand on the steering wheel, the other playing with the radio dial and the Mars bar crammed into your mouth. That can all be said for whatever your "sin" is wether it's chocolate, cheese, coffee (ahh, the sacred 3 C's), wine or beer. The same goes with eating out I think. Don't go out and buy a crappy meal at some dump on your cheat day/meal, skip the pizza too. Go out and treat yourself to a really really good, and expensive meal. Sit down, enjoy it. Enthral yourself in the food. Ha, that reminds me of a time I saw this lady driving the road with an open pizza box over the steering wheel, wolfing down a slice. Oddly enough she was rather obese, huh, how do you like that?
Old 06-10-2006, 12:52 PM   #6
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Good advice there Troy. When I have beer, it ain't Bud Light...it's Guinness, Goose Island, Rogue, or some other beer that is for something other than just getting drunk. In fact, I've become a beer snob....I can barely even get the American macrobrews down anymore.