CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-07-2006, 09:49 AM   #1
Garrett Smith

Profile:
So the debate about whether or not organic vegetables have more nutrients rages on...fine with me.

As for reasons to avoid non-organic fruits and veggies...see here: http://www.newswithviews.com/Smith/jeffrey12.htm . Seems to be pretty-well referenced.

Believe it or not. If you trust the combination of government and corporations for your health, be my guest.

Don't feel you have the funds to buy organic (or you'd rather choose to spend your $$ other places)? Here's a link to the particular fruits and veggies that one needs to be the most concerned about buying organic or avoiding: http://www.foodnews.org/reportcard.php .

Enjoy!
Old 06-07-2006, 12:32 PM   #2
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Good article. Glad to know the two veggies I eat the most - brocoli and asparagus, are on the list of vegatables least likely to have pesticides on them (Didn't Art D say at one time that asparagus was the king of veggies?).

As for the fruits - the five least likely to have pesticide residues on them are pineapples, mangoes, bananas, kiwi and papaya. Unfortunately, these guys are higher on the gi index as well. Oh well.

Good stuff nonetheless.

Old 06-07-2006, 03:25 PM   #3
Nikki Young

Profile:
I would think broccoli would have a high pesticide level because of the small 'fluffy' like top, all the chemicals would seep into those areas fast. I also heard they are one of the top veggies for holding pesticides and the like, because of that reason.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #4
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Maybe insects are like people and don't like broccoli so they don't have to spray it. :wink:
Old 06-07-2006, 07:53 PM   #5
Nikki Young

Profile:
Nah! Once i got some broccoli from the farmers markets and it was full of these green caterpillar like bugs, like.. FULL of them. Good thing they didn't taste of anything cause i swear i would have eaten a lot of them!
Old 06-08-2006, 06:13 AM   #6
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
As for reasons to avoid non-organic fruits and veggies...see here: http://www.newswithviews.com/Smith/jeffrey12.htm . Seems to be pretty-well referenced.

The article is about genetically modified crops not all non-organically grown crops. Genetically modified crops are typically soybeans, wheat, corn and potatoes (the junk crops). Anyway, humans have used selective breeding to modify crops for thousands of years. It's impossible to avoid gentically modified food. So there's nothing that can be done to avoid the risks discussed in that article.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:02 PM   #7
Garrett Smith

Profile:
The veggies high in sulphur (cruciferous--broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, cabbage, etc.) are not as attractive to bugs. The fruits that tend to be high in sugar and/or don't have "tougher" skins are more attractive to bugs. Those are some of the general reasons for pesticides being higher in particular fruits/veggies.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:16 PM   #8
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Charlie,
So pessimistic. Tsk, tsk.

I do feel there's good reason to distinguish between taking two crops and naturally hybridizing them (within species) and taking genes from totally unrelated plants (and animals! http://www.time.com/time/daily/speci...ics/plant.html ) and placing them in other species.

If organic crops are, theoretically, now free of further "planned" genetic modification, how then do you reach the logical conclusion that "nothing that can be done to avoid the risks discussed in that article." Eat organic fruits and vegetables! They're not GMOs!

One process, cross-breeding, could (and does) happen naturally. The other process, man playing with genes like we're G*d, is a slippery slope that we don't know the consequences of.

Giving up is just such a weak stance to me.

I was softening on you, Charlie, and then you picked your avatar. How do you really want to be perceived on this board?