CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-25-2005, 01:28 PM   #1
Steve Shafley

Profile:
Holy smokes, this kettlebell thing is getting out of hand.

DragonDoor sells them, of course. Actually not the most expensive, but pricey. I am tired of people yowling about how DragonDoor kbs are the only and the best kb out there. I've seen a DD 32kg and a K2 32kg and my Gill 32 kb. The DD and K2's are very similar with similar handles. The Gill has a big, honking straight handle that's thick.

Detroit Barbell makes a spiffy KB that's adjustble with shot-my immediate impression is that shifting shot might mess with the mechanics of kb work, but John Davies uses DBB kbs extensively, and doesn't ***** about it. Plus, they look awesome, I've seen DBB work and it's very nice.

http://www.detroitbarbell.com/kettlebells.htm

Max KBs: Max seem to be better than the PowerMax from Gill, but not as good as DD and K2. However, John Brookfield, Jesse Marunde, and the Diesel Crew use a lot of them, and say they work fine.

http://www.maxkettlebells.com/

We all know that Gill Athletic will give Crossfitters a discount on the PowerMax kbs. We also know that real "giriveks" turn their noses up because the straight hands makes is somewhat harder to snatch.

I have a full set of Gills, got them cheap, and are happy with them. I do snatches, swings, bent presses, etc...all those moves with them, and I haven't hurt myself yet. You have to learn how to flip and soften the bells impact, which is very simple, and Tom Corrigan described it in his CrossfitLive interview.

There's a guy named "Lich" over on the ******** board who regular makes trips to Russia and buys authentic russian kbs used in the competitions over there, so you can PM him about them if you are in Europe.

Bottom line is this: DD and K2 kbs are probably the "best" you can get. If you need the best, if you have a personal loyalty to Pavel Tsatsouline and DragonDoor, and want to support an American company, go with them or with the ex-military guys who run K2.

If you want a unique, forged kb, go with Detroit Barbell.

If you are cheap, and want to get in the ground floor and do some messing around, probably a kettlestack or the Gill kbs are for you.

Some quick notes:

1. They are all going to get you to roughly the same place at the same time.
2. You should pick up the RKC video for decent instruction. I am not buying into the whole "You need a RKC instructor to teach you the basics thing", mostly because I, who don't have near the kinesthetic sense of many of you who do more gymnastic movements, am able to learn decently by myself. If you got a RKC by you, or want to learn, sure, go for it. There's nothing wrong with it.
3. It's far more important just to go and do something rather than talk about it excessively.

Old 09-25-2005, 03:10 PM   #2
Josh Brehm

Profile:
I'm going to be getting the gills, but I'm also intrigued by these detroit BB kettlebells, whats the pros and cons of these kettlebells?
Old 09-25-2005, 03:31 PM   #3
Tim Weaver

Profile:
I've got one of the adjustable US Kettlebells and it seems to be working just fine for me. Adjusts from 1-2 poods
Old 09-25-2005, 03:43 PM   #4
Brendan Melville

Profile:
I just bought my first KBs, and I chose DD. Playing with the 1pd and the 1.5 pd is in the mail. Who the hell cares where they come from, just get some! They are amazing.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:57 PM   #5
Skip Chase

Profile:
I ordered mine last week. Gills. (I went the cheap route) A local Gill distributor quoted a price lower than what Gill quoted for 2 sets from 4k-32k. Should have them sometime this week.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:01 PM   #6
Ronnie Ashlock

Profile:
I second Brendan! Get some!

I should get my 1 pood tomorrow from DD. I have s 1.5 pood and I love it. Versatile, devastating and awesome, KBs rock.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:35 PM   #7
Skip Chase

Profile:
Received my Gills yesterday. I like the thick grip.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:29 AM   #8
Kevin Scott

Profile:
i own a detroit bb kettlebell. It's by far the best kettlebell i think. I got the big 10 inch bell and had them put a special 2" thick handle on it. I would have got the 3 inch thick handle but they weren't offering it when I got it. THe bell is huge lol. It makes my other kettlebells look tiny because it's hollow inside. It's adjustable from 54lbs to 195lbs. It can be filled with shot, water, sand, or anything you can fit through a 1 inch hole. I haven't even noticed the weight shifting back and forth. The bell cost me 200 with shipping. They sell smaller bells and smaller handles and the price gets a good amount cheaper if you get smaller with the regular handle. I really wanted the large handle so I could have something different. I also have a gill small 26lbs kb for my fiance. I really like the gill kb's. I tried dragon doors and personal like the gills the same if not more. I can't see any difference except the dragon door bells may have a slightly nicer finish to them. I have no difficulty whatsoever snatching the way the gill is set up either. I really like the detroit barbell kb's though and they are really tough. They are made of steel and are vertually unbreakable. Iron kettlebells if they land on their handle wrong can actually break the handle. Either way get a kb. They are fun and I can't say enough good stuff about them.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:52 AM   #9
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
I have a DBB KB. AWESOME to say the least. Solid construction. Also, the DBB guys are really cool. Since I live in the area, I went to pick it up from them, and they let me play with all their cool equipment in the backyard and stuff. It was sweet.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:39 PM   #10
Kevin Scott

Profile:
I'm jealous lol. I live in upstate new york and had to have it shipped. i want one of everything they make.