CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-14-2016, 08:04 PM   #1
Michael Haning

Profile:
Always getting injured by deadlifting

Hi all! Would really love some feedback...

I've been doing CrossFit for over 8 years, and have been coaching and / or running an affiliate for about 6 years and have always struggled with deadlifting. Ever since starting CrossFit, I've been pretty good at it, especially the engine heavy met-cons like "Fran", "Helen", "Jackie", etc. even on workouts like "Diane" with 225# deadlifts, I can do them all unbroken. 2 years ago, I was doing a workout with 315# deadlifts and I herniated my L5/S1 disc. It was awful. A fews before surgery, it started getting better and over the next 5 months or so, I got back to 100%. I brought deadlifts back into my workouts slowly and steadily. About 2 months ago we had deadlifts programmed and felt really good and went to 295. (I'm 5' 10" and weigh 180# BTW). Again, something happened and I have been nursing a back injury for 2 months.

I'm CrossFit L-2 and can teach the deadlift very well, and form doesn't seem to be my problem. I know my limitations and would never pull with a rounded / overextended back. This last time I got hurt, I had two other coaches watching and videoing my deadlifts. There were no major mechanical errors. I felt fine after doing them, but about 24 hours later the pain started in.

I've never been able to deadlift over 375#.

Now, as I'm finally getting back to normal, I'd love some feedback on strengthening my deadlift. Had anylne dealt with this before? Are my hamstrings what need to be strengthened? My lower back? What accessory work should I be doing? (I have a GHD machine in my garage). Should I start on a very light and simple deadlifting program to build up slowly?

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-14-2016, 11:36 PM   #2
Sean J Hunter

Profile:
Re: Always getting injured by deadlifting

Hi Micheal,

DELAYED pain after a Deadlift could suggest a spinal facet lock, this possability is increased due to the previous injury.

Can you provide symptoms of this eposide, and what medical professionals have you talked to regarding this episode, and what have they definatively told you.

Sean
Old 05-17-2016, 09:50 AM   #3
Michael Haning

Profile:

Thanks for your reply. I really haven't talked to many medical professionals this go-round. Whenever I go to the chiropractor, they just adjust me and tell me to be careful.

I say "delayed" because there was no acute injury...in other words I didn't feel a "pop" or experience any intense pain. I just deadlifted like normal, and then about 8 hours later a very slow dull pain started setting in. That's exactly what happened when I had the herniated disc.

The pain has almost gone away 100% now.

Does that help?
Old 05-17-2016, 03:22 PM   #4
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

OK, what you just said there, moves me away from facet lock.

But read this, and give me some detailed feedback on how much it hits home.

http://www.physio-pedia.com/Facet_Joint_Syndrome

Secondly, go see a GOOD Physio...do your homework...specilizes in back injuries and has good reviews, and good qualifications. Travel if you need to.

If you want to solve this, then you;ve got to want to solve this.

Sean
Old 05-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #5
Shay Coleman

Profile:

I'll throw my two cents in. I'm about your same height and weight 5'10" and 185-190lbs.

I don't know how old you are but I'm almost 40.

Your issue could be the fact that your max Deadlift has been 375 and you're running deadlifts at 225 in Diane unbroken. And another workout you said at 84% of your 1rm. To me that's just a recipe for injury at some point, there's very little if anything to gain from that.
My 1rm is 405 and I won't do more than 8 reps if I'm above 65%. Deadlifts just aren't meant to be performed at high reps above a certain percentage. I do Diane and break it down into 4-5 reps with a three breath break to reset.

My suggestion to strengthen your deadlift is start from the heaviest weight you can stay 100% confident at for 3-4 reps for 6 sets resting for a full minute between sets, then increase that by 5 lbs (yes only 5lbs) every few days for 8 weeks.

Just dial back your volume, and for awhile the load
Old 05-18-2016, 04:48 AM   #6
Michael A. Jones

Profile:

My 2 cents worth is to work on core strength. I haven't had any significant back injuries but 21 plus years in the Infantry has had a toll on me.
I'm 46 and been Crossfitting for well over a decade, and I LOVE deadlifts!! I learned, chalked it up to "wisdom", to value core strength and stability. My 1RM is 415# but I have not treaded those waters for a while....I train about 50-70% of that max and vary intensity and volume every other week, and work on core.
Came across this video a few days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXzqWHuAkAM (WSF) He's not Crossfit expert but does provide some sound, medical advice and tips that have helped me with several areas.
Good luck!
Old 05-18-2016, 08:24 AM   #7
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Start zercher squatting and front squatting more. Build your leg strength up, and deadlifts are no problem. I always do variations of the normal deadlifts(Romanian either snatch or clean geip) and found no need for traditional deadliftimg training as my deadliftimg shot up without stressing over it.

The key is to use a load that is moderate in intensity and to perform it daily for a couple sets(no more than 10-15 total work reps). Not only will your strength increase, but your confidence will. Case in point, I pressed everyday overhead using no more than 130lbs and Benched 225 for 10 reps after not benching for over 2 month a (my best PR was 7-8).
Old 05-21-2016, 07:26 PM   #8
David Meverden

Profile:

If you can't find a really good physio then self education may be helpful. A powerlifter I know speaks very highly of Dr. Steward McGill's work. He has worked with a variety of strength athletes and helped them get back to maximal lifting after serious back problems.

His book Ultimate Back Fitness and Performance (5th Edition-2014) would probably be what you'd want.

Here's his website http://www.backfitpro.com/ (WFS).

Though I don't have any serious back problems I bought his book Back Mechanic: The Step-by-step McGill Method to fix back pain and it's some good stuff, though less aimed at athletes than the other one I mentioned above. Changed how I thought about some aspects of the back and core training.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:07 AM   #9
Michael Haning

Profile:

Thanks Shay! I'm 33, so not far behind you. I have been thinking about some sort of deadlift progression. I'll give this a shot.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:14 AM   #10
Michael Haning

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
If you can't find a really good physio then self education may be helpful. A powerlifter I know speaks very highly of Dr. Steward McGill's work. He has worked with a variety of strength athletes and helped them get back to maximal lifting after serious back problems.

His book Ultimate Back Fitness and Performance (5th Edition-2014) would probably be what you'd want.

Here's his website http://www.backfitpro.com/ (WFS).

Though I don't have any serious back problems I bought his book Back Mechanic: The Step-by-step McGill Method to fix back pain and it's some good stuff, though less aimed at athletes than the other one I mentioned above. Changed how I thought about some aspects of the back and core training.
Thanks David. I just ordered the book. Really appreciate the recommendation.