CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-02-2005, 03:11 PM   #1
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Ok, I've always wanted to plan 10-15 day excursion to Alaska, and I finally found a girl that not only is willing to go, but was totally hyped by the idea!

Since this doesn't come by very often, I thought it'd be wise to start making my ideal itinerary so the idea doesn't lose any steam!:happy:

The net is full of adventure-packages so I really don't know where to start.

So here are my questions:

1. What are the best places to see (nature-wise)?

2. Should I make my own plan, combining things, companies, adventures and services, or should I stick with pre-packaged trips?

3. The activities that most interest me are trekking, cayaking, rafting, bush flying/glacier flying, camping etc. But I am no expert on what the "best things to do" in the Alaskan wilderness are so I'm open to your suggestions.

4. Do you reccomend a more outdoorsy, camping approach, or a combination of action, adventure and a comfortable place to sleep at?

I'm 25, she's 28 and we're very easy going either way. The thing is that I'd prefer if we were around younger people rather than older couples but I just don't know with which way we'll enjoy our time more over there.

5. Last but not least, any websites or other revelant links you may have and would reccomend are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance!
:happy:
Old 08-03-2005, 07:08 AM   #2
Don Woodson

Profile:
I spent the summer in Anchorage back in '96. Unfortunately it was a work trip. Not much play at all.
But Anchorage seems to be the place to start everything from. Most of your fly-in fishing/sightseeing trips start out of Lake Hood in Anchorage. And as I understand it, most of the kayaking is done from Seward. A must do is a flightseeing tour over the Chugach mountains and Glaciers. Awesome scenery.
A couple friends of mine rented a Winnebago and drove down the Kenai penninsula, dropped it off and rode the train up to Denali Park. They had a blast. I was stuck in Anchorage fixing airplanes.

This seems to be a good website to get you going:
http://www.alaskatravel.com/index.html
Old 08-03-2005, 11:16 AM   #3
Stephen Solano

Profile:
I spent a summer in the Inside Passage of southeast Alaska. I took a boat from Bellingham Washington and it took approximately three days. The scenery and people I met were awesome. After the Salmon season ended some coworkers and I backpacked up to the Yukon Territory. I wanted to travel to Anchorage, however the money thing ran out. I always said I'd go back, but never have.

Good Luck, you'll have a lot of fun.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:16 PM   #4
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Guys, here's what I've found so far. Any opinions on these different options?

Option 1:
http://www.exposurealaska.com/xxtreme.htm
Photos:
http://www.exposurealaska.com/images2/album1/index.htm

Option 2:
http://www.alaska-tours.bz/alaska%20tours.htm

Option:3
http://www.discoveradventures.com/Aliy.htm

Option 4:
http://www.trekalaska.com/trips/alas...rip-7pass.html
Old 08-04-2005, 04:20 PM   #5
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Choose your travel partner very carefully. I did a week-long backwoods canoeing trip last Summer with a gal friend...while I had a great time, it ended our friendship. Believe me, I thought going in that she'd be a perfect (platonic) companion in the outdoors, but it was a disaster.

Just be careful.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:09 PM   #6
David Werner

Profile:
Alexander

I can't help with the Alaska knowledge but if your travel arrangements bring you through Seattle please make plans to stay for a day or two and visit us at Crossfit North

Dave Werner
Crossfit North
Old 08-05-2005, 01:03 AM   #7
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Dave,

Thank your for your invitation! I'd trully be honoured to stop by and meet you guys! (Come to think of it, what a place to bring a date to! We could have "Honey, remember that time you made me throw up?" stories in a couple of years from now!:biggrin:

Matt, I certainly won't be going for platonic so that too is part of my considerations. I don't know what 10 days of camping does to the libido...:wink:
Old 08-05-2005, 08:55 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
In 1984, I graduated College and went to Alaska for three months. Drove a "car drive away" to Seattle and took the Alaska Marine Highway up to the end...hitch hiked to Denali, spent a couple of months there and then went to a NOLES school above the Artic circle. Had about $100 left when I hitch hiked into Anchorage and went to the "Alaskan Bush Company" bar for 1 beer...blew $50, use your imagination. Could only afford a ticket to Denver and hitch hiked to Chicago while practicing my IF skills. I suggest bringing more money. People say the north south railroad is unbelievable, like the wild west. The salmon is awesome. Wish I could help more, have a great time.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:13 AM   #9
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
Alex
Spent a month climbing/camping in Alaska. Know a few things about it. Can't emphasize enough what Matt says about being sure of your partner.
It will make or break the trip.

What do you want to do while you're there?? Be glad to answer some questions for you.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:34 AM   #10
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Guys, thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, it looks like we don't have enough time to make it this season, and everyone keeps reccomending July/August as the best time (still too much snow in May/June), so I guess I'll be going slower on this.

The general idea was to make a 7-10 day long trip with a lot of activity, a lot of nice things to see, and a chance to clear off my head a little bit.