CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 09-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
Erin Hightower

Profile:
reasons crossfit is *explative*

Reasons why Crossfit is c***
thoughts?
rebuttals?

http://www.macssistance.com/2009/07/...ssfit-is-crap/
not quite WFS because of the cr@9 word and because many of you probably will yell profanity upon reading it

Old 09-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Ian Nigh

Profile:
Re: reasons crossfit is *explative*

hmm, of all the intelligent criticisms one could make of CrossFit, that article touches on none. It seems rather like it regurgitates most of the knee-jerk comments old fashioned personal trainers make when first exposed to CrossFit. IMHO, that article is crap.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
Steve Bray

Profile:

read the comments on the blog. pretty much explains why his blog isnt well thought out. he tried to sound smart but it really wasnt.
|Deadlift 220kgs|Strict press 75kgs|squat 162.5kgs|pullups 67|477 double unders|26rounds cindy| 2:28 Fran|6:08 annie|12 rnd NATE|full snatch 95kg|C+J 110kg|
Old 09-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
Jay Mulder

Profile:

But guys he totally understands "muscle confusion"!
Old 09-09-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
Erin Hightower

Profile:

I know... this guy seems full of it.
Short of shake weights... I try to never make fun of anyone else's workouts... even zumba and cardio bunnies... they all have a palce
Old 09-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Take for example the power clean. This is a power movement, meaning it must be performed at high speeds, which is why (for the most part) no well-educated strength coach will have his athletes perform more than 6 reps per set on this lift. In CrossFit workouts, you may do as many as 25 reps per set on power clean. Yes, this will get you tired, and yes, this will get you in better aerobic shape–but is that the purpose of power clean? Absolutely not! Cleans build explosive power from the ground up which directly correlates to jumping ability and sprinting speed. In no way should cleans be used for aerobic improvement because the lower back will tire out, thus causing an injury. Additionally, to do 25 reps on a power clean means you will have virtually no weight on the bar. This is my first reason why CrossFit is crap.
a) Yes, high speeds with good form. That's why we emphasize a "finish as fast as possible" method to our workouts, as long as you keep your form tight.
b) If you lower back tires out and you injure yourself, you are going too heavy
c) As you become stronger, you will be able to do a set of 25 high speed power cleans with more and more weight

Quote:
2. CrossFit teaches pull-ups wrong
A pullup is defined as straight arm hang to chin over bar. No arguing with a movement standard just because you want to gain endurance in your back by getting in as many reps as possible by kipping.

Quote:
I have read one workout that puts together 6 exercises. The participant chooses 2 of them to perform back to back. Then rests 4 HOURS, comes back and does another 2, rests 4 more hours, and completes the last 2. What in the world?
I've read of something called a Nubret superset, named after a bodybuilder (I think?). You do 32 supersets of 8 curls and 8 overhead tricep extensions. I have no comment on the writer's apparently heard WOD, but it sounds like the majority of our workouts are more effective than conventional ones.

Quote:
4. CrossFit uses visually appealing lifts with physically sub par results. This statement is based off of only one picture on the CrossFit website, which shows a man deadlifting a telephone pole. While this looks cool, he picks the telephone pole up on one end rather than in the middle. This means that he is actually lifting about 1/3 of the telephone pole’s weight. Looks awesome. But its pointless. This also, is why Crossfit is crap.
*Face Palm*. Buddy, you just lost that argument yourself in the bolded. Basing an argument off of one piece of evidence is like saying going to school causes death, because there was an unfortunate shooting and murder at a school that one time at that one place.

Quote:
Rather than expand on the fitness industry, they take what has been done for years, slap a CrossFit label on it, and convince the public its the most intense way to train.
This is more or less what Arnold Schwarzenegger, Ronnie Coleman, and even P90X and Insanity have done. It seemed to work. They're all very famous fitness persona/programs. I'm pretty sure they all popularized their own favourite exercises, workouts, etc.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Definitely a terrible article. I couldn't help but bash it a little.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
Charles Applin

Profile:

It is a two year old blog, so it's likely been torn to shreds a couple of times in this forum.

Funny thing is, he stated that CF reached critical mass when in reality it continued to get bigger in the following two years. Hind sight, it's a b****.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:54 AM   #8
Pearse Shields

Profile:

If you're going to write an article like that, you need to make it a bit more comprehensive, more reason-based, and less opinionated nonsense.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Applin View Post

Funny thing is, he stated that CF reached critical mass when in reality it continued to get bigger in the following two years. Hind sight, it's a b****.
Critical mass doesn't mean 'it can't get any bigger'. It just means that it's big enough to sustain itself.

The article- whatever, haters will hate. Really not worth a response IMO. You're not going to change his mind and he's not going to change yours.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
Craig Rogers

Profile:

CrossFit uses visually appealing lifts with physically sub par results. This statement is based off of only one picture on the CrossFit website, which shows a man deadlifting a telephone pole. While this looks cool, he picks the telephone pole up on one end rather than in the middle. This means that he is actually lifting about 1/3 of the telephone pole’s weight. Looks awesome. But its pointless. This also, is why Crossfit is crap.

I would love to hear his thoughts on todays pic (the one with the moose legs.)
"This WOD requires a dead moose..."