CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:12 AM   #1
Dean Willis

Profile:
Opening an affiliate...can someone please clarify

Morning all,

I'm faily new to crossfit but certainly not to working out and as the sport isn't as well established here is the UK I can't help but think it represents an excellent business opportunity to those willing to take the plunge while it is very much in growth.

I have a few ideas on how/where I could start but I wondered if people could just clarify something for me as I'm not sure it sits right with me....are we saying that literally anyone who hands over around 600, passes the 2 day L1 certification and pays an affiliation fee can set up shop, coach and trade under the crossfit banner?

The reason for asking for clarity is a 2 day course and questionaire just doesnt seem anywhere like enough training to then be let loose on the general public especialy when I compare against the time frame for passing various other PT couses or olympic lifting coaching courses.

When i discussed it with a friend who is heavily involved in the fitness industry (although by his own admission only has a vague knowledge of crossfit) he was surprised.

Any thoughts and feedback would be great.

Thanks.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:26 AM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Opening an affiliate...can someone please clarify

You should only open up an affiliate when you are ready to do so. If you don't think that a two day course is enough, then get more training. If you aren't comfortable with your own programming, study someone else's until you get comfortable programming your own.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:57 AM   #3
Dean Willis

Profile:

Thanks for your reply..I didnt necessarily mean just for me, i meant for anyone in general, i have a good base knowledge of form etc and already do programing for myself and friends that I train with.

I have no formal qualifications but on looking further in to crossfit and the coaching qualification it just doesn't seem like there is much depth when compared to other qualifications out there.

I could be wrong, there may be much more to it in terms of the philosophy but currently when looking at cost verses benefit I'm not convinced, 600 for the qualification, 2000 per year to affiliate and as far as I'm understanding this gets me a quick training course, I can trade as crossfit whatever I want to call myself and I get to have my affiliate website link on the HQ page.

I really don't want to sound down about it but I have popped my cynical head on this morning
Old 10-17-2013, 04:01 AM   #4
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Willis View Post
Thanks for your reply..I didnt necessarily mean just for me, i meant for anyone in general, i have a good base knowledge of form etc and already do programing for myself and friends that I train with.

I have no formal qualifications but on looking further in to crossfit and the coaching qualification it just doesn't seem like there is much depth when compared to other qualifications out there.

I could be wrong, there may be much more to it in terms of the philosophy but currently when looking at cost verses benefit I'm not convinced, 600 for the qualification, 2000 per year to affiliate and as far as I'm understanding this gets me a quick training course, I can trade as crossfit whatever I want to call myself and I get to have my affiliate website link on the HQ page.

I really don't want to sound down about it but I have popped my cynical head on this morning
LOL. I didn't just mean that for you. I meant it for anyone opening up a facility.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
....are we saying that literally anyone who hands over around 600, passes the 2 day L1 certification and pays an affiliation fee can set up shop, coach and trade under the crossfit banner?
Yep, that is what we are saying.

Quote:
The reason for asking for clarity is a 2 day course and questionnaire just doesn't seem anywhere like enough training to then be let loose on the general public...
Yep, it is not enough. Here in the states two other things are happening. First most affiliates are now being opened by people who have longer experience following CrossFit. Most are branching off from well established gyms. At least in the big cities.

Second there is tough competition in the market place. I have about 6 or 7 gyms around me and all but 1 are very well run. Again the competition of the market place will force good coaching. It actually was very smart on Greg Glassman part to not give affiliates geographic protections. While it is hard work I have to make my gym and coaches better and better if I want to be successful. This is a much stronger force then a longer class to affiliate.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
Bennie Dimas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
Yep, that is what we are saying.

Yep, it is not enough. Here in the states two other things are happening. First most affiliates are now being opened by people who have longer experience following CrossFit. Most are branching off from well established gyms. At least in the big cities.

Second there is tough competition in the market place. I have about 6 or 7 gyms around me and all but 1 are very well run. Again the competition of the market place will force good coaching. It actually was very smart on Greg Glassman part to not give affiliates geographic protections. While it is hard work I have to make my gym and coaches better and better if I want to be successful. This is a much stronger force then a longer class to affiliate.

Very well said Brendan.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
Dean Willis

Profile:

Thanks for the reply, that does make sense....forgive my devils advocate approach but it does seem like a lot of money just to have 'crossfit' above the door.

I guess there are pluses and minuses...options would be buy in to the whole 'crossfit' brand lock stock and barrel, yes you pay for it but as it grows in the UK and more people hear about it is makes recruiting new members a lot easier....or, save your money on the crossfit qualification, trade nder whatever name tockles your fancy and impliment the same training style....long term I suspect the affiliation route is the one that would pay off.

Don't get me wrong, i'm on board with the ethos and the brand but i have questions.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, that does make sense....forgive my devils advocate approach but it does seem like a lot of money just to have 'crossfit' above the door.

I guess there are pluses and minuses...options would be buy in to the whole 'crossfit' brand lock stock and barrel, yes you pay for it but as it grows in the UK and more people hear about it is makes recruiting new members a lot easier....or, save your money on the crossfit qualification, trade nder whatever name tockles your fancy and impliment the same training style....long term I suspect the affiliation route is the one that would pay off.

Don't get me wrong, i'm on board with the ethos and the brand but i have questions.
I see it completely differently. Although extreme, imagine you want to open a burger place, hardware store, or electronics store. You have a choice to name this place Deans Burgers, Deans Hardware, Deans Electronics...or you can call it Mcdonalds, Home Depot, or Best Buy. For $4000 you are CrossFit. You run it how you want and reap all the benefits of being known as the most popular Strength and Conditioning "gym" out there.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
Adam Morden

Profile:

I agree with both Brendan's and Mike's posts above.

I personally don't think that the level 1 on it's own would be enough to make a good coach, but most affiliates now are not starting out wit only that as a background. Many have University degrees, additional certifications, years of experience, etc.

But as to it not being worth it, I highly doubt it. If you charge on average $100/member and members stay say for 1 year on average you only have to sign up 4 members who wouldn't have normally found or joined your facility each year to come out ahead. I would guess I get that many per month due to the name "CrossFit" being attached to my affiliate.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Morden View Post
I agree with both Brendan's and Mike's posts above.

I personally don't think that the level 1 on it's own would be enough to make a good coach, but most affiliates now are not starting out wit only that as a background. Many have University degrees, additional certifications, years of experience, etc.

But as to it not being worth it, I highly doubt it. If you charge on average $100/member and members stay say for 1 year on average you only have to sign up 4 members who wouldn't have normally found or joined your facility each year to come out ahead. I would guess I get that many per month due to the name "CrossFit" being attached to my affiliate.
That's it. I may have said this before but we have to think about what the average person will think when choosing a new program or gym. Is the over weight mother of 2 going to see Solly D's Strength and Conditioning and jump on it? Probably not. She doesn't care to get strong or conditioned. She wants to lose weight. Guess what, mother of 2, CrossFit is the same thing. The only thing difference is her perception. CrossFit gives off a friendly workout environment whereas Solly D's Strength and Conditioning sounds like a gym full of meat heads tossing weights around. We have to think of this thing as the average athlete. Not how we see it. Remember we're from this "family". For $4000, and $3000 a year after, I see it as a steal.