CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 02-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
Dylan Eddy

Profile:
deadlift/power clean feedback

Hey guys,
i finally took the time to film a few lifts. since i am entirly self coached at this point i wanted to get some feedback on form.

i noticed that as the weight increases on the DLs my hips start to rise ahead of the weight, i know this isnt ideal but im not sure how to correct it. (or if it can be fixed... i have long femurs so my legs have to straighten alot to get the bar past my knees...)
anyway.
thanks in advance for telling me what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1gKZwkW-3I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bipnhcO9r0
Old 02-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: deadlift/power clean feedback

One of those you hyperextended, no need to do that, otherwise your form is quite good.

As far as the hip lift thing, your arms should be at max tension and when your hips go up the bar needs to be moving up, otherwise you are just pivoting around where you hand and the bar meets - another reason (and its hard to see) is the bar should be traveling along your shins (not scraping them to bits, but traveling and in contact with).

Also, when you put the bar down, don't relax like that, you are asking to pull something. Go down the opposite way and stay tight.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:

On the powerclean, not bad, except for your catch. Catch by bending the knees and pushing the hips back, not by leaning backwards. Leaning backwards to catch is potentially dangerous, and your doing it.

glenn
Old 02-14-2009, 06:04 PM   #4
Dylan Eddy

Profile:

WOW that was quick! thanks!

George: so more tension in my chest and shoulders at the start and all the way back down after? that makes sense.
i tried starting my hips lower and it resulted in the missed rep, and felt really unnatural. what about starting with my hips a bit higher? i was conciously trying to drag the bar along my shins in the video (and have a bruise to prove it). so i was thinking of starting my hips higher, basically in the position im in in the video when the weight starts to move thus eliminating the extra movement...

Glen: thank you! i didnt even notice that was happening at the time since the weights were light, but i noticed it in the video.
i have a couple of questions for you.
the bar path seems to move back alot. it comes up straight but between the jump and the catch it moves back like 6 inches.
is this bad or just because the weight is light?
also i roll onto the balls of my feet just before i jump, i assume this is bad/inefficient is there an easy fix or is it just something to focus on not doing next time?

thanks again!!
Old 02-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
George Mounce

Profile:

Starting with your hips a bit higher is fine as you are going for a pure strength movement. If you were clean deadlifting then that might be an issue, but since you are not, it will be fine. Yes maximum tension. If something is loose the potential for injury goes up because you are basically yanking instead of pulling if that makes since. Take a big breath, hold it, get tight and pull.

The reason I said what I did is if you are not at the correct starting position your hips will rise first and the bar moves in towards you to lift it, and is a wasted motion. I wear Adidas gym pants when I DL, plus I use one of Glenn's elite bars and there is no knurling to kill my shins anyways in the middle.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

Where are you at in seattle? If you ever get near bellevue your more than welcome to check out our box for free and practice your lifts. Rip has a pretty damned easy way to determine your starting position. from the looks of yours your hips need to start higher.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
Dylan Eddy

Profile:

George: yeah gonna have to rock my knee high socks next time! thanks for all the info. i will focus on body tension next time, its amazing how easy it can be to forget something obvious like that while in the workout...thanks

P.S. how is the deadlift portion of the clean different? i thought it was essentially the same movement?

Gabriel: I wish i had got that invite 3 months ago! sadly i have moved to sunny sothern cali (woe is me). but i appreciate the offer.
Rips set up video on the exercises and demos page is where i learned to deadlift. awesome and simple. this form feels good to me so i was a little suprised to see i was moving so much at the start.
gonna try the higher start next time! we'll see how it goes!

thanks guys!!
Old 02-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #8
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

the video of rip teaching the deadlift on this site is a tad different than the way he teaches it at the cert.

I posted this in another thread but,

When the weight is significantly heavy 2 things will be true when the weight breaks the ground. It will be over the center of your foot, and it will be hanging from your scapula. This puts your arm at about a 7 % angle in front of the bar

Rippetoe has a pretty easy way of setting up for a deadlift that allows your body mechanics and the weight to determine the correct starting position.

Approach the bar and find your stance. Most likely just within the knurling with toes pointed out slightly. The weight should be over mid foot, usually a few fingers widths from touching your shins.

Bend over at the hips. NOT the knees, and grab the bar slightly wider than your stance. DONT MOVE THE BAR.

Now bend at the knees until the shins hit the bar. DONT MOVE THE BAR.

Squeeze your chest up. DONT drop the hips. Its going to be hard to squeeze the chest up without dropping the hips because your hammys are fighting for control of the hip. chest up doesnt mean look up, you want to be looking a bit in front of you and down.

take a deep breath and squeeze the bar off the floor.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #9
Dylan Eddy

Profile:

Gabreal: thats awesome! i actually read the other thread you posted that on this afternoon!
so the idea is that as knees bend the hips lower and the shins move forward. when they hit the bar the hips stop and the back agle is set?
as with all of Rips coaching that is very pragmatic and repeatable.

as for the power cleans i found a suggestion in one of mr. Pendlays posts to practice squat cleans as a means of correcting the backwards lean in my power cleans.
since ive been wanting to do some squat cleans anyway, now ive got an excuse!!

thanks!
Old 02-14-2009, 08:58 PM   #10
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Eddy View Post
P.S. how is the deadlift portion of the clean different? i thought it was essentially the same movement?
Its essentially the same and light-years different. I'd go into it but there have been posts on it already.

You can find most of the discussion here (wfs): http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=39875